Who's your daddy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maple

Who's your daddy?

Post by maple »

The other day I was going through some old photos and got to thinking about all the outings and adventures I had with my dad. He was the one who taught me to appreciate and value the woods and waters, and the great hunting and fishing traditions we have. He's gone now, but I honour his teaching me right from wrong.

Who's your daddy?
Last edited by maple on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raymond

Re: Who'se your daddy?

Post by Raymond »

I know exactly how you feel. I would give anything to have my Mom and Dad back with me. I think this is a good idea to post a picture of one of your memories. I will have to get my favorite photo of Dad and myself with Mom. My Mom loved the outdoors as much as Dad and myself. My parents deserved a metal for teaching me right from wrong. And I am not bragging but they did a great job with me and for me. Thank you Mom and Dad. I miss you and love you both. Until we meet again Mom and Dad and William my brother and Lionel, my brother-in-Law, :( :) .
Raymond
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Lost my dad Dec. 16. He was a great guy. Never let us down, not even once. My brother and I are heading to mom's Sunday to split up dad's gun collection. I'm excited but sad at the same time. Gary
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

GaryM wrote:Lost my dad Dec. 16. He was a great guy. Never let us down, not even once. My brother and I are heading to mom's Sunday to split up dad's gun collection. I'm excited but sad at the same time. Gary
Sorry to hear that Gary. Losing a parent is one of the tough things in life we all have to face. Hope the loss eases for you. Mike
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

GaryM wrote:Lost my dad Dec. 16. He was a great guy. Never let us down, not even once. My brother and I are heading to mom's Sunday to split up dad's gun collection. I'm excited but sad at the same time. Gary
So sorry to hear that Gary, my heart goes out to you and to all of the family. I hope and pray for you and your brother that you both can split up that gun collection and have no conflicts with each other and remain a family. Because I know that is what your Dad would want.

When my Mom died almost three years ago, I was left in charge of her estate as the Executor of the Will. All of the other siblings knew what was on the will, and where and who was going to be receiving all of the estate for 5 or 6 years. Everything was alright until Mom passed on. Mom had made sure before she was sick that she gave everyone of us what she wanted us to have and the rest of her estate was going to my daughter, Stacey.

No sooner was Mom gone, then they forced my hand to take action with the will. I never even had a chance to properly mourn and grieve for Mom and it is still affecting me today. Two of my sisters are down right dirty snakes. They thought that they were going to take over and do whatever they wanted to. Well I put my foot down and stopped them in their tracks. I couldn't do it nicely because of the way they are. So now, we are no longer a family and with what they said and accused me of all over the internet with Facebook and all that other stuff I have disowned them as being my sisters. The night before Mom was laid to rest, they were threatening my thirteen year old daughter, Stacey, because they wanted this and that and more and more. I soon put a stop to that but it has affected my daughter, Stacey, more than we had known. She held it all in for years and now within the last few months is opening up to us and she is and has been struggling deeply with all the crap that went on. And for what, nothing actually, the Estate of my Mom was not a rich estate. And now we have her booked to go to a Councillor who can help her with some of the issues that needs a professional help. Not only did she lose her Grandmother that she cared deeply for, but she lost two Aunts also that she cared deeply for also and they turned on her when she needed us all, and for what, a small estate. If my Mom could have come back even for one day, I know exactly what she would do to those two girls. They are so lucky that Mom couldn't come back.

If this was still the old west, I would take my shotgun and would hunt them down like the scum they are and finish them off. It breaks my heart to see hear and hear her cry because of all the crap that went on. I am sorry that I was long winded but I just felt like getting that off of my chest.
Raymond
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Here's my Daddy. :D He's been gone over 4 years and not a day goes by that I don't miss him.

Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bugs

Post by bugs »

I have 2 Dads. My biologcal father who I have fished with drown himself with alcoholism and hung out a lot in jail, He died a few years ago. I have talked to all of you more than I ever have him. When he passed I was able to see he was once a good man before the booze controlled his life but unfortunately I never knew that side.

My Step-Dad was the one who took me fishing many times and bribed me with Happy Meals to convince me to go with him. He now laughs that it doesnt cost him and I ask him to go. I just found out last year that he did a little hunting when stationed in Louisianna when he was in the Navy. Only that one year but he said he enjoyed it. His health is not the greatest, diabetic/dialysis/Congestive Heart problems and losing his eye site and he lived almost 4 hrs from me so I do not see him often but we talk and to me he is my Dad, the one that took me fishing, hiking and roller skating (behind Moms back :lol: ). I wish we could do more but I still call him and tell him about my hunts and he gets excited to hear the story
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Wow condolences to all of you who have the void from missing parent/s. I'm very lucky to still have my Mom & Dad around. They were a bit young when he had me, but never denied me anything with their reach. Dad and I have had our ups and downs, but he is always there for me when I need him. I can remember him going Moose and Deer hunting every fall with his group of buddies since I've been able to remember. He always took my rabbit hunting and fishing as a youngster, thanks to him I caught a 32 lbs Salmon out of Lake Ont, and every year I won a prize with the derby and caught bigger fish than him :roll: . The last year the Toronto Star held the derby, Dad cashed in big time, with a 37 lbs Salmon for, biggest fish of the week, and won a boat motor and trailer fishing package.

When I came of age to Moose or Deer hunt, I never bothered, because it just seemed to be his time to be his own person with his buddies, so I left it at that, then the registry turned me right off. This Christmas when my wife surprised me with an Xbow, Pops was all over it and wants to go Turkey and Deer hunting together :mrgreen: . I'm looking so forward to it. I'll see if I can dig up some his pics to post here of his hunts.

I'm very thankful my Dad is with me and we have shared so many memories together, he's the reason I'm who I am today!! :D
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

We must cherish those around us everyday.
We never know how long we may have with them.
The older I get the fewer of these angels I have in my life.
I have been fortunate in that, sometimes I find a new angel to help me navigate through life.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
munch

Post by munch »

mine died when i was 9 and one of the memory's that sticks with me is squirrel hunting with him and my brother when i was 4 and my brother 5 we hunted a small bush behind our house a mile .he had a little take down semi auto browning and my brother and i would go around the trees and clap to put the squirrels on his side so he could shoot them .he was a very good shot
latter in life i became a heavy equipment operator and one day the dozier i ran got dropped off at that same 2 acre bush and i had to climb up in the seat and bulldoze that memory away did not leave a tree standing but every time i drive past the farm i look where the bush was and think of that day
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
TPM

Post by TPM »

Some very interesting stories here. My dad was neither a hunter nor a fisherman. He had no interest in the outdoors but he did have an interest in guns and shooting. I remember him taking my brothers and I to the old K-Mart store in Waterloo Town Square when I was around seven to buy a pellet gun for us. Both of my brother's interest was limited and short lived but I shot a pile of pellets out of that gun over the years and actually shot competitively in my early teens. I still have that gun and proudly turned it over to our son last year and he's having a ball learning to shoot with it. When I got older and got my hunting license my dad gave me the .22 that he got for his 16th birthday in 1933. Still have that gun too. He never really understood hunting or why I did it but he was always supportive of my endeavors.
Where my dad did influence my life more was with music. He was a professional musician for a good part of his life and while some of you spent Saturday mornings out hunting with your dads I was out with mine while he was doing band setups and sound checks. We always had music in our house and a lot of musicians hanging around when I was growing up. I have many fond memories of those days. I still have a great love for music and I've been a guitar player for around 35 years now.
I'd have to scan any pics I have of him to post since he died in 1993.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

First off this is an excellent post to honour our Fathers . :)
Dad use to take me and my brother since I can remember scouting or blind setups . Now I would proudly call him my hunting partner . He may move slower than when he was in his 50`s . But there is nothing in this world like sharing a hunt with family .
Here we are last year enjoying a toast of Turkey season 2011 .
This post would not be complete without honouring grandparents as well . :D
And me as a young lad with the same deer .
And a proud moment for Dad getting to hunt with his grandson . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I cant say enough good things about my folks but my Father was not a hunter. He liked to fish but that was before he raised a family. He gave it up like alot of other things. Im trying to raise my kids to be involved in the sport if they wish. I gotta say im a bit jealous of the guys and gals who had such an important chance to bond with a parent while in the woods so im trying to give my kids that chance.

This is a pic of my oldest boy and his old man :wink:

my youngest manchild, again with pops:

And my oldest baby girl, note the camo dress!

And the best friend (on the left) that intoduced me to hunting and got me hooked onto compound bows. I got him hooked on excaliburs and turkey hunting.

*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Those are some awesome photo tributes there everyone. It was my stepfather that got me into hunting and showed me the love of the great outdoors. Unfortunately I do not have any photos of himand I to share with you all. Many great memories though!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Broadside

Post by Broadside »

Even though I'm young, I have lots of friends who have lost their fathers. It has put things in perspective for me, and I know how lucky I am. My dad's always there to harvest bigger deer than me, and to fix things that I break (thanks for taking care of the window...). He has taught me not only right from wrong, but also left from right. He's never too busy to take me hunting or fishing, even if we're fishing from a road.

Thanks, Dad!!