Broadhead vs Target Points

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Broadhead vs Target Points

Post by taz3 »

I'm pretty green when it comes to crossbows, so I'll be asking some nubie questions for the more seasoned folks, lol. My first one is, how much difference in accuracy can be expected from using a target point to a broadhead? I've been dialing my Phoenix in with a Vari-Zone scope, at 35 yards, I can hit any of the 1.5" circles on the target bag. I can't believe how accurate this crossbow is.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
one shot scott

Re: Broadhead vs Target Points

Post by one shot scott »

Accuracy with broadheads is just as good for the most part.... BUT they may have a different point of impact than field tips, that is unless your using mechanical heads, then its rteasonable to expect that they will have close to the same POI as field tips.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
taz3

Post by taz3 »

What is the best way to choose a broadhead, is it just a preference thing? I'm sure, as all products, some are better than others. I was thinking of trying Excalibur's X-Act mechanical broadheads, all the reviews I've read, state owners/hunters are very happy with them, they do suggest to clean them thoroughly, after each use.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the purchase of your Phoenix. That was my first model also. I wish I would have kept it also. Nail driver right out of the box. I put it together at the shop and came home and dead on center. Excalibur, they are an amazing. I have used the Excalibur X-Act Mechanical broad heads and the very first year I took a spike horn at 40 yards broad side. Double lung shot, cut two ribs off going in and cut two ribs off going out t6he other side and the deer only went 40 yards and piled up there. When I went to look for my arrow there was only 6 inches sticking out off the ground after that pass through. They have amazing power. They shot the same as my field points.
Raymond
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

X-acts work well, I had the same results as Raymond.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Depends on what cha lookin fer ? If'en you gonna shoot n practice alot you may wish to use a mech. too stay close to field pt poi. Now if'en you don't practice alot you may wish to just sight yer model in fer fixed BH's & just ck it every now & again.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Pretty much every broadhead now-a-days can be made to shoot exactly as field points . . .just read the ads. For the most part the ads are correct.

However, what the advertisments do not tell you . . . you need to be able to build a consistant arrow and the broadhead has to be flawless along with a well matched tiller on your bow.

The faster your bow shoots, the better you need to be at making your broadhead/arrow combination. A very slight bend in a blade will make your broadhead fly several inches off target. For this reason alone, I like the mechanicals best.

If the tip of the broadhead is cut slightly off center, then it will be way off target with a fast bow. This will be the case with a fixed blade or a mechanical.

Picking the right broadhead for what you hunt is important. However, if you can't build a good arrow, then it's a worthless broadhead. Spin testing is VERY important. Make or buy yourself a good spinning tool.

Personally, I like to shoot the broadhead with the largest amount of cutting surface that my bow can drive through my prey and still achieve a complete pass through.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
taz3

Post by taz3 »

So far, I've been using Excal's Firebolts with real good results.

Thanks for all the advise and knowledge, it's great reading what is used, how and why.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Dirtypenny725

Post by Dirtypenny725 »

I'm not like most people, I don't like tinkering around with things. If the manufacturer suggests a certain broadhead and bolt then I use what they recommend. I am shooting the firebolts with bolt cutter broeadheads and I can tell you that I am placing more than one arrow in the same 2" circle at 40 yards consistantly with them. I will also tell you that the POI (point of impact) was different with the broadheads compared to the practice tips by only a few inches, however some adjustments were needed to get back on dead center.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Dirtypenny725 wrote:I'm not like most people, I don't like tinkering around with things. If the manufacturer suggests a certain broadhead and bolt then I use what they recommend. I am shooting the firebolts with bolt cutter broeadheads and I can tell you that I am placing more than one arrow in the same 2" circle at 40 yards consistantly with them. I will also tell you that the POI (point of impact) was different with the broadheads compared to the practice tips by only a few inches, however some adjustments were needed to get back on dead center.
You do see the irony in your statement, right?

I like using the broadhead that will most likely get the job done in the most efficient manner . . .we kill via blood loss . . .which of these broadheads will most likely drop the deer quickest?

The one with the most cutting surface, right?

I appreciate manufacturers suggestions . . but, if they are making the product, then I have to take that into consideration too. Fortunately, with Excalibur, they have a great product.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
taz3

Post by taz3 »

What make is the one on the right and how many grains is it? It looks like it requires a rubber band to keep it closed too, is that correct?

Your input is appreciated! :D
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

From left to right is the Slick Trick, the Spit Fire and the Trophy Ridge Hammerhead. They are all 100 grains and all are deadly accurate.

The 1.5 inch cut Spitfire actually has the least amount of cutting surface of the three heads, the Slick Trick is second and the Hammerhead has the most.

There are pros and cons about them all. And they all will make a clean kill. However, I like the broadhead that has the best chance of dropping a deer when I mess up.

I gut shot a young buck and it went 20 yards with the Hammerhead.

If someone is telling you that size doesn't matter, then they have a small one. :mrgreen:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Welcome to the forum...Ask away! You will get TONS of great info from people who know what they are talkign about on here.

There are 2 types of broadheads. Fixed blade and mechanicals. In the fixed blade category there are 2 sub categories - cut on contact and those with some sort of hardened tip (like the Slick Trick in the pic). All will kill deer, and all can be made to fly well. Fixed blades take a little more work as they have more surface area flying through the wind to help "steer" the arrow. However they generally have better penetration than a mechanical, because a mechanical head uses some of the arrows energy to open the blades. With the 2 different types of fixed blades, a cut on contact head is just what it says. The razor blades create the tip of the broadhead. The advantage is the sharpest part of the head begins cutting immediately on impact. The disadvantage is that the sharp blades may dull as it goes through the animal (on bend if it hits bone) and hurt ultimate penetration to some degree. The other type of fixed blades, use a hard tip that is pretty sharp, to smash through bone while the blades cut the surrounding tissue. I have personally shot large whitetails (in OH) with all 3 types of heads and got pass throughs with all 3 types. I've also had mechanical not go through deer at some close ranges. My preference are the fixed blades. It is pretty easy to screw on a mechanical and get field point POI, but that does not mean the arrow has the best flight characteristics (not stabilized fully, still having some "bend" when it hits the target etc.). Conversly, IMHO it is dang near impossible to have a fixed blade have FP POI and not be flying extremely well. When an arrow is flying true and is stabilized well, all of the weight of that arrow and it's KE is behind that broadhead and the penetration will be as good as it can be for your setup. There are many many broadheads out there. My advice is to look around, ask questions, look at reviews etc, and then try a few different ones. Some you might want to look at are: Mechanical - Rage (stick with the 125gr Crossbow one), NAP Bloodrunner, and Swhacker Cut On Contact - Any of the Sonic heads, Fixed w/tip - Excal Boltcutter, Muzzy, Montec (these are kind of a hybrd COC but with a solid head). Good luck and have fun learning.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Just noticed I failed to answer your question about the rubberbanded Hammerhead.

Yes, it does require a rubberband. I use dental elastics used in braces. About any kid wearing braces on their teeth have way more than they need.

I use the dental elastics on all my mechanicals. It's an insurance policy. I've never had a problem.

I currently use the Stricknines. They are basically the same as the Hammerheads, just in a 125 grain.

The crossbows have so much power, penetration isn't usually an issue. However, it does depend on the size animal you are hunting and the bone you hit.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Dirtypenny725

Post by Dirtypenny725 »

sumner4991 wrote:
Dirtypenny725 wrote:I'm not like most people, I don't like tinkering around with things. If the manufacturer suggests a certain broadhead and bolt then I use what they recommend. I am shooting the firebolts with bolt cutter broeadheads and I can tell you that I am placing more than one arrow in the same 2" circle at 40 yards consistantly with them. I will also tell you that the POI (point of impact) was different with the broadheads compared to the practice tips by only a few inches, however some adjustments were needed to get back on dead center.
You do see the irony in your statement, right?

I like using the broadhead that will most likely get the job done in the most efficient manner . . .we kill via blood loss . . .which of these broadheads will most likely drop the deer quickest?

The one with the most cutting surface, right?

I appreciate manufacturers suggestions . . but, if they are making the product, then I have to take that into consideration too. Fortunately, with Excalibur, they have a great product.
You can use a broadhead with 2.5" cutting diameter, but if it's doesn't shoot accurately it's no good. Personally I've killed a lot of deer with slick trick 100grain bh with the smallest cutting diameter. Great blood trails..why? Because I put the arrow in the v itals, and to do that, the broadhead shot accurately. Same thing with the boltcutters I'm using. Paired with the firebolts I find they shoot accurately.