20 Yard Grouping

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bill Gass

20 Yard Grouping

Post by Bill Gass »

Good Day

I am new to crossbows, purchasing my first earlier this year. I am trying to line up my crossbow. I have the Ibex (Aluminum rail) and shadowzone scope. What kind of grouping should I be expecting when shooting supported. I've made a few small adjustments and I'm just wondering how precise a CB should be. Right now most bolts are within a 4 inch circle at 20 yards.

Thanks
Bill G.
NB
ottawacats

Re: 20 Yard Grouping

Post by ottawacats »

Hello Bill,
Im sure you find many different answer to that question. I know as of yesturday my Ibex can shot groups of about 2" @ 20 yards. I know its possible to group better then that as I have tagged afew arrows but have yet to robinhood any. That is on a few sandbags as a rest not free hand. If I shot freehand I'm at about the 3" groupings on my target. This is shooting Firebolts with 150grain xcal broadheads.

Oh and welcome to the fourm and the best crossbow around.

Matt
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

HI BILL And Welcome

I just shot a 2" group at 55 yards That was My first group since last Dec. When I first got my bow I couldn't do that constantly , but after playing around with different things and shooting about 1000 arrows I can do it now. You will find out there are is lot of tweaking that most of the guys & gals do and that makes it fun . If you only hunt , 4" groups will kill a deer all day long. If you want more, your bow will give it to you. Use a cocking devise and follow your arrow though the scope until it hits the target. That sounds simple but a lot of people don't do that. Good luck and have fun!.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

first are you using the cocking aid?
Benching it should see better results than 4" but that could be a # of things breathing pulling the trigger instead of squeeze etc

Shoot one arrow over and over to see if it is consistent then go from there
Tenpoint Matrix
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

Welcome to the forum .... Practice shooting and have some fun doing it and be safe
P S
do not shoot at the same place twice look at my avatar
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
sneak

Post by sneak »

At 20 yards shooting with a rest I never shoot at the same spot twice!
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Arrows
Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads
S5 Suppression System
Flemish Dyna Flight String
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D :D
Let us know what your set up is ( arrow/fletching/broadhead or field tip/weight ) might be able to help you a little more. :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

Hey Bill, Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new Excal. I'm a newbie here too but in my short time shooting my Axiom I have found my grouping to get smaller with time. So, hang in there as it'll come to you.
Enjoy, Hoagy
wabi

Post by wabi »

Your Ibex should be capable of better than 2" groups at 20 yards, but there are a few things that can cause problems and open those groups up. Many of us get 1" or better groups at that range.

I suggest taking one arrow and shooting it several times for a "group". Shoot, mark where it hits, pull it & shoot it again. If that group is too big then look for other possible problems.

Some things to check are:
*The plastic "spacers" under the limbs where they mount to the riser. - sometimes the protrude far enough to hit the fletching. (fairly common problem)
-here's a pic (linked from another thread) of the spacers making contact with fletching - this can definitely hurt accuracy -

*Tiller - is the string "square" to the rail?

*Scope - the odds are low (1% according to Excal) but a few of them have been known to have problems. Sometimes switching scopes (even put on a plain good quality riflescope just for accuracy testing works fine) can quickly answer the question as to the scope's performance.
wabi
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

It would be nice to have some sort of sticky that neubs like myself could read that would give a list of things to look out for and check when there is accuracy issues, so we can eliminate one possibility and move on to the next. Some sort of checklist giving us a process of elimination.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome to the forum Bill. I cannot add anything else to all the good advice.
Raymond
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum. The other fellas have already said all there is to say so I'll just add happy hunting and safe shooting to you. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Dash

Post by Dash »

Hi Bill. Ive seen many people think that off a rest shooting is easy and you should be hole on hole all the time. Its not that simple, and I've seen many people shoot poorly using a rest. Anyone can shoot a bullseye once. But it takes practice and skill to replicate that many times in a row. Thats what you're looking for consistancy of all your shots.
Just like freehand shooting, every little thing you do will effect the shot. The grip on the rail, hand and arm position, pressure from stock to the shoulder, the way you pull/squeeze the trigger, anticipating the shot, your breathing etc. I've seen a few excellent shooters who all use different methods. Just take the time to experiment with all the variable factors and find out what method works best for you. Like anything lots of practice you will improve your shooting.
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

im getting 2 inch groups with an exomax at 60 with a bipod , using heavy foc bolts or arrows whatever ya wanna call them