Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
gerald strine

Re: Excal's very loud ?????

Post by gerald strine »

My re curve is much quieter when it comes time to reserve a string The compound guys make this horrible groaning sound when they tell them it cost a $100 dollars and they can pick up their bows in 3 weeks. :D
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Boy that would really suck if you had flown in on a Caribou hunt and broke or cut a string . :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Having owned and shot both compounds and recurves (2 of former, three of latter, I see mot much difference in the VOLUME of noise they make. Neither are so quiet that a deer won't hear them. Trick is to shoot at RELAXED deer - and avoid movement when doing so.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Had 2 Horton Legends and I think my Vortex as I got it was louder. But Ijust adding a FFF string has quieted it alot and I'd put it on par with the Horton. I'm planning to video some shots of bolts with vanes and feathers (from the deer's perspective) to see if there is a difference in noise. I'll throw the Horton i there and figure out how to post it. Hopefully in the next few weeks.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
roly

Post by roly »

The guys I hunt with all use compounds. they always tell me how loud Excals are, because thats the only thing they can find to complain about an Excal

I tell them that Excal makes them like that on purpose

So they will know my Excal just took another. :)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

In the majority of deer "string jumping" videos, the deer are actually dodging the arrows. The arrow speeds are too slow.

In a 30 yard shot or less . . .the deer does not have time to jump the string or dodge the arrow when it's travelling over 300 FPS.

Are crossbows loud? Yes.

Does it hinder you from killing a deer? No.

Does it bother me when I shoot? No.

Is Vixenmaster's buck screaming, "your bow is too loud"? Well, it's mouth is open and looks to be saying something, but, in reality, it's dead.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Like sumner says, a deer doesn't "jump" the string. They actually duck the arrow because they have to load up the muscles in their legs to spring away, and they do this by dropping down a bit. The best case (for the deer) would be if he can drop at a rate equal to the acceleration of gravity then.........With an initial velocity of 300fps, and using the average spped of 291fps (from the "arrow performance link to the left) to account for the arrow slowing down...it takes an arrow 0.309 seconds to reach the deer. In the same distance it takes the sound 0.09 seconds, so he has about 0.219 seconds to react. Best case he can drop 9.25 inches in that time. I'd say an alert deer can come pretty close to that number. And no matter how "quiet" you make your bow it's still alot louder than the woods and I bet an alert deer would react the same way to a "quiet" bow and a "loud" bow. So get 'em in close, and keep 'em relaxed. If you're worried....aim at the heart and if they duck it will be a perfect double lung.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

nchunterkw . . .not sure about the numbers . . .I did read an article that concluded a deer could not "jump the string" at 30 yards or less . . .but, I forget the FPS that was used to do the math.

Even in your math . . .you are assuming the "best case" for the deer. Nothing reacts instantly, not even an alert deer. A quarter of a second . . .that's very little time.

I'll see if I can find the article . . .seems like it was in Field and Stream.

***I couldn't find the article, but, did find another that supported the theory of an 8 inch possible drop. My conclusion . . .there are way too many deer taken with a bow for deer to be dropping 8 inches at the sound of the shot. . .so, while 8 inches is possible, reality doesn't support the likelihood of it happening very often. I'll keep aiming low in the kill zone, but, I'm not aiming 8 inches low and hoping the deer will drop . . ., twice.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
taz3

Post by taz3 »

This guy got 3 chances, and I'm positive Excals aren't this loud! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiq8uVMTaBY
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
willhunting

Post by willhunting »

taz3 wrote:This guy got 3 chances, and I'm positive Excals aren't this loud! :shock:

very funny !! :D
Matrix 380 camo!!!!!
Excal Vixen black !!
Boo string
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I just bought my Vortex in December so I haven't had a chance to kill a deer with it but I've shot it several hundred times and the noise definitely isn't anything that I'm going to worry about when it comes to hunting season. Some of my friends compound crossbows are quieter but I love having the peace of mine that my Excalibur is almost worry free, and if someting happens I can fix some of the iissues myself. My friends can't fix anything on their crossbows they can't even decock their crossbow without shooting it.

You have been given some great advice on here I wouldn't worry about the difference in noise between the 2 because it doesn't matter to a dead deer or dead turkey.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

taz3 wrote:This guy got 3 chances, and I'm positive Excals aren't this loud! :shock:

It happens, I took a young fella out hunting a couple years ago, and he took a shot( his first time shooting a deer) on a real nice doe about 40 yards away but he was so excited he shot way low and missed. That crazy doe never moved , giving him time to reload, relax and shoot again, this time making a perfect heart shot.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

I haven't hunted with my x-bow yet but target shooting all i hear is the arrow smackin the target :mrgreen:
Hoagy
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

sumner...I hear ya .... I was only trying to point out that a deer that reacts to the sound can move alot more than one might think. And yeah, 9" is alot,..... in fact I'm not even sure they need to squat down that far to get ready to run,.... but 4" or 6" is well within the realm of possibility. Anyway what I said was that an alert deer could come close to the 9"....which your article confirmed.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><