O/T - .454 Casull

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

O/T - .454 Casull

Post by Big58cal »

Yeah, I know, I need help! I can't find a support group for Gun Buyers Annonymous though. :(

Back before Christmas I had to go to the Post Office one day, so after I got done I decided to run by the pawn shop where I get most of my guns since he's right there by the Post Office. I should have known better...... :roll: Went in and he had a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull in the case and had a decent price on it. Got it out and looked it over. It was "technically" used, but it wasn't used much at all. Everything was still tight, no wear, and the ring that develops on the cylinder when it's rolled was barely visible. The scope base is integrated into the top strap of the gun and the rings that come with it were still in the sealed package. I had been thinking of getting a .454 Casull, but definitly wanted a .45 Long Colt pistol. I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone with this beast! :wink: And of course the guy still had lay-away........ :? Normally, it's 15% he requires down, but where I do so much business with him, he let's me put down whatever. I put down $50 for him to hold it and paid a little on it every couple of weeks when I got paid. I've learned that when dealing with small businesses, the owners really value cash. :wink: Tax and everything, I walked out with the gun 2-3 weeks ago, paying less for it than what he had it originally marked. :wink: Not that I really needed it, but for what I paid for it, I couldn't hardly pass it up. If I ever did want to sell it, I could sell it for a profit.

Here's a picture of the same gun I lifted off of GunBroker. You folks up in Canada shut your eyes since it's a pistol. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Then the "troubling" part started. I never seemed to find the time to get to shoot the beast! :x Finally, this past weekend was our annual Hunter Education Workshop. These things are held at one of the state F&W operated Conservation Education Camps in the state. All of the camps have archery, rifle, shotgun, and pistol ranges. :wink: When I went down, I took the .454 Casull and a little .327 Federal Magnum that I carry concealed. I knew that at the very least I'd get to sling some lead after everything was over on Sunday.

Sure enough, Sunday afternoon after lunch, myself and a couple of buddies went down to the range to fire the beast. Tacked some targets up, loaded it up, fired my 6, and then as I was walking up to the target, I tore the remaining skin off the web of my hand that the pistol hadn't. :shock: Went to the truck and got a napkin to soak up the blood, a pair of gloves, and got a couple more napkins since the other 2 guys had yet to shoot the thing. :wink: The next guy that shot it has big ol' meaty gorilla hands. It didn't make him bleed, but a blister started forming on his hand. The last guy is kind of a little feller anyway. Right after he has squeezed off the first shot he said, "WOW!!!" :lol: He fired off the other 5 and then I handed him a napkin from where his hand was bleeding. :lol:

While we were down there, one of the F&W Hunter Training Officers came down there. This guy is retired Army, older than dirt, a crusty old cuss, but he lives, breathes, eats, and sleeps guns. He probably shoots more in a month than I do in a year. I showed him the pistol and asked him if he wanted to shoot it, telling him I had plenty of ammo if he did. He didn't want to have anything to do with the .454 Casull loads! :shock: :lol: He did have some .45 Colt ammo in his truck that he ran through the gun. He said it shot really well and really liked the gun. That meant a lot coming from him. :wink:

So after having shot that beast, a .44 mag is for wimps! :lol: :twisted: The dry weight on the gun (without a scope) is about 3.3 lbs. Even at that weight, it's a handful when it goes off! :shock: A 240 grain JHP bullet is running about 1,900 ft/sec at the muzzle and generates 1,923 ft/lbs of force. I can't wait until gun season this year!!! :twisted:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Boo

Re: O/T - .454 Casull

Post by Boo »

I've had a Freedom Arms in 454 and 44 for about 12(?) years. The 454 has literally flattened every Mule Deer I ever shot with it. That cyl gap has to be almost non-existent because of the activity when the bullet goes from the cylinder to the forcing cone. Even at that keep your hand away from that cyl gap area. Don't use a finger under the frame there because you might get a little hole in it. I've burned Gortex gloves from that!
Make sure you use gas checks and hard bullets.
You don't need a 45 long colt.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

There's no good reason for it to tear your hand like that. Either get some custom grips that properly fit your hand or else wear a shooting glove. Or do both, if necessary. You don't want to learn how to flinch, if you haven't already.

I shot a friend's 454 with factory loads and it does have a stiff recoil. However, it was very accurate, and not so uncomfortable as to require custom grips or shooting glove FOR MY HAND. The factory grip fit my hand nicely, but then, I'm an odd duck in so many respects.

The 454 Casull is a big step up from Dirty Harry's "44 Magnum, the most powerfull handgun in the world".It takes a back seat, however, to the custom handgun I fired, made by Linebaugh in 50 caliber. That pistol uses custom bullets, custom brass, and costs the price of a nice little car. However, it is shootable (best with shooting glove!!) and very accurate.

If I could carry a pistol here in Canada, I would be getting the Casull. I envy you . Congratulations on your purchase.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
ONEOFAKIND

Post by ONEOFAKIND »

I bought the SRH 454 last year. Have not hunted with it yet. Had a problem with the factory scope mounts kept coming loose. Put on a Jack Weigand mount with 3 rings . Shot couple hundred rounds, holding center. Also was told not to shoot 454s after shooting 45 long colts with out cleaning the cylinder first. It will cause the 454s to get stuck in the cylinder. Shoot the JHP MAGS because the jacket is thicker and will hold up with the high 1900 FPS. The regular jackets will separate from the bullet.
Exocet 200, Groundpounder mount, Lumizone, Ruger super redhawk 454 casull
sneak

Post by sneak »

Very nice! 8) I have the Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger with a 7.5" barrel. I think it is between the .44 mag. and the .454. It is plenty enough gun for me!
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Arrows
Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads
S5 Suppression System
Flemish Dyna Flight String
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

Beautiful. I have been looking for one of these at a good price for a while now, but no luck. You never know when a MO rhino may charge out of the bushes :D
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Darn nice gun!!! I have the Super Redhawk in .44 mag. Put a set of Hogue grips on it. They are built like tanks. If you run out of ammo you could always beat the heck out of whatever with the gun.
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Nice score there man!! I've never shot one but they sure are a beast. Nice!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Now you know why it looks like it hasn't been shot much. Dittoon the custom grips ( Hogue works for me). Shoot both a 45 Colt with ++P loads and a 45/70 Hand Cannon with 300 gr bullets. Latter is pretty much like the 454 in terms of punishment. Decided long ago to avoid extended shooting sessions with either to keep from developing a flinch. But they definitely will open eyes of the uninitiated :D Nice find.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Yeah, I plan on tinkering with it before gun season gets here. :wink: Gotta get a good set of shooting gloves, a good set of grips, and a scope for it to start with. Then I've got to find a load that I like. Just the way I am, I generally try to shoot the heaviest bullet I can find (provided they'll perform). I think the ones we were shooting Sunday were 260 grain Hornady. I'm going to try to find some up around 300 grain. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

i love the 454.but if you want a big bang get some cor-bon's in 300 gr.they will let you know what you have a hold of. six rounds and my hand was numb! you got to love that! :D
frisky

Post by frisky »

2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
CAPGUN

Post by CAPGUN »

Nice gun , Good for the kids to play with. Up here in Canada we like to shoot the .50 { fifty} Cal. guns an such. Some of the smaller men use the .454 for there weak hand . LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
If I was any better they would have to beat me sensless with an ugly stick
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Corbon or Cor-bon also makes some 360 grain flat nose bullets for the .454. It will keep the darn water buffalo and hippos out of the back yard. Man what one could do with that weapon. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/152449 ... -box-of-20 Everyone has to love the built in scope rings for this weapon supplied by Ruger. Don't skimp on a scope Big58cal the recoil will destroy a cheap arse scope. Talk about stopping a whitetail in their tracks. As my buddy would say helfare.
Last edited by EQUINOXHNTERVA on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
ONEOFAKIND

Post by ONEOFAKIND »

My first photo posted. Next is my avitar. This is my 454 with the Jack Weigand mountImage
Exocet 200, Groundpounder mount, Lumizone, Ruger super redhawk 454 casull