your deer feeder idea's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

papa bear1

Re: your deer feeder idea's

Post by papa bear1 »

OR !!
Put some aluminum flashing around each of the supporting tree,s, so the coons can't climb them :) It's relativly cheap and available at your nearest building supply store . :wink:

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

That's a good idea also Dave, but would not work in my situation because there are to many tree's nearby where the coons can go up and jump from one branch to another to get to the tree that would have the metal flashing on it.

Here is my first try at my feeder, I still have to fix something up to connect it to my cable/rope since I do not want to hang it by the pail handle.

Last edited by Bullzeye on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Bullzeye wrote:That's a good idea also Dave, but would not work in my situation because there are to many tree's nearby where the coons can go up and jump from one branch to another to get to the tree that would have the metal flashing on it.

Here is my first try at my feeder, I still have to fix something up to connect it to my cable/rope since I do not want to hang it by the pail handle.

I like that set up. How much do you think it'll hold and what kind of flange is that connecting bucket and pvc?
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I have not yet filled it so would have to guess, its a 5 gallon pail and its a three foot long( give or take a few inches) 4 inch pipe which I guess would hold another 2 gallons, and if I remember correctly one gallon of whole corn weighs around 7lbs, so my guess(which could be wayyy off) would be 49-50lbs depending on how dry the corn is.

I was worried that someone would ask me what kind of flange it is :lol: I have no idea, I was just going through all kinds of plumbing parts and there it was.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Here is my hanging feeder to keep the critters out including those aggravating bears. It is a Remington 30 gal. tripod feeder modified to hang between 2 trees with a steel cable and a winch to crank it up and down. I bolt on the first set of tripod legs so when I let it down it sits on the ground stable.

Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

30 gal steel drum, 2 - 2" holes in the bottom, mortar mix poured in bottom and sloped toward the holes to force the corn toward them with mortar mix also added to the lid for weight.

wabi
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Bullzeye wrote:
I was worried that someone would ask me what kind of flange it is :lol: I have no idea, I was just going through all kinds of plumbing parts and there it was.
It looks to be like a toilet flange that sits below the wax ring at the floor, because there is an elongated hole where a T bolt would go where the toilet would bolt to holding it to the floor.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I have not filled it yet, but here it is set up in the woods, hopefully the deer will get used to it hanging there.

Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

i use juice barrels with removable lids and metal rings . they are plastic but very durable and bear proof , it will hold 300 pounds of roll corn and another 50 pounds of dried moleasses, which I might add works very well, I simply cut two holes two inches high by 5 inches wide and the grain simply gravity feeds onto the ground when deer or game want more feed they paw at the hole and more comes out seems to do the job great im going to try tImageo add pictures . Image Image
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Be careful with your feeder design. Anything used to hold or distribute corn that can get wet will cause the exposed corn to sour and it will turn into a soggy sour stinking mess and will contaminate it all.

Yes, coons (and squirrels, turkeys, wild hogs, bears, donkeys, cows, etc.) are a real problem when feeding corn, but it sort of comes with the territory. Corn feeders are the eqivilent to a local buffet for all animals and they all will come. All animals, big and small game, turkeys, etc. are attracted to an easy food source and they will exploit it. Putting some sort of varmint guard on will help but they may not be fool proof. Coon control and removal is usually the most effective method for minimizing loss. Buy a dozen DP type coon traps or some cheap cage type traps and by using them every other week or so, you can keep your coon population low to zero. With nuisance animal numbers low, you can use about any kind of feeder but it always helps to get it up and off the ground.

A trail camera will tell you what's happening at that feeder and give some ideas how you may need to alter your set up.

Dave
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I don't cement mine together. I have never had one come apart.
the elf

Post by the elf »

Wheelie---mine is like yours except that I have a second y pipe
above the bottom one with another section of pipe for feed. what
it means is I don't have to refill as often and I use just about all
of a 10 foot section of 4 inch pipe.I also use heavy spikes [1] per tree;
and some heavy guage wire to tie barrel of feeder to tree.One
hole in one of uprights big enough for spike to hang on and good to go.I use a milk bag jug as a filler for my corn and I can do it all
from the ground;for me it works quite well ;and the ------Bluejays
and squirrels like it too.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Dave1 wrote:Be careful with your feeder design. Anything used to hold or distribute corn that can get wet will cause the exposed corn to sour and it will turn into a soggy sour stinking mess and will contaminate it all.
I did not realize I deleted my pic's on Photobucket, so I now put them back and as you see in the pic I posted earlier I drilled holes in the feeder part so rain will not collect in it and rot the corn, or at least thats the plan lol
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Bullzeye wrote:I have not filled it yet, but here it is set up in the woods, hopefully the deer will get used to it hanging there.

Looks real good, nice job! The deer will get used to it real quick once you put some corn in it. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

wheelie wrote:I don't cement mine together. I have never had one come apart.
I made two of these. They work great and hold about 20 lbs of corn each. The deer and turkey seem to like them too. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads