aluminum or carbon???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lswoody

aluminum or carbon???

Post by lswoody »

For an excal crossbow which should I go with????? Which is the fastest??? Thanks!!!
Proverbs 3:5-6
bucknbill

Re: aluminum or carbon???

Post by bucknbill »

i would think carbon would be faster..i use carbon for target shooting, but when it,s time for huntin i like aluminum..if you ask 10 people you might get 10 different answers..they both have certain advantages..shoot a few of each
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
Normous

Post by Normous »

The one fastest is the one closest to the 350 grain minimum weight. 2213 aluminum or GTII carbon - your choice. Both can be made close to the 350 gr min.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

There you go! The fastest arrow is the one at 350 gr total weight. Thar be some on the Forum likes the light is right thinking, :lol: Hey nutten wrong with that. Things to look at, what are you hunting & what model do you have. Mech. BH's seem to need more weight using lighter poundage models. Fixed have no problem getting complete pass-throughs. Now i ain't saying you go out n shoot a Bull Buffalo wid an arrow weight of 350 & a stinger BH with a vixen & expect a pass-through.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

vixenmaster wrote:There you go! The fastest arrow is the one at 350 gr total weight. Thar be some on the Forum likes the light is right thinking, :lol: Hey nutten wrong with that. Things to look at, what are you hunting & what model do you have. Mech. BH's seem to need more weight using lighter poundage models. Fixed have no problem getting complete pass-throughs. Now i ain't saying you go out n shoot a Bull Buffalo wid an arrow weight of 350 & a stinger BH with a vixen & expect a pass-through.

If you can shoot and hit what your aiming at, $$$ to donuts you will get a pass-thru 350, stinger, com-bo :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Both will do the job...but i got tired yrs ago of shooting bent arrows so i made the switch to carbon. It's either straight or broke. :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Boo

Post by Boo »

lswoody wrote:For an excal crossbow which should I go with????? Which is the fastest??? Thanks!!!
Depends on your priorities. Is it speed? What about noise? How about price? Straightness?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
cspot

Post by cspot »

georgiaboy wrote:Both will do the job...but i got tired yrs ago of shooting bent arrows so i made the switch to carbon. It's either straight or broke. :mrgreen:
That is why I like carbon.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
Boo

Post by Boo »

cspot wrote:
georgiaboy wrote:Both will do the job...but i got tired yrs ago of shooting bent arrows so i made the switch to carbon. It's either straight or broke. :mrgreen:
That is why I like carbon.
Carbon shafts can be cracked, can loose their spine and can loose their straightness. But they certainly do not get damaged from being pulled from a target like aluminum shafts can.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Michael.stogre

Post by Michael.stogre »

Carbon arrows can bend and warp too! Just ask Boo.
I like the 2216 Easton superslams. They are made of
a superior aluminum alloy and and are one of the
staightest arrows on the market

MJS
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I used to shoot alot of 3-D's using alum. I can tell you the thinner the wall the faster the spine gets weak & will bend. I have seen my 2213 bend by the end of a 25 round course. The ppl who sell arrow straightners just make money. Once an alum. arrow gets weak its ruined, straighten it all you want to. When you shoot it the the next time it will bend!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use aluminum.
It is my opinion (note: keyword - opinion - not proven scientific fact! :lol: ) that aluminums are more consistently straight than carbons from the factory.
Give me a dozen new aluminums and a dozen new carbons freshly prepared for use and the aluminums will group better every time in my experience. Seems like there are always a few "fliers" with the carbons. :roll:

I am always extremely careful when I pull an arrow from a target! The Danny Miller arrow puller is a required item IMO!

I am currently using 2215s I made up several years ago. I have destroyed a few, but of the ones I made (can't remember the exact number but I think it was around 20 I bought that were "like new/lightly used" off eBay to convert to crossbow arrows) I still have about a dozen that are in good shape.
wabi
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i stick with alum for cost and seeing a bunch of pictures of carbon shaft splinters in peoples hands is enough to keep me away....bad enough to have the junk in your hands, can't even begin to think bout them in ones eyes.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
SR CHIEF

Post by SR CHIEF »

I'am with bob1961,don't need no carbon splinter, Aluminum is what I like to.
Excalibur Phoenix
USN 1964-1985
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

bob1961 wrote:i stick with alum for cost and seeing a bunch of pictures of carbon shaft splinters in peoples hands is enough to keep me away....bad enough to have the junk in your hands, can't even begin to think bout them in ones eyes.........bob....
No matter what we shoot, we should all be wearing eye protection at the very least.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"