Acquiring Hunting Knowledge

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

papa bear1

Re: Acquiring Hunting Knowledge

Post by papa bear1 »

All of the above information is spot on, :!: pretty simple huh :?: not at all confuseing, :roll: Now go out and enjoy yourself, and bag your deer, Once you get the 1 rst. one under your belt you'll be wiser, But if you don't get one don't despare, it will come :wink: Good luck to you :)

Dave
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
taz3

Post by taz3 »

There is great info here, even with the differing opinions, everyone seems to agree each situation can be unique. It's cool to have all the opinions and shared knowledge, it gives me some insight to getting started and how different areas maybe hunted respectively. Sitting still, is rarely mentioned in most what I have read and although it maybe obvious for seasoned hunters, it could easily be overlooked as newbie!
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
wabi

Post by wabi »

One thing I didn't mention was to hunt every chance you get. :wink:
I am self-employed and in early archery season I frequently sit in the blind or stand even if the odds of seeing deer are poor. Often if it's only for an hour or two and in weather that isn't supposed to be good for deer hunting, but it's still a better chance of getting a shot than I'd have setting at home. :lol:
wabi
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

One thing I didn't see in this thread was addressing a deer's ability to see UV light. I started using UV killer a very long time ago and that makes a huge difference. Many dyes used in clothes - even camo clothing - reflect UV light which a deer can see but you cannot. UV Killer is a product that works (you test it with a blacklight) and really helps make you invisible. For what it's worth here's my routine
wash all clothes with scent free laundry soap
spray all clothes with UV Killer (once per season)
only wear my hunting clothes and boots hunting
NEVER EVER EVER wear myhunting boots when gassing up my vehicle
shower with scent free soap before every hunt
spray down with scent killer at hunting site - including back pack and bow
wear a ghille suit
sit still - only move when a deer is moving. If he's still and you move - BUSTED

Good luck and don't get too upset when you make a mistake - just learn from it. hunting as a hard sport like that. After a mistake it typically takes awhile before you can show that you've learned from it - sometimes a whole year.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><