Has the IBEX been replaced?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Re: Has the IBEX been replaced?

Post by TPM »

If your buddy is set on the old Ibex it shouldn't be too hard to find one. Check with Danny Miller if he is having trouble finding one. He may be able to help.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Tv spots show the bow being run over by a truck.

Not that a bow needs to survive that, but I wonder if the composite rails will be as good.
I only worry about temp extremes for the most part.
I think I will be sticking to aluminum.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Cat power wrote:
Doe Master wrote:J Krug wrote
Oh really?? Who??
I happen to know the warranty guy pretty good . :P
But I don`t want to name drop . :)
I bought my bow from the warranty guy. I will probably contact him this week to get his insight.
I know a warrenty guy, he wanted to hang a brick off the back of my crossbow to lighten up the front end for me one time! LOL
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

And it probably would work too , Wheelie . :)
I was talking about the warranty guy at Excalibur . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Doe Master wrote:And it probably would work too , Wheelie . :)
I was talking about the warranty guy at Excalibur . :)
Oh, must have misread again :) :)
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

wheelie wrote:
I know a warrenty guy, he wanted to hang a brick off the back of my crossbow to lighten up the front end for me one time! LOL
That's funny :D
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Where's that great little popcorn eating emoticon. Wheelie, wasn't that one of yours?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

My popcorn guy was offensive to some people so he got put away! Image
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Before I got my Equinox, I was looking at all of the different Excalibur models. I knew I wanted an Excalibur, but didn't know which one. Since I'm of the opinion that "bigger is always better", I went with the Equinox. :lol: Prior to that though, I was seriously considering the Ibex because it was lighter and shorter than the Equinox and I thought it might be a little better for my little boy to shoot also. Once I really got to looking at the what the numbers were as far as the differences in the Ibex and Equinox, I figured it wasn't enough to matter so I went with the big'un. :wink: Personally, I like the thumbhole stock over the traditional stock.

A buddy of mine from far Eastern KY came down here to the house on Friday and I took him over to the local Bass Pro Shop on Friday, since I know he doesn't have anything like that around where he lives. I think he's getting ready to turn 68 years old and hasn't been able to bowhunt the past few years because he can't pull his vertical bow. I've been after him to get a crossbow and I think he's finally made up his mind to get one. He knows about Excalibur's reputation and has heard me brag about mine, so while we were at Bass Pro Shops we went and "fondled" the different Excalibur models they had on display (funny that we didn't even look at any of the others :lol: ). With all of the different models they had, we talked about them and he got to handle them all. They had one of the SMF models there. He knew that I recommended a 175 lb draw model for him (he's a pretty little guy). After handling both the traditional and thumbhole stocks, he liked the thumbhole stocks. After handling both the SMF and the aluminum rail models, he said that the SMF was lighter, but like the aluminum rail better. He said that the SMF seemed "kinda' cheap". Looking at the prices, the SMF model was cheaper, but he said that he was willing to pay more to get what he wanted.

So................ After handling the different models, with the different stocks and rails, my buddy preferred the thumbhole stock, aluminum rail, 175 lb draw model. I wonder which one that is??? :roll:

Here's an idea. If Excalibur is really about customer service and giving the people what they want, why not give people the option to choose different things? Why not give the option of camo rail or plain rail? SMF rail or aluminum rail? Still offer the "standard" build, but give people the option. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
TPM

Post by TPM »

So................ After handling the different models, with the different stocks and rails, my buddy preferred the thumbhole stock, aluminum rail, 175 lb draw model. I wonder which one that is???

Here's an idea. If Excalibur is really about customer service and giving the people what they want, why not give people the option to choose different things? Why not give the option of camo rail or plain rail? SMF rail or aluminum rail? Still offer the "standard" build, but give people the option.
This is exactly the kind of feedback Excal wants. They're in the business of selling bows so sales numbers and market feedback are going to drive what they offer in the line-up. I'm sure if there is enough demand you'll see a 175lb. aluminum rail, thumbhole stocked bow back in the catalogue someday.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

TPM wrote:
This is exactly the kind of feedback Excal wants. They're in the business of selling bows so sales numbers and market feedback are going to drive what they offer in the line-up. I'm sure if there is enough demand you'll see a 175lb. aluminum rail, thumbhole stocked bow back in the catalogue someday.
FWIW:

Excalibur would need to have both models in the lineup in order to get a true test of market demand.

It seems to me, they don't want to put them up head to head because they want to market the one with higher profit margin. And that's ok but I want a choice and they are not giving me one.

If all their bows end up with synthetic rails, I will NOT be buying any new bows from them!!! :evil:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
TPM

Post by TPM »

Excalibur would need to have both models in the lineup in order to get a true test of market demand.

It seems to me, they don't want to put them up head to head because they want to market the one with higher profit margin. And that's ok but I want a choice and they are not giving me one.

If all their bows end up with synthetic rails, I will NOT be buying any new bows from them!!!
If the crossbow market is anything like the market for any other product then the biggest consumer demand is low price. I haven't shot the SMF railed bows myself but what I heard from those who have there is no loss of accuracy and even a few more FPS in speed. As for durability, plastics these days at very tough. I believe the SMF rails are made from the same plastic as the stock. They are also steel reinforced so they won't bend, break or warp. I do know that, like all other aspects of Excal bows, these new SMF rails have been stress tested to a great degree. The Axioms have been out for over a year and I haven't heard of any problems of them breaking or warping or anything else.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Normous

Post by Normous »

I spent one afternoon shooting the SMF with a friend and was just as impressed with the mainframe quality and slightly lower weight. I have been shooting many Excaliburs since my first Exocet purchased in 1991 and today I would not have an issue owning one with the new synthetic mainframes.

The SMF cost goes down a bit, speed goes up some and a small reduction in weight is a positive selling point in my book.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Tom

Post by Tom »

Ont_Excal wrote:

If all their bows end up with synthetic rails, I will NOT be buying any new bows from them!!! :evil:
Ont_Excal I must disagree with most of your statement. Yes Excalibur is worried about $ as they are a company and $ is what makes the company succeed. But Excalibur has always been a company that worries a lot about DEPENDABILITY (coming from someone who has their product for over 25 years).

Balancing quality and profit is a difficult task. You can raise the price above what many consumers can or are willing to pay for the product, this will actually effect the profit margin. Excalibur has also said in the past that by their ability of using a lot of the same parts for all of their bows they were able to the inventory low which reduces over all costs.

Yes Excalibur can offer many many different styles of bows, but this will increase the total inventory on the number of bows as well as parts for these bows. This will increase their cost in running the company, lower profit margin.

Yes Excalibur does listen to what is said here on this forum. I have seen many things added to the bows from forum suggestions. I also do not believe that they will totally go in the direction of the new rail.

No doubt that you could probably contact Mr Miller or Excalibur and get one made to what you desire if the model is not standard.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
taz3

Post by taz3 »

With everything already in place, it would be an excellent time for Excalibur to offer a "Build Your Own" Xbow. There are many interchangeable parts between the many different levels/series of bows, so they could offer customers to build their own and get a good idea what the consumer wants. This can all be done while they're heading in the same direction they intend to, no extra stock would need to be added to their inventory and over the next year they could get a feel to see if this has any value in attracting a broad client base.

I understand the SMF maybe as good as aluminum and more cost affective, but the look IMO, is something to be desired. I got to admit the day after Christmas I went right to the site to look at the Axiom, that my wife originally was going to purchase for me, and was so relieved it was sold and she got a deal on the Phoenix.

It's a shame people have lost the true value of quality, to save a buck. :(
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting