Not real happy, just picked up the Equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GGC

Re: Not real happy, just picked up the Equinox

Post by GGC »

The bottom lione is to stabilize the arrow. For a quick fix get quik fletch or shrink fletch with quik spin vanes. Problem solved or start putting your own vanes on. The stock vanes are your nemisis. Yes there are other variables but cut to the chase and do youself a favor with better vanes. Better offset or helical would also work. I have an equinox and vortex and have been in your shoes. If you have about 180 to 200 grains up front you're good to go for FOC, that is total weight of insert and broadhead. Hope that helps.
GGC

Post by GGC »

Should read "bottom line". Senior moment, what an excuse.
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

GGC wrote:The bottom lione is to stabilize the arrow. For a quick fix get quik fletch or shrink fletch with quik spin vanes. Problem solved or start putting your own vanes on. The stock vanes are your nemisis. Yes there are other variables but cut to the chase and do youself a favor with better vanes. Better offset or helical would also work. I have an equinox and vortex and have been in your shoes. If you have about 180 to 200 grains up front you're good to go for FOC, that is total weight of insert and broadhead. Hope that helps.
If I figured out the foc correctly it is 16.816.
GGC

Post by GGC »

FOC is important when shooting carbon arrows. 18 to 20 or so percent is less of a factor if your tail feathers are not working to their full potential.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

enormous wrote:OUCH!!!
I think Qweenbee was that last person here who posted photos of her thumb after being hit by the string.

Hmmmm I think I will design an X-Bow glove with thumb armor. I will make a fortune. :wink:
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

Athena1 wrote:
GGC wrote:The bottom lione is to stabilize the arrow. For a quick fix get quik fletch or shrink fletch with quik spin vanes. Problem solved or start putting your own vanes on. The stock vanes are your nemisis. Yes there are other variables but cut to the chase and do youself a favor with better vanes. Better offset or helical would also work. I have an equinox and vortex and have been in your shoes. If you have about 180 to 200 grains up front you're good to go for FOC, that is total weight of insert and broadhead. Hope that helps.
If I figured out the foc correctly it is 16.816.

Arrow Type BoltCutter 100 g. T.P. 150 g. T.P.

Firebolt 13.6% 8.7% 14.5%
2213 12.1% 8.9% 13.5%
2216 12.1% 7% 11.1%
2219 11.6% 11.6% 13.6%

I figured out that my FOC with my 20" GT III with 100gr head was 16.8, but I must have done that wrong because the Firebolt with that 150gr head only has 14.5, or am I reading that wrong???
Big John

Post by Big John »

Your bow is not shooting 350 fps. so you should be clicking the elevation dial down first until your speed dial is hitting around 335 to 340 max. IMO anyway.
So I would go back and set your speed dial to 330 then use your elevation dial on scope top to get bullseye at twenty, then move to forty and use proper
chevron, see where it hits. Then use speed dial to fine tune only.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

Big John wrote:Your bow is not shooting 350 fps. so you should be clicking the elevation dial down first until your speed dial is hitting around 335 to 340 max. IMO anyway.
So I would go back and set your speed dial to 330 then use your elevation dial on scope top to get bullseye at twenty, then move to forty and use proper
chevron, see where it hits. Then use speed dial to fine tune only.

Big John

See I did this I think. I zeroed it at 20 and then went to 40 and used the same crosshair to shoot at 40 then I tried matching my proper chevron up to that group. Someone told me to do this. But to get the proper chevron to match that group I have to turn the speed dial more than 350 to match it and I know I am not shooting that fast. I am right about what you said or less.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Differing view point. The speed settings on the zones are for reference only, rarely exactly match chrony. The zones are great hunting scopes but not so much for precise target work. At 40 yds, it's hard to pick out same target aim point, [w/2nd chevron]so user error becomes a factor.

The speed settings do not affect the crosshairs. All they really do is change the size of the field of view, crosshairs remain centered regardless of 250 or 350 setting and all points between.

The zones also have 1/2" per click at 20, I use electricians tape for a target. One strip horz and one vertical, work on one plane at a time.

Black duct tape works well [horz] at 40, using tip of chevron. The closer you get to being 'on' at all ranges, the smaller the adj's to speed ring you make will help.

They can be frustrating at times and sometimes just leap into place, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

Took Equinox back to store so he could check it out to see why my groups are not good at all. He found nothing, but asked if I want to try the Firebolts with the 150gr heads. I said ya why not.

Took these home and set up at 20 yds again and still no group.

My buddy right down the road just got and Equinox about a month ago and he called me to see if I wanted him to come up with his xbow and shoot my bolts through his xbow. I told him ya bring it up.

I shot the first GT out of his xbow then the second out of his xbow and ROBINHOOD! So it is not the shooter or the bolts and we also tried the Firebolts and still no group with my xbow.

So I called the store and told him what happened and he told me he just got off the phone with Dan and Dan said it may be the scope. So he is shipping another scope out.

What ever it may be I am just glad it is not me! My buddy even shot it several times and said WTF!!
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

awshucks wrote:Differing view point. The speed settings on the zones are for reference only, rarely exactly match chrony. The zones are great hunting scopes but not so much for precise target work. At 40 yds, it's hard to pick out same target aim point, [w/2nd chevron]so user error becomes a factor.

The speed settings do not affect the crosshairs. All they really do is change the size of the field of view, crosshairs remain centered regardless of 250 or 350 setting and all points between.

The zones also have 1/2" per click at 20, I use electricians tape for a target. One strip horz and one vertical, work on one plane at a time.

Black duct tape works well [horz] at 40, using tip of chevron. The closer you get to being 'on' at all ranges, the smaller the adj's to speed ring you make will help.

They can be frustrating at times and sometimes just leap into place, lol.
Dan makes an important point here. My scope is set up so that my aim point is the very tip of the chevron and I use that for my target practice POA. When I am hunting I put the appropriate chevron over the heart and let her rip.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
strum

Post by strum »

im bettin the scope fixes the problem and youll be busting arrows in no time. its a cool thing that they send you a new scope immediatly..most companies tell you to send it back to the factory ..wait and then wait and then wait some more.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Glad that you've apparently figured it out, hope it all works out for you.
"Eze 18:21"
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

strum wrote:im bettin the scope fixes the problem and youll be busting arrows in no time. its a cool thing that they send you a new scope immediatly..most companies tell you to send it back to the factory ..wait and then wait and then wait some more.

I sure hope your right.
Athena1

Post by Athena1 »

awshucks wrote:Glad that you've apparently figured it out, hope it all works out for you.

Thanks!