Gun Registry

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dash

Re: Gun Registry

Post by Dash »

In Australia we have a gun registry and licensing. For gun safety and handleing getting a license goes some way to educating people on the rules of using and storing arms. Believe me some people need common sense spelled out to them like this.
The registry is a way to collect data and hassle out honest gunowners as they know where the honest gun owners live! Its a fact here that the nearly 90% of all guns used in crimes were unregistered and bought here illegally anyway while the rest were mostly stolen guns. Instead of the police dealing with illegal arms here, they prefer to pick on the easy targets. Recently they searched the homes of gun owners in our cities northern suberbs. Then they gave fines to people who used 38mm standard washers to fix the gun safe to a wall, instead of 40mm washers specified in the code! A pathetic waste of taxpayers money here and an abuse of the powers that they put into place. The devil is in the detail of these laws.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

We can certainly do without a long gun registry, but I am a big believer in a mandatory safety exam before handing over guns.
Having said that, I don't think the government should dictate that form of safety, it should have a heavy influence from a third party that is not acting on behalf of the ignorant government.

When I turned 18 my Dad gave me a .22 pistol (I lived in Detroit), I wanted to keep it with me everywhere I went, so I started the process.
It was a 5 question test at the local PD, first question was:
When you load the firearm, do you point it at (a) your head, (b) the floor.
And they didn't get better from there.
I am confident it has changed since then though.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
tsc

Post by tsc »

Third reading started today. Suppose to continue on Tues and Wed. I believe vote is planned for Thursday. Then Round 2 in the Senate.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Article about it on CBC:

http://tinyurl.com/7pqrust
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Vote on time allocation for debate later this evening, limiting further debate to one day (Wednesday). Vote expected on Thursday, passing with full support of all Conservative MPs (and possibly a few NDP MPs trying to save face in their rural ridings). After the vote on Thursday, the Long Gun Registry has essentially breathed its last breath...and basically, will be on its way to the morgue (the Senate) where little debate will occur due to a Conservative majority in there as well. No ammendments are expected to be made by the Senate and C-19 will not return to the House with such ammendments from the Senate. All that's left is for Royal Ascent to occur, which will finalize the demise of what has been one of the biggest gun control mistakes this country has ever made.

Your registration certificates will be at your disposal, to do whatever you choose to do with them, probably within a couple weeks, as they will no longer be considered to be government property.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks DG, I try to keep up with this but simply do not understand the whole process. Looking forward to your updates, you seem to have this stuff all figured out.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Pydpiper wrote:Thanks DG, I try to keep up with this but simply do not understand the whole process. Looking forward to your updates, you seem to have this stuff all figured out.
I wonder why that would be? :lol:

Although I must state that keeping up with this stuff is no longer a part of my vocation, a lot of hours were spent on this particular topic, so I do have a vested interest in finally seeing the Long Gun Registry repealed.

And that being said, no longer being bound by various parameters involved with that client, what should be pursued in the near future is a full repeal of C-68, which has been alluded to today by Cheryl Gallant (Conservative), who made a fantastic speech regarding gun control in Canada and the fact that law abiding citizens have always been focused on instead of criminals.

I can't wait to see C-19 finally pass and look forward to being a part of fighting against the oppressive C-68 in future as a law abiding citizen of this country.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

My thoughts are the Liberals going to bring this back to life the next time they get in . Just out of spite .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

It would have to be all brand new data, and considering the total cost to set it up the first time, I don't think anyone would stand for it again. No data will be kept once C-19 passes, since the registry IS the data.

Besides...they try it again...what guns? ;)
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Any idea what will happen with registered guns when or if transferring them from one owner to another?
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

taz3 wrote:Any idea what will happen with registered guns when or if transferring them from one owner to another?
Once C-19 becomes law, as long as the buyer and the seller are both licensed, money and firearm are exchanged and there's no reason to call the CFC. It's as simple as that.
tsc

Post by tsc »

"Oooh, we're halfway there....... Living on a prayer"----Ok, my singing stinks even on the internet :lol: :lol:

C-19 has passed the House. Now onto Senate (and rubber stamping... Er I mean Royal Assent)

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/20 ... 51816.html

Edit to add, The article is slightly wrong from what I've gathered. It was the vote to accept the committee's recommendation, which was no change to the original bill. It is proposed to go to 3rd reading in the next house sitting (aka tomorrow).

This stuff is way to confusing... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Contrary to reports from Sun News Services, C-19 is NOT on its way to the Senate, just yet. C-19 has only passed the Report Stage and third reading will begin today, with a final vote possible on Thursday.

I have no idea why the Sun would not properly keep track of this and confuse everyone.

There's still at least one more day of debate to go! Besides, Stephen Harper is overseas currently and will want to be the first to stand up to vote in favour of C-19. He should be back in Ottawa on Friday...or Thursday if he rushes.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

DirtyGun wrote: I wonder why that would be? :lol:

Although I must state that keeping up with this stuff is no longer a part of my vocation, a lot of hours were spent on this particular topic, so I do have a vested interest in finally seeing the Long Gun Registry repealed.

And that being said, no longer being bound by various parameters involved with that client, what should be pursued in the near future is a full repeal of C-68, which has been alluded to today by Cheryl Gallant (Conservative), who made a fantastic speech regarding gun control in Canada and the fact that law abiding citizens have always been focused on instead of criminals.

I can't wait to see C-19 finally pass and look forward to being a part of fighting against the oppressive C-68 in future as a law abiding citizen of this country.
I missed Gallant's speach but did read news of this statement and was very pleased by it. A full repeal of C68 is definately the next step that should be taken. I'm very curious to see where this is leading. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Vote not likely until Monday or Tuesday, while the PM is still in China currently, selling our oil. ;)