Old eyes and cross hairs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gundog

Old eyes and cross hairs

Post by gundog »

My eye doctor told me I have Macular Degeration. It could stay the same or progress at a faster pace. To the point of loss of driving, no tv, reading etc. Forums would be out also no (excal forum). Retirement looks a little hazer now. Well I am opting for stay the same. My question is the scope hairs on my setup are wavey because of the Macular. My master eye has it the worse. Is there any one out there that has this battle and any tips to get a batter scope picture would be helpful. 8)
Conserve game hunt with a trained dog
SPITFIRE

Re: Old eyes and cross hairs

Post by SPITFIRE »

Sorry to here that gundog. It depends weather you have wet or dry macular. Wet can be treated, dry can not. Dry takes a lot longer to cause eye loss than wet. My wife has wet in one eye and dry in the other. It isn't good either way.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
GGC

Post by GGC »

Most scopes can be adjusted to focus the cross hairs. Turn the end of the scope nearest your eye until it gives you a crisper image. Some have a lock ring and others
don't. Hope that helps a bit.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Don`t know anything about the vision impairment . But a scope like the Shadowzone or Twilight both have the quick adjustment on the back . Which makes it alot easier to adjust without loosing the nitrogen purge inside . ie fogged scope
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Boo

Post by Boo »

You might want to check out the crosshairs on the 2X7 Leupold shotgun scope. They appear to be 3 to 3 times thicker than the Excalibur scope.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gundog

Post by gundog »

Thanks guys dry so far subject to change. Just snuck up on me. Thicker hairs never thought of that. A dot might be the deal also. What type of dot would the rageing masses suggest. The winter has been unreal. Might get out this weekend and throw some carbon sticks around.
Conserve game hunt with a trained dog
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

gundog, a post reticle might also be something to look into but i think i would try the red dot first.
Dash

Post by Dash »

I agree with boo about the leupold shotgun scope. Their leupold crossbow scope has the thinner line though.
There are a few scope manufacters that have very thick line recticle options . the Hawke MAP scope has the thickest recticle line I've used out of the crossbow scopes, only downside is that the 30-50 recticle lines are not adjustable.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

I can relate to old eyes. Hope your situation can/will be improved.

I have a Ultradot brand red dot type scope/sight on a Contender 7x30 handgun and like it. Just put the dot on your target and touch the trigger. The red dot can be adjusted for briteness and is easy to see even in very dim light. Of course with a cross bow you would have to experiment and learn hold over/under for sighting at various distances. Good luck.

Dave
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Sorry to hear about your eyes and will pray for better results for you.
Raymond