What is your opinion

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Close Up

What is your opinion

Post by Close Up »

Do to this early warm spell we are having right now , what do think this is going to do to the spring turkey hunt and opening day of trout season?
Shotnbeer

Re: What is your opinion

Post by Shotnbeer »

I figure the trout steams will be high and muddy from rain and the wood will be thick from spring growth where you can't see 15 feet in front of you.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Will definately hurt opening of trout season. They have been slaughtering them up here from shore all winter long. Wall to wall people most days and a ton of fish taken. Ice fishing hardly take any fish as not to many people like to venture on to ice till feb/march ussually.

Turkeys don't excite me, quit buying tags years ago.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Turkeys will likely be done breeding by then.
The woods will be thick.............with mosquitoes.
Get your repellent supply early.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

Well since Pa's turkey season is at least a month too late anyway,(May), this year should be really bad.
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Yup the bugs will be thick . After a day or two of constant buzzing only the commited or insane will be still hunting . :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

An extra warm spring like this has eliminated all the snow over here wayyyyyy earlier than normal, so I would think since there is less water in the woods there will be less bugs, no ??? less water = less breeding grounds. Will also be good for the farmers since last year it was so wet to plant many crops were planted late and many grew poorly.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Here in SW Ontario some ground has been broken already in areas of lighter soil.
I just hope this early warm-up will benefit the farming community.

For bug control I use thermacell products in combination with very light gloves and a head-net.
Be careful with the thermacell products. Do not use inside a ground blind or sit down wind.
The repellent is a pesticide.

I will use muskol products only if necessary.
They are too hard on plastics and camo paint so be careful.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

A Thermacell is the only thing I found that really works....and is a necessity here in NC. Last year on the opening day of archery season it was in the 90's.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
strum

Post by strum »

I hoping that this eary spring will cause the turks to breed early leaving the gobblers with out many partners...thats where i come in :D say ello to my leetle friend (mossburg) :lol: love is in the air
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I've been hearing the birds gobbling around here for a while and have heard of some guys already finding nests with eggs in them. :shock: Our season here in KY doesn't open up until April 14th, so it's either going to really suck or be really good. The birds may have gotten everything out of their system and be done by then or most of the hens will be on the nests and the gobblers will be looking for love. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

As for bugs, I spray all of my clothes down with Duranon, have a small bottle of 100% DEET Deep Woods OFF that I take with me for spot treatments, and have a Thermacell that stays running. :mrgreen:

Pydpiper did a topic back in 2010 about refilling the little butane bottles instead of having to buy new ones all the time. Here's a link to his original topic:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=33794

I found a video on YouTube where a guy drilled a hole in the bottom of of the bottle and installed a small check valve. I tried that and it worked like a charm..... for about 6 months. :x Then the valve started leaking. I've still got 1 with the check valve installed that's working, so I'm good for a little while. The next ones I do though, I'm going to drill out like Pydpiper suggests. :wink: Something else I found you can do to cut the cost down on running the Thermacell alot is to get on of the OFF Mosquito Coils, break up pieces of it, and put it through the little grate in on top of the insecticide mat. I keep the whole coil in a bag in my truck, but take a hand full of pieces in another baggie with me either in my turkey vest or backpack. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

Doe Master wrote:Yup the bugs will be thick . After a day or two of constant buzzing only the commited or insane will be still hunting . :shock: :lol:
Um I'll still be out...... what exactly are you trying to say......? :lol: :lol:
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
Close Up

Post by Close Up »

I think he is saying that ,he should be committed because he will be one of the insane one's out there till the last minute . And probable by June with all the bug bights be twice his normal size.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Yup guilty as charged . :lol: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Big58cal wrote:Pydpiper did a topic back in 2010 about refilling the little butane bottles instead of having to buy new ones all the time. Here's a link to his original topic:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=33794
For some reason I can't get the link to work.