Need some advice climbing tree stand or not

Post by joe171 »

Need some advice climbing tree stand or not
by joe171 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi I need some in put on climbing stands or not

Back in the deer bush after 20 years will hunting both private and public land
Retired now and have the time and drive

I will have to pack it in and out cant leave it in over night damm

I really want your input and exuberance with different stands and there applications I have been reading different manufacturer web sights but i think i will get a better idea from the people who use them

Joe
I moved this post from other section :oops: :oops:
georgiaboy

Re: Need some advice climbing tree stand or not

Post by georgiaboy »

I've used several different brands & models over the last 30yrs...my summit viper is the best by far, not even close. :wink:
Liked it so much i bought another one. :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have a Summit Viper SS model which is very decent, for bigger ppl the goliath would be a better choice. As the yrs go by i have slowed down using my climber so much. Some very hard barked trees will let it slip abit rising & decending. Scares me some
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
BryanOney

Post by BryanOney »

I have had a Summit Viper and then a Summit Goliath as I became more portly. Loved both. I switched to a climber due to my lock on stands being stolen, even when I was taking out my screw in steps on our own farms. Going in to hunt a stand in the AM and finding it gone sure raises the blood pressure. Going to a 2nd stand in that woods and finding it gone that same morning is a melt down experience. Since going to a climber I have never looked back. I have lock on stands, I should sell them. All I use is my climber now. A good investment with my climber was an 18 foot Florian pole saw and an 8 inch Florian folding saw. I spend my off season going around cutting shooting lanes for probably 40 stand sites for all the properties I hunt and for all wind directions. Once you get the stand sites prepped a climber is way more easy to use than setting up 20 lock ons each fall. I used to have ladder stands. Never had one stolen, I locked them to the trees. I have went to them before to find them covered with mud and surrounded by beer cans and candy wrappers where some slob had been hunting it. I try not to hunt a spot more than 2 or 3 times a season. A climber helps with that also. No one else usually finds or uses my spots. My Summits are way more comfortable than lock ons also. I often take a 5 or 10 minute nap in mine when needed. Especially in the evening after work. It is impossible to fall out of. Using a climber I do not have to worry about falling asleep like I did in a lock on and dropping my loaded crossbow. Seeing it fall in slow motion, and going off sending a bolt up through the woods to never be found. Just some thoughts from my side of the fence. Dropping that loaded crossbow was not my finest moment. That happened in 92. This may be the first time I ever mentioned it to anyone. Hope this is of some use.
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

What ever you do be safe!!! I fell 20 ft taking down a ladder stand 11 years ago, clean break of my tibia and tore every ligament holding my ankle and leg together. I was lucky I landed on my feet or I'd be dead or eating from a straw right now. Always wear your safety harness!!! The new climbers like the summit viper are really nice. From start to finish I'm up a tree in under 10 minutes safely..
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I to have been looking into a climber. The summits seem to be VERY popular. I ended up buying a equalizier treestand because it can be leveled with a turn of the crank. Very nice. A local had a treewalker climber for sale which is hard to find used and I could'nt resist purchasing it. That stand is like being in a recliner. I think its the most comfortable stand out there. I am going to take them out and try both and make a decision on which one stays and the other will be sold. Check out both of these stands. The equalizier used is gone as fast as it goes up for sale. And, the treewalker rarely gets sold used at all. Good luck on your quest. :)
strum

Post by strum »

agingcrossbower wrote:I to have been looking into a climber. The summits seem to be VERY popular. I ended up buying a equalizier treestand because it can be leveled with a turn of the crank. Very nice. A local had a treewalker climber for sale which is hard to find used and I could'nt resist purchasing it. That stand is like being in a recliner. I think its the most comfortable stand out there. I am going to take them out and try both and make a decision on which one stays and the other will be sold. Check out both of these stands. The equalizier used is gone as fast as it goes up for sale. And, the treewalker rarely gets sold used at all. Good luck on your quest. :)
Hey Mike .let us know how you like that Tree walker..I looked at them online last year but since i never tried one or know anyone who has I was uncertain if they were all hype or not....love my summit viper and it would have to be realy special to get me to change,,
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
strum

Post by strum »

Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Another vote for the Summit. If you have the right tools you can hunt pretty much anywhere you want, in minutes. I got the extra bags for it that hang off the sides, I keep my harness and spare calls in there.. I couldn't imagine a random hunt without that thing.
I also have a knock-off of a Tree Lounge, it is very, very comfortable. Problem is that it is so darn heavy I have never tried to get it in a tree, so it is my official fire-pit chair.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Thank you everybody for the input :D

after reading all the manufactures claims i wanted an opinion from people who actually use them NOT SELL them !!!

So it`s decided i`m going to pickup a summit Gorilla climber
Old fart 6 ft 3 inch and 250 # `s I want something strong

Again thanks for your suggestions and taking the time

Joe
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

[quote="joe171"]Thank you everybody for the input :D

after reading all the manufactures claims i wanted an opinion from people who actually use them NOT SELL them !!!

So it`s decided i`m going to pickup a summit Gorilla climber
Old fart 6 ft 3 inch and 250 # `s I want something strong

Again thanks for your suggestions and taking the time

Joe[/quote
Yo see if'en anyone around you has a Summit climber & will let you try it out
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

Summit here too. Gorilla. I am almost same size as you Fits great. However if your not gonna wear harness 100 percent get a good ground blind please!!!
Only issue I have had is can slip a bit on hardbark. Tends to be a bit cumbersome too. It is quite large
Play safe happy hunting. Welcome back to the game
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Helmut wrote:Summit here too. Gorilla. I am almost same size as you Fits great. However if your not gonna wear harness 100 percent get a good ground blind please!!!
Only issue I have had is can slip a bit on hardbark. Tends to be a bit cumbersome too. It is quite large
Play safe happy hunting. Welcome back to the game

Thanks Helmut :D
I think i read it comes with one if not One will included when i buy one lol
Not in stock at BassPro shop in Toronto ontario need to check with them but was waiting for the feed back from the forum
Thanks for the Good advice
joe :D
vortex

Post by vortex »

opps
Last edited by vortex on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excalibur Vortex
Vari-Zone Scope
OFAH Member
www.wildcam.ca
www.excaliburcrossbow.com
www.ontariooutofdoors.com
vortex

Post by vortex »

joe171 wrote: Not in stock at BassPro shop in Toronto ontario need to check with them
joe :D
I got my Summit Goliath from Al's Corner Store in Arnprior ( http://www.alscornerstore.ca ) Pricing and shipping was reasonable.
Excalibur Vortex
Vari-Zone Scope
OFAH Member
www.wildcam.ca
www.excaliburcrossbow.com
www.ontariooutofdoors.com