Excel String

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hester0305

Excel String

Post by Hester0305 »

I saw the post about the Excel string being too short.

I tried putting my Excel string back on my crossbow last night after reserving it and I couldn't get it to fit back on it seemed to short to fit back over the limb tips while I had it cocked back so I put my Flemish string back on. I wanted to try my new serving out to see how it would hold up compared to the stock serving on the Excel string. The Excel string doesn't seem to have much twist in it so I really didn't see how to make it longer. I have shot the Excel string about 125-150 times. I just couldn't figure out the problem so I put the twists back in my Flemish string and put it back on.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
masboy

Re: Excel String

Post by masboy »

I had to shorten up my sting changer had the same happen before.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2, shorten stringing aid. A few twists in Excel is more important than b-height.
"Eze 18:21"
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Thanks, I thought about that but I just didn't want to pull my limbs back to far
Stryker Katana 360
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Don't worry about them limbs pullin back, thats what they are meant to do. Put 3 twists into that factory string & don't worry about the brace height it will shoot n creep along the more you shoot. I have couple strings several yrs old couple thousand shots on them & they still ain't down to the lowest brace line by Riser. No matter a few fps they will have enuff speed to kill tick toters
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Thanks everyone I took your advice and had the string on an twisted up in no time.

Thanks
Eric
Stryker Katana 360
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Do you new guys fighting Excels and bheight know there's a 3rd offering that doesn't get much discussion called a Flemish Excel? Green and black strands, ask Danny about them..............
Dash

Post by Dash »

awshucks wrote:X2, shorten stringing aid. A few twists in Excel is more important than b-height.
G'day awshucks,
What is the reason for twisting up an excel string ? Just for serving tightness, or is there some benefit to the string strands being twisted together ?
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

It's supposed to strengthen the string. The way it was explained to me, an endless loop string is like a race track, there's inside and outside lanes [stands]. W/o twists, the inside strands [shorter] have more force applied against them than the outer.
Dash

Post by Dash »

That makes sense that there will be a "slight" variation in strand length/strand tension with the endless loop style string, especially on a "thick" crossbow string. It was a good way to explain it. I'm not dissmissing what your saying there.
But I would have thought that twisting/shortening a string of uneven strand tension will still shorten each strand to the same length, although I don't see how the slight difference in tension between stands will change as the string is tightened.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Guys this is out of my league, but would seem the twists would mix all the strands some to more of a rope thingy vs 1000 kite strings.

I'm thinking may be the twists average the individual lengths to a common one?

We need to hear from a string man, like little Donny Miller :mrgreen:
Dash

Post by Dash »

Hi Hank,
Maybe someone will have to correct me if I'm looking at this all wrong.
Going back to how an endless loop string is made...
In an excell string all loops are wound around the string jig with even tension at this point.Then the loop serving is wound around the strands forming a round shape used for the loop, some of the strands forced to the outside of the loop to form the round shape. This in my mind would result in the outer strands of the string loop being stretching slightly tighter than the inner while under tension (Outer strands are making a bigger loop at this point meaning more tension not less). Twisting this string up further, would result in the outer strands getting tighter than the inner strands creating a slightly further imbalance of tension "if anything", not less. Although we are talking a very small amount, and strands on the outside of one loop can possibly endup on the inside of the other while serving, evening the tension naturally as its not an excact strand laying process.
Awshucks said
W/o twists, the inside strands [shorter] have more force applied against them than the outer
This is where I think this theory is the other way around, the outer strands would have more tension at this point as they are stretched as they form a slightly bigger loop than inner strands. But If theres something really obvious that I'm overlooking here please correct me.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Stretch out an endless loop string without twists and you'll see a good number of strands with no tension (especially true with Dacron). When you twist the string the loose strands are forced to take the long way from loop to loop (around the shorter strands). You are still stuck with those shorter strands that are doing most of the work but with time those shorter strands elongate (creep) allowing the outer/longer strands to so some work.
So, put the string on with a few twists and leave the bow alone for a day at least before shooting or build a stretching jig.
I have a design that anyone can make. There are no angles, no dado cuts nothing fancy. Cheap too! You can take it apart when not used. You can put feet on it for more permanent use or attach it to a wall using a hinge.
Some people just like stepping on rakes