Maximum Range Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Maximum Range Question

Post by IronNoggin »

Not so much regarding hunting - I simply am not going to shoot at anything much over 40 yards in that pursuit...

But I am wondering what type of performance might be found at the range related to distance shooting.

I have an Ibex, shooting standard Firebolts (chronographed at just a little less than the suggested 300 fps). I have shot many very reasonable groups with it out to 50 yards, thus leading to the question: How far out there can I expect to maintain good groupings with this bow?

The reason I ask is a handful of Buddies who shoot mostly compounds have invited me to participate in their shooting activities. Used to before my shoulder went to the point I cannot use a compound. Some of the distances they are shooting at are out to 80 plus yards! Good shots obviously, many of them are Professional Guides.

So... I am wondering if I would be able to keep up with these Robin Hood types, or should simply stick within the 40 - 50 yard shoots?

TIA for any and all advice!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
vixenmaster

Re: Maximum Range Question

Post by vixenmaster »

You can shoot decent groups at 80 yds if'en you be good yerself! Yer Bow is accurate enuff hit a coffee cup at 80 yds. Now the real deal is good arrows that don't have any fliers & you yer the main factor in the equation
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Re: Maximum Range Question

Post by VixChix »

We do some long shots at 3D tournaments - some novelty shots are 70-100 yds. The bow can do it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.