Halfmoon Nocks?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

coop

Halfmoon Nocks?

Post by coop »

I just bought a Vortex with LS package, but I have a lot of lighted nocks half moon style. Seems Excal wants us to use flat but I really do not see why the half moons wouldn't work? Anyone using them? any advice?
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
one shot scott

Re: Halfmoon Nocks?

Post by one shot scott »

You may end up with a partial dryfire if you use them. The excal string sits down on the rail with a little down pressure, that why half moons are not recommended. just pull out the moonies and install flats, bobs your uncle! :P
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i was told by a source i trust that moons were just fine to shoot . i use the carbon express maxima hunters. they come with both type plastic nocks. the same person told me that partial dry fires have occured using the plastic flat nocks due to them slipping off the string.i have had no problems with moons on my AXIOM but maybe someone can enlighten us now that plastic flat nocks are used in some of the premium type carbon arrows.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

foofoo wrote:i was told by a source i trust that moons were just fine to shoot . i use the carbon express maxima hunters. they come with both type plastic nocks. the same person told me that partial dry fires have occured using the plastic flat nocks due to them slipping off the string.i have had no problems with moons on my AXIOM but maybe someone can enlighten us now that plastic flat nocks are used in some of the premium type carbon arrows.
If the arrow is seated properly against the string, then nock material should not be an issue.

With moon nocks, the arrow must be mounted so the string will seat in the moon.

If I find a deal on moon nocked arrows, I'll buy them anyway and swap out the nocks or sand them flat.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Taken rom the frequently asked questions on excals main page:
My Excalibur arrows came without nocks on them. Are they missing?
The bow is designed to use a flat butt ended arrow. Your options are either to use a plug type insert which cannot be used to withdraw the arrow from a target in which it has sunk too far, or a CAP insert which can.  

Moon nocks are a no-no since they are totally without purpose and can direct the string under the arrow if you don't align them correctly.

Being of the mind that purpose is of more importance than appearance, we continue to use CAP inserts.  The reason the rear inserts are threaded is so our T handle arrow puller can be threaded into the end of the arrow to remove the it from a target.
So yes, I suppose it could be used.... But then. You need to use a cock vane for perfect alignment and even then a nock may start to turn on you. I would consider changing the nocks so you don't have to always pay attention to loading the arrow with a certain vane pointing down. It may iliminate alot of hassle to switch to flat nocks
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

im gonna touch base with the person who gave me the info. i do remember them saying that they didnt believe it themselves about the string slipping under a flat nock until they were able to watch the xbow and see it for themselves. from what i recall it was something about the slickness of the plastic . this is on the carbon express maxima hunters. as far as the odd feather down i dont find placing it down in the track any different from placing odd feather out on my compound bow. ive been doing it all my life so doing it on a crossbow comes naturally in a way.
coop

Post by coop »

Got Vortex setup tonight, put fff string on. Shot it about 20 times at close range just letting the string stretch. Tomorrow i'll sight it in, hope to shoot hog and doe at my lease this weekend! Reason I would like to use moons is they are lighted (not cheap hate to just lose them)....shot flat that came with it tonight. May try them tomorrow. Have 6 20'' halfmoon lighted that I shot out of my barnett. Which i had to set the cock vane so I'm use to that. Really like the trigger on this one...much better than what was on barnett. :D
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
strum

Post by strum »

hello Coop and welcome to the forum...My thinking is ,,you have a nice new Vortex that the maker says use flat nocks ..why mess around with that? Its your choice but you wont catch me putting a moon nocked arrow in mine.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

strum wrote:hello Coop and welcome to the forum...My thinking is ,,you have a nice new Vortex that the maker says use flat nocks ..why mess around with that? Its your choice but you wont catch me putting a moon nocked arrow in mine.
Your Right Strum!!
The Schnitz

Post by The Schnitz »

1/2 moon nocks will work fine. Just make sure you line up the cock feather every time. I shoot maxima hunter kv's with Firenocks. Firenock only makes a 1/2 moon nock for the maxima hunter Kv's and as the firenocks are far superior to any other lighted nock out there with a a flat nock I used them. I shot them all season with zero loss in accuracy and zero problems. You just have to pay a little more attention when loading.
Full Camo Matrix 380
Eotech 512 Holographic Weapons Sight
R.E.D.S
Boo Custom String with Cat Whiskers
Excalibur Diablo 18 inch arrows
Spitfire 125's
coop

Post by coop »

Shot them today no problems at all. Man this thing is more accurate than the Barnett I had...very 1st time I aimed at same dot at 25yds got a Robinhood. 17 dollars worth of arrow ruined.
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Good Luck with your Vortex, I know you can get excellant groups out to 50 yards with it I really love the one I have.

As far as the nock goes I'm like some of the other guys on here and only use a flat nock and if you don't want to sand the moon nock down you can always put a regular aluminum insert in the back of the arrow.

Good luck
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

coop wrote:Shot them today no problems at all. Man this thing is more accurate than the Barnett I had...very 1st time I aimed at same dot at 25yds got a Robinhood. 17 dollars worth of arrow ruined.
Good to here she's drivin' tacks for ya!

Keep that up and you'll have no more moon nocks left and then you can buy the flat ones!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i would be very cautious of sanding down any nocks. if you get the angle slightly wrong i would think that would be a bad thing.using inserts for nocks i guess would work fine but heavier than a real metal nock.FOC is another topic though. i believe in shooting and seeing what works.