Alaska Bear Hunting from air

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Alaska Bear Hunting from air

Post by wheelie »

Alaska just approved bear hunting from the air. I have to disagree and think somethings are best to be left to mother nature. Shoot bears from the air are they always going to put the helicopter down to retrieve the bear. They want to protect the other game animals. Think if that is the case maybe a bounty for hunters is a better way to go. Silliness in my opinion.
CanuckBen

Re: Alaska Bear Hunting from air

Post by CanuckBen »

Once ppl see what the hourly bill will be to fly-in with a helicopter, a lot of them will change their mind I can guarantee you that!!

I'm interested in getting to know more of what's behind their reasoning. Is there an over population of bears in Alaska that would merit this? What does the other game animal have to be protected against during the specific bear hunting season? Destruction of their habitats? Can’t be that as they share it. Poaching? Can’t be that either as it’ll happen no matter what.

Somethin’ isn’t adding up in my books.

Gonna have to Google that later tonight! Good find Wheelie.
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Wheelie thats not HUNTING, thats just plain shooting bears IMO !

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

According to the video link provided by Xbowkiller and I quote : "..State Game Agents are now allow to arial hunt bears along what's called the Dalton highway corridor" and also : "as a key part of an intense management law of predators".

So - this isn't about any joe hunter being able to rent a plane or helicopter to go hunting. Knew this didn't make any sense at all.

Whether or not not you agree with the method is a whole other discussion.

And whatdoyouknow, brought to you by a liberal left leaning news source, who would have thought!
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
Trx480Ryan

Post by Trx480Ryan »

The only time i've seen aerial shooting previously is on hogs down south, due to the overwhelming population of them, i cant see the bears being that bad up there, though i may be wrong, but i'm sure they could get more tags a low prices to help thin out the population?
2011 Excalibur Equinox With Quiver and Varizone
Remington 870 With Camera Mount
Ruger 10/22 With Scope and See through Mounts
2004 Trx450r with a little work.
1995 Ranger with a little work.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I couldn't agree with you more wheelie. That's just straight up a bad idea. What are they thinking?? :?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

I was told a hunter can only take one brown bear every four years. Also know of people getting in trouble going hunting in Alaska after flying in an aircraft the same day. So in my opinion instead of using taxpayers money for this, allow certain areas to get more tags or tags more often.
John
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

hankenhunter wrote:I'm getting bad feeling about this. To easy to abuse. I've seen the same thing in Canada and they got a public black eye the way it was done. Fish and wildlife would invite their Buddy's along on a cull and then brag afterward to anyone who would listen about how many animals they killed. I also disagree with shooting animals from helicopters. It's not the most stable shooting platform and lends itself to multiple unethical shots with animals suffering. JMO.
Hank

VERY WELL SAID !!!!
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

As a police officer myself this doesn't seem right even for Wildlife Officers. I know the Wildlife Officers I work with wouldn't want to do that unless they were made to. There are a lot of different ethical ways to manage the bear population if they have an issue. Sometimes new state laws that are enacted are so political the legislatures don't really listen to the experts that have to enforce their new laws they put in place. When this happens it just doesn't make much sense.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads