Buffalo Setup - Easton FMJ bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Buffalo Setup - Easton FMJ bolts

Post by nchunterkw »

Just heard from a pro-staffer working with the outfitter I am hunting bison with in Dec. He suggests Easton Full Metal Jacket Bolts. He is not a crossbow hunter but does everything archery and has had great success with these shafts on a buffalo - complete pass through. Any one have any experience with these? He also suggested FOC of 15% - any thoughts. Shot will most likely be 40 - 50 yds.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Big58cal

Re: Buffalo Setup - Easton FMJ bolts

Post by Big58cal »

Check with Bill T. and see what he used on his elephant. :wink: If it would take down an elephant, a buffalo should be a piece of cake. :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

A Gold Tip IV with brass insert, Blazer vanes, Firenock, and a 125 grain cut on impact fixed blade broadhead. Will put you at 500 grains with 15% FOC. A 225lbs Excalibur with FFF string would sling it around 310ish fps and give just over 100 ft lbs of kinetic energy.
John
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

You can do about the same with a 2219. Most of the stuff I've read about shooting elephants, Cape Buffalo or other dangerous game with a bow they use double shafts. As in 750+ grain aluminium arrows with a smaller shaft glued inside. Bison are not all that dangerous in comparison but are built like tanks. Weight and a good broadhead will help a lot.
John
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

John ... from what I can tell the Easton FMJ was developed for big game (elk, moose, etc) and is a carbon shaft with an Al shaft around it. Your suggested setup is what I think I am looking for......about 500 grains, 15 - 20% FOC and 300ish fps. I guess I will have to contact Easton or someone to see how much those shafts weigh. How about 22" shafts? I figure that would be another way to up the overall weight.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

from looking at all three the laser IV, FMJ and 2219 are all about 13 to 14 grains per inch. Any of the three would be a great shaft to build from. I've never shot anything bigger then a black bear with a bow and have only ever used Muzzy heads. Muzzy heads are great but the Trocar tip is not known for penetration. The Muzzy Phantom, Slick Trick RazorTrick, NAP Razorcaps, or G5 Montecs would all be great Going on a free range Bison hunt is a dream of mine so I have read a lot about it. I am no expert but have read a lot, just never done it. Hopefully someone who has will chime in.
John
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

BTW I found some 100gr brass inserts on ebay for the FMJs. Hope that helps.
John