What Scope Caps to Order?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cryon

What Scope Caps to Order?

Post by Cryon »

Looking for opinions on scope caps to put on my Shadow Zone
Something that will stay on to protect the lenses from the elements and dust and dirt build up.

I want solid Matte Black caps not the see through ones.

What is everyone running on their scopes?
Sizes and compnay for the end caps if possible please.

Thanks
Exocet 165
Vixen Deluxe
Shadow Zone
Ibex SMF
Boo Custom Strings
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
awshucks

Re: What Scope Caps to Order?

Post by awshucks »

Hard to see thru the solid black, think you will have few choices. The Vari-zone comes w/ clear and yellow tinted w/ two small bungee cords on the sides, most remove them when hunting.

Next option is the flip up Blizzards, no idea on the sizes but they have clear lenses in case you get blindsided and don't have time to flip them up.

All of my BSA's have screw in metal caps, ala older Unertyl's but doubt you would want one on an xbow.

Gotta ask, why solid black?
"Eze 18:21"
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I also like clear covers , have them on all my rifles and will be looking for a set for my shadow zone scope. When its raining or snowing I prefer to wipe the cover clear and not have to wipe the actual lens taking a chance to scratch it. Can't help ya with the correct size though, I have not had a chance to try any yet.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

dbl. post :oops:
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Cryon

Post by Cryon »

I have used the clear butler creek blizzards and was not a fan of them. To me it seemed almost like the field of view was smaller with the caps closed and I had a hard time focusing on any target weather it was a quick acquisition or a bench shooting session.

The time it took me to focus on the target through the plastic caps was just as long or longer than it would have taken to flip open a solid black cap set and be looking through the glass of the scope only.

So I figured a solid black set would be the next to try.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Exocet 165
Vixen Deluxe
Shadow Zone
Ibex SMF
Boo Custom Strings
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

But you would only be hunting with the caps down if it was raining or snowing, otherwise you would have the caps flipped up. Nothing worse than spotting a nice deer while its snowing hard and you flip up your caps only to have your vision blurred by snow on the scope lens. Never mind chancing a scratch on the lens, have you ever tried to wipe snow or rain for that matter out of the objective lens, its a real pain since its recessed into the scope housing, but with the clear caps you can easily wipe the front clear cover, even using a rough glove.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Cryon

Post by Cryon »

I agree that getting snow and rain out of the lense housing is very annoying and hard to do while still taking care of the scope lense. That is the main reason for going to a flip up cap.

But now my question is if its snowing or raining hard enough that you have to wipe the scope cap clean to take a shot wouldn't it be more advantageous to just flip it open and have a clear view through the scope lense that has been protected from the elements ?
Because I if it is raining or snowing hard enough to fog or block a scope lense wouldn't it just cover the scope cap aswell?
Exocet 165
Vixen Deluxe
Shadow Zone
Ibex SMF
Boo Custom Strings
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
strum

Post by strum »

I tried the caps..never liked em on any of my scopes..
for about 20 years now i have been using Butler Creek Bikini on mine..one size fits all and it does a great job of sealing out moisture. only down side is the do dryrot over time but they are fairly inexpensive to replace..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Cryon,

Butler Creek would be my first option for opaque black scope caps, I believe Leupold Alumina scope caps might be a possibility, although they are quite pricey. Weaver also makes clear and yellow scope caps as well, priced fairly close to the BC caps.

I didn't like the fit of the BC clear blizzard caps on my Varizone scope so I machined up some adapters that let me go to a larger scope cap that did block any of the scope when in the closed position.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ap#p294431
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Cryon wrote: But now my question is if its snowing or raining hard enough that you have to wipe the scope cap clean to take a shot wouldn't it be more advantageous to just flip it open and have a clear view through the scope lense that has been protected from the elements ?
Because I if it is raining or snowing hard enough to fog or block a scope lense wouldn't it just cover the scope cap aswell?
Depends on which way the snow is blowing, so if you flip it up and big flakes are falling onto your lens your screwed, which is y i prefer to do a quick wipe of the clear cover and shoot.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I got the Butler Creek Blizzard Caps for my Max/Zone scope.

http://www.butler-creek.com/products/sc ... zzard.html

They come in different sizes and matched my scope perfectly, front and back.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Iam using the BC black(non see-thru) on all my scopes. Don't like the clear lens. I have the size for the vari-zone , not sure if the SZ is the same? I use dial calipers to measure scope ends .
Cryon

Post by Cryon »

Shaftthrower what sizes did the varizones take?. I'm looking at the butler creek black and Bushwacker scope covers made by quake.
The eye piece of the shadow zone seems larger in size than the varizone I had compared mine too.

Has anyone in Canada ordered either of these scope cap brands online?

Thanks
Exocet 165
Vixen Deluxe
Shadow Zone
Ibex SMF
Boo Custom Strings
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
koko

Post by koko »

I have the old butler creek non- see thru caps on my rifle scopes. They work great. I have had them on my rifle for more than 30 years ( the same set). But they are made from a more rubbery material. The newer ones are made from a hard plastic and I have broke both of the non-see thru caps off of my varizone scope just by pushing the caps alittle past the stop when flipped up. Both lasted less then a month. That is why I went with the clear see thru caps. I don't want to flip them up, they break to easy.The plastic breaks right off at the hinge. This is just what has happened to me.
2010 Equinox
Boo string with cat whiskers
camo munchmount
Big John GT III arrows
with 100 grain 3 blade meat seekers
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Cryon wrote:Shaftthrower what sizes did the varizones take?. I'm looking at the butler creek black and Bushwacker scope covers made by quake.
The eye piece of the shadow zone seems larger in size than the varizone I had compared mine too.

Has anyone in Canada ordered either of these scope cap brands online?

Thanks
#10 eye #13 obj