A smoke house build along(Pics added)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

j.krug

Re: A smoke house build along(Pics added)

Post by j.krug »

Looking good Raymond and coming along rather quickly I must say!

Just my opinion but I'd go with double doors. Also, are you going to close in the gaps under the edge of the roof? Just asking because a friend and I had a huge batch of sausage and hams ruined once when birds got into his smoker and crapped all over our beautifully smoked meat!! :( Perhaps some fine screen would work if you prefer to have the venting?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

masboy wrote:looks good Raymond!! looks like a heated deer stand to me when it,s real cold!!!!! just put in some windows!!
It sure would be warm in there, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .. It would take some big ole windows to get som cool air also, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

j.krug wrote:Looking good Raymond and coming along rather quickly I must say!

Just my opinion but I'd go with double doors. Also, are you going to close in the gaps under the edge of the roof? Just asking because a friend and I had a huge batch of sausage and hams ruined once when birds got into his smoker and crapped all over our beautifully smoked meat!! :( Perhaps some fine screen would work if you prefer to have the venting?
Hey Jim,
I am going to put double doors, thanks, everyone else including myself suggested double doors. And for the gaps under roof, I am planning on putting sliding boards there. But the screen is a good idea, I will put the screen on the inside so it will not affect the sliding boards that I plan to put over the two openings. Thanks for that idea Jim, you probably saved me from a headache. I also plan on putting metal on the roof roof and around the sides. I cannot afford to buy it so I am going to salvage the metal from stove and dryer casings. Anymore comments and ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Raymond
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Raymond wrote:
j.krug wrote:Looking good Raymond and coming along rather quickly I must say!

Hey Jim,
I am going to put double doors, thanks, everyone else including myself suggested double doors. And for the gaps under roof, I am planning on putting sliding boards there. But the screen is a good idea, I will put the screen on the inside so it will not affect the sliding boards that I plan to put over the two openings. Thanks for that idea Jim, you probably saved me from a headache. I also plan on putting metal on the roof roof and around the sides. I cannot afford to buy it so I am going to salvage the metal from stove and dryer casings. Anymore comments and ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Raymond
Sounds good Raymond. I'm looking forward to seeing it when you're done. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Hey raymond not to get off topic but is your tape measure,s up there in the northern parts in [ metric ] :?: :roll: Just wandering , not sure :roll: I think we can buy them in metric here in the southern part's . :!: OH buy the way i am loveing the build along on the smoke house :D thanks for doing it....

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

papa bear1 wrote:Hey raymond not to get off topic but is your tape measure,s up there in the northern parts in [ metric ] :?: :roll: Just wandering , not sure :roll: I think we can buy them in metric here in the southern part's . :!: OH buy the way i am loveing the build along on the smoke house :D thanks for doing it....

Dave :)
Hey Dave,
I haven't seen one in metric. Thanks for the compliments. Maybe I should have given measurements also but the length and width is specific to the furnace. I will do some measuring and include the size. The smoke itself is 4' high, 42" long, and 24" wide. I will need to build a platform with a set of steps to be able to place and remove items from the smoker. It is fairly high of the ground, the bottom of the smoke house is about 4" from the ground. So it is a little bit over 8' tall.

I had been away to the doctors on Tuesday, when I got home I had to relax for a couple of days. Long trips trips to see a doctor wears me out pretty easy. I am going to try and do some more on the smokehouse today.

We had a snowstorm last night with about 4" of snow and then it turned to ice pellets, freezing rain, and then to rain, and it blew a gale all day and all night. The smokehouse survive it all. The temperature is really mild. Hardly any snow on the ground now.

Thanks,
Raymond
Last edited by Raymond on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Well here is a couple more pictures. The first one is of the vent board on the eave in the back. It is just screwed up there for now. I am going to cut two grooves in it one on each side and put a bolt through so I can have them sliding up or down if want them to.

The second photo is of the two doors in the front. I couldn't find the hinges I had so I will need to buy some new ones. And the eave board in the front, which will be rigged the same as the eave board in the back.

Thanks for looking. I know I am not posting every day, I am sorry about that. It is because some days my health is not allowing me to do much of anything.
Thanks,
Raymond
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

No rule here saying you have to post every day.

Just one thought here and that is whether you used anything to seal the cracks between all the boards?
You may need to do that in order to control inside temp of you smoker.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
bugs

Post by bugs »

Nice job Raymond. I cant wait to see the pics once the smokehouse is full :D
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Ont_Excal wrote:No rule here saying you have to post every day.

Just one thought here and that is whether you used anything to seal the cracks between all the boards?
You may need to do that in order to control inside temp of you smoker.
Thanks for your comments, thoughts and tips. I agree with you that the cracks between the boards need to be sealed up. I had plans to rip narrow strips of boards that I have and screw a piece over each crack. We had built a hunting camp years ago with the boards vertical and we put a strip of wood and sealant on each crack and it looked good once it was done. That is been in my plans all along but thank you just the same. A person can always use comments , tips and help of any kind.

And bugs, I was skunked on a deer this season, wasn't able to get out enough to be successful. But I do have some pork and fish that I am going to smoke once my building is finished. I am getting anxious but I can only do what my health allows me to do in one day. I am thankful for what I can do but at the same time I wish I could do more. It is a double edged sword in a way I guess, :) .
Raymond
bugs

Post by bugs »

Anything you smoke will be great. I am happy you at least had some time out this year, I know any minute in the woods was worth more to you than most anyone on here. :wink:
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

You can always toke a smurkey raymond.. er..I mean smoke a turkey :oops:

I recently tried one, wow that was good eats! id send ya some venison if i could brother.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

bugs wrote:Anything you smoke will be great. I am happy you at least had some time out this year, I know any minute in the woods was worth more to you than most anyone on here. :wink:
I am looking forward to smoking something when it is ready. I have some farm raised trout that will taste really good smoked with apple wood. Even though I didn't get a deer it was definitely nice just sitting out there in the woods. I did get to shoot something that I thjink I forgot to mention and it was a fat porcupine. He will not be back next year or ruin anymore trees on my woodlot, :lol: . It was fun to even shoot that at 25 yards. I was beginning to wonder if I could place a killing shot but I put the arrow right through where I aimed. I removed him but never got to go back to hunt anymore. :) :)
Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

one shot scott wrote:You can always toke a smurkey raymond.. er..I mean smoke a turkey :oops:

I recently tried one, wow that was good eats! id send ya some venison if i could brother.
Hey Neil,
I know you would if you could brother, and I thank you for that. But you know your friendship means a great deal to me. Hopeful, someday I can get to Ontario and meet as many of you folks as I can. So far it hasn't worked out for me that way. I save up money as much as I can and something always gets it. Either trips the see doctors in the city hospitals or more medicine. I have 12 home raised meat chickens in the freezer that I raised this past summer and am going to smoke one of those also when I am ready.
Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Today I put the hinges on the doors and cut some boards and drilled holes through the center. I am going to cut them in half and will screw them to the inside to hold some wooden dowels. I will buy a couple to start with and when I need more and can afford more I will buy some more. It was too cold to do anymore outside than to put the hinges on.

I am going to put a piece of metal on the roof for protection and bend it down over on all 4 sides. I was planning on cutting some boards that I already have into strips and screwing them over each crack between the boards on the walls. Would I need to use a sealant on the underneath of each strip of wood or just screw the strips on and paint it in the spring? Or, I have plans to cover the outside of the smokehouse with the casings salvaged from washers, dryers, etc, to protect it from the elements, because I cannot afford to buy any aluminium sheathing. If I put that salvaged casings on the outside do I need to seal the cracks between the boards so I do not have heat loss. Or just make sure that the joints from the salvaged casings are sealed and a bead of sealant under the edges of the casings is applied to seal that? I appreciate all of your answers.
Thank you,
Raymond