Shot my new turkey choke

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Trx480Ryan

Shot my new turkey choke

Post by Trx480Ryan »

Here's my first attempt, 40 yards, winchester #5's 3'' with undertaker choke, i got the counts i need as per the page, i thought it would shoot a bit tighter however, its a start, not sure if i am shooting the best load out there, not sure who makes the best load, but it should do fine for anything under 40 yards i would think,

2011 Excalibur Equinox With Quiver and Varizone
Remington 870 With Camera Mount
Ruger 10/22 With Scope and See through Mounts
2004 Trx450r with a little work.
1995 Ranger with a little work.
houser52

Re: Shot my new turkey choke

Post by houser52 »

Looks like a good lead pattern to me. Dead turkey.
I spent a lot of time over at Old Gobbler forums this year trying to find a good recommended load/choke combo. For lead, the Winchester XX and Super are recommended and for no lead they prefer Hevi 3" - 2 oz. - #7 shot.
I bought both and am using the Hevi #7 with Winchester XX #6 as the lead load.
My Benelli choke is the .670 Pure Gold and my short 18" 870 has a .650 Sumtoy choke.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
Trx480Ryan

Post by Trx480Ryan »

I went with the HS Strutt Undertaker choke, as a friend of mine has had good luck with one, and i had him pick one up for me, and all they had at the local store was 2 3/4'' 1.5 oz load #4(copperplated winchester x) and 3'' 1.75oz #5 Hi-vel lead, just shot using a rem 870 12ga with the stock ribbed barrel with ball sight at the end,
2011 Excalibur Equinox With Quiver and Varizone
Remington 870 With Camera Mount
Ruger 10/22 With Scope and See through Mounts
2004 Trx450r with a little work.
1995 Ranger with a little work.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I'd say that's a dead turkey. It can get exspensive trying all the different turkey loads through a new choke. A neccessary evil though. Good luck hunting. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Constriction is very important along with the length of the barrel on a shotgun. Lead shells should pattern the best with a .660 constriction in 3 inch loads in a 12 gauge.

Hevi shot needs a more open choke and the constriction runs in a .665-.670 and allows the shot to exit with out deformity.

There seems to be a change in each shell you shoot to and its not as much the total count being higher rather then finding an average of shot count that your gun will do.

Remember #6 does not have as many shot in the hall as a #7 does so they won't even compete together. The #7 train has been running for sometime and everyone gets caught up in the DENCITY of how well or the best shot count your gun will get from the next guys gun. I've seen this on Ol Gobbler over the years and if you don't agree Shannon kicks you off the sight.

Here in Ontario we are stuck shooting 4 -5 -6 shot and as far as I'm concerned I have not seen a turkey at any distance that a #7 can kill it any better then a #6

It all boils down to Testing and spending money on different combo's to find the best you can if you want a pattern far above died because you can't get any dieder then died.

Some of us spent the money in all the testing and have narrowed down all the money spending to give advice to hunters to help them start off without the large expence as we have.

Tell me will this pattern not kill the bird the same at 40 yards as a #7 in the same situation ?

Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Morangus

Post by Morangus »

I have a Mossberg 835, 20" barrel. Based on some research I added a Rhino .695 and last year I shot my bird out at 40 yards no problem using Hevi-Shot... Deadly!
reaper

Post by reaper »

Hi there Give that barrel a good polishing, its worth the couple of hours you wont beleive the diff it makes. Ten or better pellets more in the ring would be :D go to 6's too. Adrian x2 on all your statements. Have a great save hunt Dave
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

i used hevy shot for years and then it got hard to find around here so i started using plane jane 2 and 3/4 number sixes last year.killed two last year and two this year without a problem.i use a remington turkey choke.give it a try you might like them also. i have bought my last high dollar turkey shell. :D
youngbuck1

Post by youngbuck1 »

this is 35 yrds 3" federal flight control carlson choketube #5s :) out of my winchester sxp black shadow
:D
Pro-staff for team gobblestalker
pro-staff at Turkey tuque
DUCKS UNLIMITED CANADA
Turkey callers of canada
http://www.gobblestalkercalls.com
type1 diabetic since 2003
mike schnarr :P