Deer in Southern Ontario

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Galgo

Deer in Southern Ontario

Post by Galgo »

Well now that we are heading into February I can confidently say that this will be a third easy winter in a row on our deer. No snow accumulation thus far, still lots of food and forage available for them. Even if February is brutal they should make it through ok.

My observations this hunting season were that every doe we saw had a fawn and there were some twins too.

The vast majority of bucks that we saw and shot were 1.5 years olds.

I think next year we will see allot of very healthy 2.5 year olds with solid racks and allot of healthy yearlings.

Any other similar observations?
georgiaboy

Re: Deer in Southern Ontario

Post by georgiaboy »

Very mild winter here in the deep south...not a lot of movement in the late season. Everybody i talked to harvest numbers were down...hopefully better season this year.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I'm in Essex County in SW Ontario and we have the exact same mild weather here, very mild. I also saw lots of fawns and twin fawns last fall and I expect the same will be true this fall. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

It's typical of farm country does to have twins and even triplets, usually during the young and healthy years of her life. As the doe ages, fawn production will decrease.

I have seen many times where doe has had a fawn within the first year of here life. But only during cycles of mild weather as we have this year.

With the lack of snow, deer have another benefit not obvious at first glance. With the lack of snow they don't stand out to predators and escape is easy as they can run full tilt. The rain helps to wash away their scent and this enhances their concealment.

I agree, we should be in for a good hunting season this fall.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I was just mentioning this to my Dad on the weekend, that next season should be good for hunting. A mild winter like this will allow the population to be strong and healthy, although some of the local farmers may not be to happy until opening day! :roll:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
goosesmasher

Post by goosesmasher »

I agree that we're having a very easy winter this year but we had all time record snow levels here last winter in 91/92.I too have seen a pile of does with twin fawns this past season and now on the trail cam.Hopefully we'll have a banner year next season!

Goose smasher
DanO

Post by DanO »

It'll be interesting to see how the MNR adjusts the additional tag limits. I still think the herd is down and the number of tags should be reduced. I just wonder how much of a CASH COW those extra tags are for the Ministry (and their budgets are going to be cut again!). Might not be able to reduce the tags.

The winter has been awesome for deer and turkeys and it's nearly over.
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

hankenhunter wrote:Fairly mild here in B.C. The weather forecasters really blew it this year. Happy forecasting, :D
Hank
HAHAHA Did nothing but shovel snow and freeze my week in Abbotsford!!!!! LOL
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

Great winter for deer...however I saw many more coyotes this fall than I did deer. We need to get that dog population down.
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
taz3

Post by taz3 »

XCaddis wrote:Great winter for deer...however I saw many more coyotes this fall than I did deer. We need to get that dog population down.
Fratri is doing his best to help keep the numbers down! :wink:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I think the yote population will suffer because of this lack of snow.
All game can escape at full speed and hide from the predators.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"