Looking for Tarheel Excalibur Brothers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tarheelvortex

Looking for Tarheel Excalibur Brothers

Post by Tarheelvortex »

Being new to this board and forums in general I have found that there are others in this state who share my addiction. I am interested in networking with my brothers and starting an informal chapter. It would be great to share information and possibly growing this sport in our state. If anyone is interested please respond. Thanks The Tarheel
Hester0305

Re: Looking for Tarheel Excalibur Brothers

Post by Hester0305 »

I am new to the forum as well and just purchsed a Vortex a few weeks back and I am loving it. I am President of the South Mountain Bowhunters Archery Club in Rutherford County the few people that know that I have bought a crossbow aren't as happy as I am. We all shoot 3D archery tournaments starting in February thru September and crossbows arent allowed on our ranges. We are a member of the Western North Carolina Archery Circuit and they passed a rule last year not allowing crossbows on our ranges to compete or practice. Our 3D tournaments consist of a 25 target course of 3D animals placed throughout each clubs properties. The Circuit rules consist of everyone shooting their compound bows through a chronograph as they check in because the circuit has a 280 fps rule + or - 3% which most you could shoot is 288 fps.

I am in the process of trying to sway some of my friends and family to purchase a crossbow, some have come and shot mine and saw how accurate it is out to 50 yards. The problem is a group in North Carolina has fought for so many years to keep crossbows out of the sate for hunting unless you were disabled it is going to take a while to get the following we need in the crossbow industry in N.C. When the law was passed to finally make them legal it still has made a lot of people mad, but in my opinion they just need to get over it. I have read on the forum here, there are places in other states that have crossbow 3D shoots. If somone had the time and money and land to start one of those with good advertising the crossbow following would jump start in N.C.

I frequent several archery shops throughout North and South Carolina and they love the crossbows sales because it helps them when compound bow sales are down. Tarheel hang in there it will come but will take some time.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Tarheelvortex

Post by Tarheelvortex »

We all know the group that you are referring to here in NC. My first bow was purchased with Blue Chip stamps if that gives you any idea how long I have been shooting the bow. My second was a #35 lb. recurve because that was all I could pull at 12 years old. My first real hunting bow was a #45 lb. Black Bear Recurve purchased at Grant's can you remember them. I shot Bear razorheads on cedar shafts with real turkey feathers. I had a three finger shooting glove, arm guard, and shot instinctively because there were no bow sights or releases, only gloves or tabs. My next bow was a Bear Polar LTD it did have pin sights and I shot my first aluminum arrows with Wasp broadheads, still with my fingers. My next bow was a Bear Magnum it actually had an oblong cam which was the first I had seen, still shooting fingers,aluminum arrows with wasp broadheads, and the the pin sight from the LTD. My next was a PSE Thunder Flite with a pendulum sight. I purchased a Scott rope release, Beman Hunter Carbon arrows (with the outserts) with Rocky broadheads and could not believe the difference in my shooting ability and the increase in arrow speed. I got my first crossbow in 2004 after shoulder surgery, a Horton Legend ll. After that a Horton Hunter HD. After that a Horton TRT ultra lite. I have since seen the light and bought an Excalibur Vortex about three weeks ago. All the history was given because most of these Anti-Crossbow bigots have never shot a stick bow or anything other than today's high tech, high speed, bows with fiber optic sights, releases, high quality arrows, and mechanical broadheads. Crossbows were used long before the compound was invented. To limit crossbows to those who have physical disabilities is unfair to those children and older adults who do not have the strength, or to those who freely choose to use a crossbow. These bigots will go the way of the dinosaur with time just as those who fought against the scoped inline muzzleloader with saboted bullets. I have no problem with those who choose not to use a crossbow but I do have a problem with those who try to limit my freedom to use one. The Tarheel
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I guess it will take some time before some of them jump on board, maybe some of them may still decide to fight the crossbows but each to their own, but since its legal here now, I will keep shooting mine and loving it and maybe get a chance at some deer or Turkeys this year.

Good to meet you TarHeel good luck shooting and hunting
Stryker Katana 360
NCXbowHuntr

Post by NCXbowHuntr »

Well as stated before i am here in NC, Stokes county to be exact (look out my back door and see hanging rock state park)

The laws changing in May removing the handgun permit requirement for a crossbow was the biggie in making them more available, before FFL had to sell it to you and that made them quite expensive. Now with being able to mail-order them makes it much more affordable.

Of course the regulations change in 2010 allowing crossbows wthout disability is what ripped the NCBHA. I guess they think that we are nothing but rifle hunters tht can't handle a bow and are now horning in on their deer. OH WELL!!

I need to go inand read the michigan crossbow federation sticky and see if it has some info about how we could get one started here in NC.
Tony K.
Formerly known as "New2Xbow"
http://www.NCGunRights.com
"Gun Laws Only Limit the Law Abiding!"

Axiom SMF
Lumenok Firebolts
X-Act Broadheads
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

I'm not from NC. but I have a question, can you guys hunt pigs with a crossbow down there?
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Gewehrhund wrote:I'm not from NC. but I have a question, can you guys hunt pigs with a crossbow down there?
The answer to your question is yes, everything that can be hunted with a bow we can hunt with a crossbow.
Stryker Katana 360