Has the IBEX been replaced?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Re: Has the IBEX been replaced?

Post by TPM »

Doe Master wrote:Maybe instead of using the word synthetic , use glass filled synthetic polymer . :)
Kevin, they should move you into marketing. :wink: :D
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

TPM wrote:It is not my intent to persuade anyone one way or another nor to tick anyone off and I apologize if that's the case. For the benefit of the newer forum members, we went through all this a year ago when the Axiom came out.
A lot of perspective buyers use this forum as a source of information when deciding which bow to buy and when I see comments accusing Excal of cheapening their bows for the sake of profit and speculating that these inovations constitute a downfall in Excal quality I feel the need to chime in as this is simply not true. There was a need to expand their product line to include a more affordable bow and I think they did an excellent job of addressing this need without comprimising the integrity of their product. I don't always like some of the decisions Excal makes in their product line either ( I would like to see more non camo stuff) but I understand that they have to look at the big picture and that my personal preferences aren't always what sells.
Sure, you'll find that most of the die-hard fans will likely go for the aluminum rail over the SMF but that doesn't make the SMF junk.
"Eze 18:21"
strum

Post by strum »

I am amazed at all the posts on this subject...
since im a member i feel i must chime in too..
So here goes..
I LIKE EM ALL :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
taz3

Post by taz3 »

TPM wrote:It is not my intent to persuade anyone one way or another nor to tick anyone off and I apologize if that's the case. For the benefit of the newer forum members, we went through all this a year ago when the Axiom came out.
A lot of perspective buyers use this forum as a source of information when deciding which bow to buy and when I see comments accusing Excal of cheapening their bows for the sake of profit and speculating that these inovations constitute a downfall in Excal quality I feel the need to chime in as this is simply not true. There was a need to expand their product line to include a more affordable bow and I think they did an excellent job of addressing this need without comprimising the integrity of their product. I don't always like some of the decisions Excal makes in their product line either ( I would like to see more non camo stuff) but I understand that they have to look at the big picture and that my personal preferences aren't always what sells.
Sure, you'll find that most of the die-hard fans will likely go for the aluminum rail over the SMF but that doesn't make the SMF junk.
My opinion is very much similar to yours, I really don't think the quality will suffer with SMF Xbows, I just think the look is not as refined as the solid aluminum. It is important to know what type of reception their products receive. Most important SMF owners seem to be very happy with the Xbows, so if it just needs to be changed cosmetically to attract a larger receptive audience, it could be a simple fix.

This thread is very important from both, a business and consumer perspective, and the fact that discussion is civil, makes for enjoyable reading of varying opinions. :D
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

I am a traditional stock guy and I prefer the LOOK of the aluminum rail. That is why I bought a pheonix!

I think the SMF would be better recieved if it didnt have the honeycomb look on the sides of the rail. If it were the same in appearance as the aluminum but just in black, I believe I would like that LOOK better. To me its all about asthetics, I wouldn't question performance either way! :D
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I don't know if Excalibur considered it or not, but a large segment of the crossbow shooters are older men/women that can no longer use a "vertical" bow for whatever reason. Being of the older generation, they want METAL, not plastic (I know the SMF isn't "plastic" though).

I don't doubt that the SMF rails are just as strong as aluminum rails, and are probably more durable. But just as what my buddy said (he's 68 years old), after handling several different models of Excalibur bows, he said the SMF looked kinda' cheap.

I suspect that it's just in some older people's heads that any type of plastic, fiberglass, or poly resin will never be as good as something made of metal. Not saying that their opinion is wrong, but it is THEIR opinion. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Big58cal wrote:I don't know if Excalibur considered it or not, but a large segment of the crossbow shooters are older men/women that can no longer use a "vertical" bow for whatever reason. Being of the older generation, they want METAL, not plastic (I know the SMF isn't "plastic" though).

I don't doubt that the SMF rails are just as strong as aluminum rails, and are probably more durable. But just as what my buddy said (he's 68 years old), after handling several different models of Excalibur bows, he said the SMF looked kinda' cheap.

I suspect that it's just in some older people's heads that any type of plastic, fiberglass, or poly resin will never be as good as something made of metal. Not saying that their opinion is wrong, but it is THEIR opinion. :wink:
That's a good point. I wonder if Excal considors age demographic in it's product and marketing plan.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

when i was shopping for my first excal i was lookin hard at the Axiom because of price..but the rail kinda spooked me..i did,nt want to get any less than excal reliability..and lookin at the SMF i was guilty of putting it in the class of cheaper quality built bows..i know now i was very wrong..the SMF have been very accurate and reliable..but i am very happy with the exocet i bought..but without knowing the track record i did have some reservations about the axiom.. i think now i would have been pleased with it
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
wayne

Post by wayne »

I bought 2 excal's last year.
Both times I looked very hard at the axiom,s I think I shot a few axiom's over 50 times before buying a vortex & a ibex, the axioms were, sweet shooters, value priced, it was just that the rail looks like a milk crate to me is the only reason for not buying one or two of them, but they sure were great shooters.
I don't own or have stock in excalibur.....I just think they build the best hunting crossbow on the market, but my 2 cents is...If they have the axiom & the phoenix, I wish they would keep the ibex & the ibex smf in the line up IMHO
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

rumor in aussie is the vixen is next... :shock: :mrgreen: :shock:
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
SR CHIEF

Post by SR CHIEF »

I'am hearing that the Phoenix is being replaced by the IBEX.
Excalibur Phoenix
USN 1964-1985
taz3

Post by taz3 »

SR CHIEF wrote:I'am hearing that the Phoenix is being replaced by the IBEX.
No kick intended to you, but the Ibex and Phoenix are not the same Xbow, the stock grip, Camo pattern and overall length are different. I could see the Phoenix going the same way as the Ibex, but I'd be surprised if it was replaced. If anything the Axiom SMF could replace the Phoenix, they are the very similar.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

SR CHIEF wrote:I'am hearing that the Phoenix is being replaced by the IBEX.
g'day last year bill.t sent me an email & in the conversation saying his favorite excalibur was the 175 lb bows like the phoenix quote (smooth & flat shooting) :wink:
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

taz3 wrote:the Ibex and Phoenix are not the same Xbow, the stock grip, Camo pattern and overall length are different.
They are both 175lb bows with the same length rail? Other than one being traditional and the other having a thumbhole stock, what is different on them?
TPM

Post by TPM »

Nothing really. The overall length is a bit shorter but that's typical of all the thumb hole bows.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger