Staggered Vanes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

onebigskittle

Staggered Vanes

Post by onebigskittle »

Has anyone tryed placing one vane ahead of the other two vanes ? say 1/2 inch for blazers ? Its said to help some broadheads fly better. Could be use as the cock on crossbows.
Im thinking about doing a few with 3 inch Vanes.
See4miles

Re: Staggered Vanes

Post by See4miles »

I don't understand why you would want to??? I doubt you would see noticable improvements and if you fletch your arrows with an EZ Fletcher or something similar it would be very hard to do.

But, if you do this, please let us know your results....
In the Wind.......
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

More vanes will equal more drag, not to mention trying to get them in to the rail will be more than an engineering feat, impossible I would think.
If you are shooting mechanical or field-points vanes have little to do with anything.
I think a lot of guys bring traditional or vertical arrow thoughts in to crossbows, and the same rules simply do not apply. The short, fat crossbow arrows need a lot less attention then their long thin counterparts.
I have run a few hundred shots through my bow in the last few days playing with my camera for the upcoming turkey season, 2 out of 4 of my arrows have had a single vane tore off since last deer season, they fly exactly like the ones with the traditional 3 vanes.
Of course that would change when I switch to my fixed Slick Tricks, but for now, I am just as confident in 2 vanes as I am 3.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Pydpiper wrote:More vanes will equal more drag, not to mention trying to get them in to the rail will be more than an engineering feat, impossible I would think.
never said add more vanes ...what i asked was Has anyone tryed placing one vane ahead of the other two vanes ? say 1/2 inch for blazers

I will try it and post my findings soon
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I've read about staggered vanes somewhere else.
If I come across this topic I'll post what and where.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
CBRon

Post by CBRon »

This was big a couple years ago with vertical bows , fletch each vane 1/4 to 1/2 inch farther forward than the previous vane.. With short vanes it was supposed to act like longer vanes... Ron
VIXEN 2 , PHOENIX
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I misunderstood, sorry. There was a thread on this site about it a while back, a little less than a year ago.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Tried it with 2" Blazers, not enough difference to worth the bother.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!