Humbled By My New Vortex

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hester0305

Humbled By My New Vortex

Post by Hester0305 »

Well to I went out for the third time to shoot my new Vortex and frankly I haven't been happy with my Goldtip Laser II arrows because I couldn't get them to group, I had 2 maybe 3 good arrows out of 6 that would group at 40 and 50 yards off the bench. Well I found out this afternoon it wasn't my arows after all causing the problem with my grouping it was they way I was cocking my crossbow causing my arrows to shoot left and right. I had marked 2 arrows last time I shot that flew good so I took them out this afternoon and started shooting again at 30 yards and one hit good and the other went way left about 10 inches I started really getting aggravated. The problem is I am a Firearms Instructor and I have shot guns and compound bows for about 30 years and taught many people to shoot both, so I didn't think I could have been doing anything wrong because I was squeezing off every shot. I also thought I remember seeing the video that the string would line up straight as you pull it up with the cocker.
I started walking around my crossbow cocked and on safety of course on the bench with an arrow in it looking at everything to see if I could find out what was wrong when I noticed the serving was sticking out more on one side of the rail than the other. I shot that arrow and then starting cocking the crossbow with the string close to the rail from the very start. I shot 12 more arrows in 4 shot groups at 30 and 40 yards and when I started grouping after the first 4 shots with all 4 arrows I definitely new that it was operator error. I was very humbled but also very happy to figure out my problem even though I have ordered a dozen of new Carbon Express Crossbolts that I thought would fix my problem.

I am so glad I use this forum because someone posted on one of my topics that it could be shooter error but I shrugged it off because I didn't think I was doing anything wrong because I was rock solid on the bench. People are very helpful on this forum even though I've only had my crossbow a couple of weeks a lot of people have helped me out already just reading some of the topics and replys.

The moral of the story is: (You really can teach old dogs some new tricks if they are willing to learn)

Thanks everyone,
Eric
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
awshucks

Re: Humbled By My New Vortex

Post by awshucks »

Some servings will be off center. There's a better way. Mark where the rail is on both sides of center serving while bow is at rest. Whiteout works well.

Check marks when cocked, both should be in same place, but will no longer be flush due to string angle.

Check and make sure the pulleys are free in your rope cocker. If one or the other or both are froze, fix them or send to Danny/Factory for replacement.

Edited to add: There's another possible culprit to check on bow that can occasionally be a problem....There's like a gasket between biggest limb ends and riser. If they are sticking out too far, they can hit your fletch as it passes by, easy fix w/ razor knife.
"Eze 18:21"
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Thanks Awshucks I will try that also. I checked the pulleys and they are fine I will also check the gasket as well.

Eric
Stryker Katana 360
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

Make sure the hooks stay against the rail when cocking & that shouldn't be an issue. I do that everytime & it cocks the string straight everytime. A problem I was having was erratic shooting left or right at times,& I also found it was caused by operator error. I realized I wasn't looking thru the scope correctly everytime,if my head was off to the left or right of the scope a little I would get the bad shots,since I resolved that issue I have been shooting dead on everytime. We're never too old to learn.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
Silver_Fox

Post by Silver_Fox »

I found I had an operator error also. I was having the same problem with getting a good grouping. I marked my arrows and thought it was an arrow problem but the next time I tried the good arrows they were also inconsistent. As I moved the bow I heard a rattle and then I realized that a couple of the bolts had come loose. I tighten these up and have been getting good groupings since.
Tarheelvortex

Post by Tarheelvortex »

Hello and welcome from a fellow Tarheel. I see you are new to the board as am I. I have had contact from new2xbow who resides in Stokes Co. NC and was wondering what part of the state you are located in. I was wondering how many other folks on this board reside in the great state of NC and if we could network. If anyone is interested please post. The Tarheel
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Thanks Tarheel I live in Rutherford County. I know several people that already have bought crossbows and they are loving it.
Stryker Katana 360