Gun Registry

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Helmut

Re: Gun Registry

Post by Helmut »

DirtyGun wrote:Vote not likely until Monday or Tuesday, while the PM is still in China currently, selling our oil. ;)
He has to sell it somewhere. It would seem our friends to the south dont want it right now :cry:
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Helmut wrote:
DirtyGun wrote:Vote not likely until Monday or Tuesday, while the PM is still in China currently, selling our oil. ;)
He has to sell it somewhere. It would seem our friends to the south dont want it right now :cry:
Just the Obamafied ones... ;)
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Helmut wrote:
It's quite a bit more complicated than that unfortunately - and i don't blame them for not taking it the way it was proposed.

Back to the C-19. It's really too bad that some idiot MP had to make the comment, comparing the support of the C-19 for long-guns to Hitler's Nazi-policies. It's already been hard and long enough of a battle that this whole deal doesn't need any more stupidity pilled onto it. Lets just get it done and done properly!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... h7IUALTCAY

Supprised it wasn't brought up sooner.
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

DirtyGun wrote:
Helmut wrote:
Just the Obamafied ones... ;)
Guess that includes the Republican governor Dave Heineman and Republican Senator Mike Johanns from Nebraska :wink:

Helmut

Post by Helmut »

Well i have waded through six pages of this discussion and feel the need to chime in now.

The USA bases its gun ownership on a 300 year old document. This document was written in a very different time than today by some very forward things fellas for sure. They clearly saw the writing on the wall from way back then. I applaude them.
The question for them is >>are they misinterpreting the 2nd amendmant? Who knows. WHo cares really at least they are sticking to their Charter and living by it. Gratz
Here in Canada, our politians will change our so called beliefs at the drop of a hat to suit whatever the flavor of the day is ie: whiny special intrest groups. See Trudeau(Charter of right and freedoms) See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cole ... e_massacre. This is what we base todays gun laws on.
That in my opinion is BS to say the least. Horrible crime to say the least> Was the end of deaths by firearm? Not by a long shot. To make up laws that are based on one spur of the moment crime commited by ONE nut bar is absolutley beyond stupid.
However, the flip side to this in my opinion is the NRA. They do some good work that is true but the amount of bluster and rhetoric and fear mongering they spout is very disappointing. That type of communication is equally as daming as our government creating laws based on one crime, maybe even more so.
What i am getting at here is that we(US and Canada) need to have laws governing firearms. These laws need to recognise the vast majority of good people out there and severly punish the bad ones. This needs to done through FACT based statistics NOT through the squeeky wheel gets the grease principle or the impending apocylps rhetoric.
ENd of that rant!!!

On to actual ownership.

Are our laws to tight? In my opinion NO. We can buy we can sell and we can use. Just have to work within the parameters set down. So no big deal.

Are the US laws to loose? In my opinion maybe but this varies state to state. Rememeber not every state allows it's residents to just buy over the counter hand guns. SOme actually have to wait a few days to 2 weeks before taking possession(cooling off period) There is a very valid reason for that. Prevention of gun use in crimes of passion.

The statements made regarding lower crime rate>> i believe are all basically self serving statistics. Lets face it we all know there is no real deterance to a motivated criminal. Most crimes on the public are spur of the moment and are motivated by GREED and DRUGS. Doubt very much they are thinking of the possible bullet to the head before they commit such crimes. If that were true there would be no break ins due to the unknown risk of getting shot.

I was a hand gun safety instructor here in Ontario, I own many long guns to this day. One of my hobbies was collecting gun accident(not one can be considered an accident) clippings specifically involving the use of hand guns. I can tell you for sure that stupid people do stupid things. You cannot legislate stupid therfore stupid will happen.
I believe we should be allowed to own rifles and hand guns. But I do not under any circumstances believe that we in Canada should have the RIGHT to own such tools and have no boundries set on their use. It is a previliage and should remain such. If you get right down to the brass tacks of it the US also treats it as a privilge they just package in a different box with a few more perks.

Please excuse my lack of continuity in my writting. I am on a Nyquil high right now :shock:
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

I'll say this Helmut - even on a Nyquil high you've string together a few paragraph with which I fully agree with you. Well said.

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Helmut wrote:I was a hand gun safety instructor here in Ontario, I own many long guns to this day. One of my hobbies was collecting gun accident(not one can be considered an accident) clippings specifically involving the use of hand guns. I can tell you for sure that stupid people do stupid things. You cannot legislate stupid therfore stupid will happen.
I believe we should be allowed to own rifles and hand guns. But I do not under any circumstances believe that we in Canada should have the RIGHT to own such tools and have no boundries set on their use. It is a previliage and should remain such. If you get right down to the brass tacks of it the US also treats it as a privilge they just package in a different box with a few more perks.
Please, please tell me you no longer have any influence over gun ownership.
You collect clips of gun accidents and expect to have an open view? Kinda like collecting clips about car accidents and expecting to get in a car without being biased. If you chose the path of collecting and focusing on the worst parts of a hobby, you will only see that, the worst parts. Man, that is a crappy place you have yourself in.
If you decide to pursue your "rely on the government" perspective to keep us all safe, you should move from Paris to Toronto and take up drivers education. Sad to hear that someone with your perspective on gun control was actually in a position to influence people.
I am 30 seconds up the road from you, I know almost every firearm instructor for miles away, who are you? Why do you no longer teach?
"Stupid" is going to happen, no matter what path in life we choose, from collecting guns to seashells.
Privilege?? Really? I am a citizen, a man, and I think I should have the RIGHT to pursue my own direction without having my balls tied up by the self richeous government or anyone else who thinks their life is about standing in line waiting for their next instruction from a "better" being.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Pydpiper wrote: Privilege?? Really? I am a citizen, a man, and I think I should have the RIGHT to pursue my own direction without having my balls tied up by the self richeous government or anyone else who thinks their life is about standing in line waiting for their next instruction from a "better" being.
Pydpiper - where would this Right be from? An amendment to our Bill of Rights?

Who in your life has stopped you from purchasing, trading, selling or collecting hunting rifles, target shooting rifles or handguns?

I haven't. Ever. Not once. If you have - why? under what circumstances? Details would help better understand your position on this.

The LGR fiasco is almost over. From there, hopefully the same will happen with the Restricted registry - or amendments to it be done so that, for example, the transportation of hand guns be much, much less restrictive. We should be able to sqeeze off a few rounds whereever we are able to with our hunting rifles, no questions there. It's how we'll bridge the gap between NOW and the future that needs to be done correctly imo.

taz3

Post by taz3 »

CanuckBen wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:

Who in your life has stopped you from purchasing, trading, selling or collecting hunting rifles, target shooting rifles or handguns?
The federal government when the introduced the registry, if you didn't register you would be a potential criminal. They took my money and lost my information, which by them, means I'm in contempt of the law. A little pathetic IMO on their part, it would take me too much money to try and recover the money they lost of mine. When was the last time a criminal act was committed by a legally register gun and it's owner?

Do a search on the idiot who shot the guy with the crossbow and see all the hype created over crossbows. The average Joe can make more devastating weapons with common house hold products, so some perspective is desperately needed at the government level! :evil:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

CanuckBen wrote:Pydpiper - where would this Right be from? An amendment to our Bill of Rights?

I haven't. Ever. Not once. If you have - why? under what circumstances? Details would help better understand your position on this.
Amendment? See Ben, there is the difference between you and I. You are a sheep, you take what is given to you by your government and accept it as though there is no other option. You have made your stance very clear from the beginning, someone tells you the sky is red and you stand on a mountain trying to convince the rest of us that it is indeed red. See, I know different Ben, I have my own free will, scary stuff for some I am beginning to see.

Stopped me from buying, trading or selling? Well, that would be the same government that I referenced in my first paragraph. I am American, I was born in the good ol' USA and I was raised around guns, and the freedoms that are incorporated in it. I shouldn't be considered a criminal because some liberal f**k decided that anyone who leaves their home without written consent is a federal offender, or is set up for a mandatory prison term for using an item that I already own. THAT is who has stopped me Ben, and they stopped you too, me, difference being is that I can see it, yet you can't.
Not sure how much more detail I can give you. You are defending a government that tells you that your intentions are bad, regardless of what is actually happening. If you own a gun you are evil, they drive that home by making you ask permission before using, buying, selling or trading you own possessions. I did the same hoops as every other legal firearm owner in this country, yet the powers to be have the general public scared sh*tless of us, because we have a hobby that they do not understand, and in this particular instance, you are doing the same thing. I don't have to call ahead to pull my kid up the road in a wagon, or call ahead to use my swimming pool, but I do to use my tools? I don't get it, and I assure you, there is nothing you can say or ask that is going to make me feel inferior to the people who require this of me.
I understand the importance of laws, and I follow them, but that has absolutly nothing to do with this topic.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

In essence, the Long Gun Registry is not something that is difficult to comply with. You registered your gun, carried your card and that's about it. However, the main reason that most people point at it as a problem is due to invasion of privacy and the fact that the Liberal Party of Canada put it in place in 1996 as a first step toward a system in which the day all guns were banned in this country, they could be easily collected, from the law abiding citizens that registered them, at least. Anyone that doesn't believe that to be true are very gullible. Alan Rock had full intentions of banning all guns in future and many in the LPC still do. Luckily, when it comes to the firearm-owning community in Canada, we do have quite the grassroots movement and many accomplishments have been made through that movement, especially in the past five years. The Conservative Party of Canada isn't perfect, but when it comes to firearms ownership, it's the only party that will listen to logic and reason.

This should all be wrapped up by the end of February. If it is, I'm buying my eldest daughter her first gun, unregistered. Will I destroy my certificates? Well, all but one, which I will frame with the words 'never forget' beside it.

People should never be afraid of the government. A government should be afraid of its people.
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

taz3 wrote:
CanuckBen wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:

The federal government when the introduced the registry, if you didn't register you would be a potential criminal. They took my money and lost my information, which by them, means I'm in contempt of the law. A little pathetic IMO on their part, it would take me too much money to try and recover the money they lost of mine. When was the last time a criminal act was committed by a legally register gun and it's owner?

Do a search on the idiot who shot the guy with the crossbow and see all the hype created over crossbows. The average Joe can make more devastating weapons with common house hold products, so some perspective is desperately needed at the government level! :evil:
Taz3 - sorry to hear about that (loss of money and information); I personally don't know any one who has had that happened too - certainly doesn't mean that it didn't thought - my own experience and those who I know.

As it was said earlier - you can't fix stupid.
Last edited by CanuckBen on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Pydpiper wrote:
CanuckBen wrote:Pydpiper - where would this Right be from? An amendment to our Bill of Rights?

Amendment? See Ben, there is the difference between you and I. You are a sheep, you take what is given to you by your government and accept it as though there is no other option. You have made your stance very clear from the beginning, someone tells you the sky is red and you stand on a mountain trying to convince the rest of us that it is indeed red. See, I know different Ben, I have my own free will, scary stuff for some I am beginning to see.

Stopped me from buying, trading or selling? Well, that would be the same government that I referenced in my first paragraph. I am American, I was born in the good ol' USA and I was raised around guns, and the freedoms that are incorporated in it. I shouldn't be considered a criminal because some liberal f**k decided that anyone who leaves their home without written consent is a federal offender, or is set up for a mandatory prison term for using an item that I already own. THAT is who has stopped me Ben, and they stopped you too, me, difference being is that I can see it, yet you can't.
Not sure how much more detail I can give you. You are defending a government that tells you that your intentions are bad, regardless of what is actually happening. If you own a gun you are evil, they drive that home by making you ask permission before using, buying, selling or trading you own possessions. I did the same hoops as every other legal firearm owner in this country, yet the powers to be have the general public scared sh*tless of us, because we have a hobby that they do not understand, and in this particular instance, you are doing the same thing. I don't have to call ahead to pull my kid up the road in a wagon, or call ahead to use my swimming pool, but I do to use my tools? I don't get it, and I assure you, there is nothing you can say or ask that is going to make me feel inferior to the people who require this of me.
I understand the importance of laws, and I follow them, but that has absolutly nothing to do with this topic.
LMAO!!!!

Why not go back to your beloved 'ol US of A?! I mean, why the heck are you still here if you are so unhappy with our country?

I'm a sheep? Guess you haven't polished up your knowledge of our history here as french canadians in Quebec. Sheeps? Ask the Catholic church how that went for them over the last 50+ years. You also have no idea which political party I support, both provincially and federally. I'm pretty sure however you'll say Liberal. Guess again.

That being said - I believe you to have been a Canadian when you implied for it to be a Right in Canada. Is that hard to understand how I came to that conclusion? From your American perspective, it's obviously uncomprehensible. The 2nd Amendment and its section of a right to bare arms isn't part of our Constitution, nor or Bill of Rights.

Here's a wee bit of information for you (and i'm sure it'll come as a shocker), I too was raised around gun, both rifles and hand guns. Every able body man (and some women as well of course) hunted and shot clay on the off seasons. So pls, don't give me the bullshit "i grew up around guns" story.

Where am I defending the goverment? I just said above that the LGR fiasco was almost over and that's a good thing for all of us. I followed that by (and perhaps a probably should have spelled it out more clearly?) the use of Restricted firearms (when I said "sqeeze off a few rounds whereever we are able to with our hunting rifles, no questions there") should be way more lax. I mean how F'in more clear must I be??!! Sigh.

How can you say that this is nothing to do with the Law? You realise how stupid that is right? It is the law. Is it the correct and right one? No (do make note of this ok, as I feel that I will need to repeat myself sooner rather than later). Are things changing? Yes. Are they changing quick enough? No (again..well you know the drill by now). Should we do away with firearm training, for all types of firearms? No. Once that's done what do you feel would be necessary? I'm thinking your certificate of having passed the necessary courses.

Seriously. If this isn't clear enough, I really don't know what else to say!!

taz3

Post by taz3 »

DirtyGun wrote:In essence, the Long Gun Registry is not something that is difficult to comply with. You registered your gun, carried your card and that's about it.
This is not true, and whether I'm the only one or not, this registry was far from A B C. They told me, I could not have owned a rifle prior to age 16, yet I did. When I sent my money for a POL, they lost it, with no trace of it, along with my info. I have no rifle now, because they would have considered me a criminal. I mentioned earlier in this thread about my military training pertaining to gun safety, it will make any hunter look like an accident waiting to happen (this comment is no disrespect to any rifle hunters), when was the last time you've seen a hunter go through the motions of unloading a rifle 3 time consecutively, to ensure their gun has safely been, disarmed? The military made sure we never made that mistake, you could wipe any one of our rifles after an exercise with a white glove and never ever get it dirty, not all licensed hunter exercise this. I guess the icing on the cake is our military is government run, go figure. :roll: My Dad is absolutely meticulous about his rifles and caring for them, but even he was impressed with how well I was trained to take care of a rifle. This was nothing shy of a cash cow joke from the liberals, IMO.

While you are correct stating, the government should be afraid of its people, ours was too corrupt to even know what fear was. They're still scratching their heads wondering how the got beat last time at bat, because they thought they were untouchable. 5-7% of the population is not enough to sway a government when they pull a stunt like the LGR, because of the remaining 90+% aren't up to speed with what is all entailed, other than guns are violent, which is all most folks hear. :(
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

You're saying that firearms ownership in Canada is five to seven per cent? Now, I don't want to start a pissing match and you'd have to know me to know my background, but I can guarantee that firearms ownership in Canada is higher than that. The CPC knows that and will continue to use those numbers to influence votes down the road. The dismantling of the LGR is just the beginning. There are plenty of carrots still to be dangled in front of the donkeys.

For publicized numbers, it is estimated that there are 7.5 million firearms in Canada with an additional 6 million that went unregistered through non-compliance. Do the number crunching on those numbers in a population of 32 million people and you find a lot of gun owners, and a target market. There's a reason the CPC has a majority. Target market hit and word-of-mouth from that target market. Not that I'd know anything about that. ;)