Good all around target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

EJ45

Good all around target

Post by EJ45 »

What would you guys recommend as a good practice target? I have yet to shoot my Vortex due to work, but Id like to have a good target for whevever I DO have the opportunity
Matrix 355
lvt01

Re: Good all around target

Post by lvt01 »

For the money and any kind of practice...the Rinehart 18:1. :mrgreen:
EJ45

Post by EJ45 »

I saw that mentioned a few times, any experiences with the Block targets?
Matrix 355
roly

Post by roly »

For FPs I use a home made bag target

Works great and the price is right :D
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

No experience with the block. I know some people like them pretty well. Reason I like the Rinehart 18:1 is that I've been shooting at it hard for over 3 years and have yet to shoot through a single spot on it. Before I got the Rinehart I was going through about a target a year. Arrow removal is pretty easy with Danny Miller's plier. Plus...I can shoot either field points or broadheads at. Might be a little spendy at $99, but I think it was worth it.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

roly wrote:For FPs I use a home made bag target

I'm in the same boat as the OP, have had my Exocet since before X-Mas and have yet to shoot one arrow with it. I'm pretty well sold on the Rinehart target from all the posts I have read, but have yet to find one locally. So for the time being I was thinking of making my own since I have access to lots of commercial shrink wrap, but I have no idea how much it takes to stop an arrow. If I was to use a box instead of a bag, jammed full with shrink wrap, how wide would my box have to be to stop the arrows??
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bullzeye wrote:
roly wrote:For FPs I use a home made bag target

I'm in the same boat as the OP, have had my Exocet since before X-Mas and have yet to shoot one arrow with it. I'm pretty well sold on the Rinehart target from all the posts I have read, but have yet to find one locally. So for the time being I was thinking of making my own since I have access to lots of commercial shrink wrap, but I have no idea how much it takes to stop an arrow. If I was to use a box instead of a bag, jammed full with shrink wrap, how wide would my box have to be to stop the arrows??
If you are going to make one out of a wooden box you'll have to keep in mind that repetitive shooting in one area will eventually allow the arrow to penetrate further than you want it to go. You might want to think of using a large truck mudflap which are made of fiber and rubber at the back. Layered clothing works well as does layered window screening. You can get Spyderweb Target material for the face of your box from a dealer.
http://www.spyderwebtargets.com/ It will help keep your arrows straight so you don't shoot them on consecutive shots.
If I were to make a wooden box target I'd go at least 18" deep.
I use a Thirdhand Archery bag (cheap) with layered clothes (minus buttons and zippers). These bags last much longer than feed bags. If you have access to lots of feed bags you can use the bags as stuffing as well. Just remember to layer the material inside. Bags are better because when your arrows penetrate too far you just lay it down and stomp on it.
http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=9
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Those bags look interesting, and much easier to throw in my car. These bags do not look thicker than 12inches, it amazes me that cloths can stop an arrow with only that thickness.

Can these bags be purchased in Canada???
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bullzeye wrote:Those bags look interesting, and much easier to throw in my car. These bags do not look thicker than 12inches, it amazes me that cloths can stop an arrow with only that thickness.

Can these bags be purchased in Canada???
I got mine direct. Other than Danny Miller in Ohio I don't know who else sells them. You could call or email him to either order one or find a dealer here.
Shipping isn't too crazy as it comes in a small light package.
http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/about.asp
BTW, mine is in the basement and I've been beating it up for over a year and it still looks good.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
EJ45

Post by EJ45 »

Thanks for the feedback! I guess my next investment will be a Rinehart target!
Matrix 355
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

If you are in the states you should be able to get one under $90 shipped to your door.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I bought this about 3 years ago and just now have to change the cover - and I keep it outside all year.

http://www.morrelltargets.com/scripts/p ... product=25

It is great at stopping FPs. FYI - I shot some Rage 2 blade practice heads at it, and it bent the prtactice blades (they caught on the stuff inside)

Here is a link to how to build a "lifetime target". This is an awesome site by the way.
http://archeryreport.com/2011/04/diy-li ... ry-target/

I have not yet found a long lasting BH target but am thinking of trying the Rhiehart as well.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I got mine direct. Other than Danny Miller in Ohio I don't know who else sells them. You could call or email him to either order one or find a dealer here.
Shipping isn't too crazy as it comes in a small light package.
http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/about.asp
BTW, mine is in the basement and I've been beating it up for over a year and it still looks good.

Thanks Boo ! I just emailed them.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I use Morrell bag targets at my archery club. I have over 400 people at the range each year practicing before our 3 D shoot. They hold up very well and they have a nice green bag target for about $60.00 this isn't much money for a great bag target.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I'm not trying to say that the Rinehart 18:1 is the best target out there, but I have been really pleased at how well mine has held up after 3 years of shooting into it. This is with 5 different bows too.