About to pull the trigger...............

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lswoody

About to pull the trigger...............

Post by lswoody »

on a first ever Excal!!!!! I know I've asked this before but if you were buying your first Excal what would you get????? Want something that I'll be happy with and not want to upgrade in 5-10 years. Note: this is not my first crossbow. Also I am really leaning towards the Exomax Brown Bear because of speed but kinda wonder if I ought to go with the Exocet or Phoenix or Axiom because of extended string life. Oh yeah, I like the way the traditional stock feels and it is very easy to flip the safety off. Thanks again for all replies and imput!!!!
Proverbs 3:5-6
gendoc

Re: About to pull the trigger...............

Post by gendoc »

why notta vortex... don't they still make'um ???
i been away tooo long ta know.
but i do know, that tha "tex" isa mighty fine excal iissmods !!! :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Nothing wrong with the 225 pounder's...just learn how to reserve. :D
In my opinion i think part of the equation in choosing your bow is not only what your hunting but your age & physical health, but the cranking aid can equal that out if need be. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Frogg

Post by Frogg »

I think georgiaboy has a good point, age and physical shape are key factors in deciding which Excalibur you choose. Cost is another factor, BUT get what you want and you will be happy. I am 65 and in reasonable shape, (I row 20 minutes every day and lift weights 3 times a week) I have looked at the Ibex and Vortex, worried that the Vortex may be too much for me in a few years. I think I will do the Vortex and worry about what I can or cannot do then. Besides they may have a new model out by then …….. another reason to buy something new.
sneak

Post by sneak »

Exocet would be a good choice! :D
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Arrows
Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads
S5 Suppression System
Flemish Dyna Flight String
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Go for it!! Get a MAX! I love mine and wouldnt take for it for hunting. Now, shooting a hundred rounds on a Saturday? The lower poundage bows are more comfortable to cock all day.But, go for it anyway! You'll love it.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Depends on what you're going to be hunting with it. If you're planning on going after elk, moose, or something big like that, then yeah, you may want to get the 225 lb, but if not, personally I'd get a 175 or 200. Before I got mine I was always of the opinion that more poundage was always better, so I got the 225 lb Equinox. :roll: If I had it to do over, I'd get a 175 lb Ibex. :wink: The 225 lb isn't any problem for me to cock, but for whitetails, I know now that it's overkill.

This is just my opinion though. :wink: Pick the bow that fits "YOU". With the different awray of stocks, rails, weights, and poundages of bows that Excalibur makes, you'll find one that you like. Once you find it, if it's a little more than you wanted to spend, save a little longer and go ahead and get it. Don't settle for something less than what you want, otherwise you'll never be happy with it. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
masboy

Post by masboy »

I agree with big58cal for his reasons I have a vortex an a equinox I gave my son and my next bow will be the vixen because it will do everything I want and more and will be a pleasure to shoot a lot like I do. picked one up at the bow shop and fell in love and will be my next bow. soon as I get one I will give my vortex to my other son.
strum

Post by strum »

am i correct in thinking you won a string and dont have a crossbow :shock: ..now thats funny right there
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I shoot a Phoenix, Vortex and a 360 fps compound, all three hit the same spot out using the respective reticule aiming point at 50 yards just by changing the scope magnification setting (speed ring). The fast bow wears a 3.5 X fixed, the Excals war LumiZpones. Point being, you don't need a heavy draw bow for accuracy. In fact, of the three I shoot the Phoenix (175) the most, easier to draw for my twice cut 72 yr old shoulders.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

The nice thing about these bows is that no matter what weight you decide on, you can always find other bows on here at reasonable prices to expand your collection and taylor the draw weight to the stuation. Deer, small game and target shooting a vixen/axiom may be perfect (light easy draw). Going for that bear/moose/rhino hunt of a lifetime, pack a exomax to drive it home.

I suppose you could trade up or down but you never know when a second (third, fourth, etc) bow could come in handy and they seem to hold their value well if you ever need to sell one :D
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
Walkin

Post by Walkin »

I'm very new to the world of crossbows; I have hunted with shotguns, rifles and compound bows in the past though; I also don't shoot 3D or particularly like to shoot a bunch of bolts through my Relayer Y25 either; to date I've shot less than 25 shots and I'm out spring bear hunting at present with full confidence on my point of impact up to 40 yards(sights are zeroed in there), I treat the crossbow more as a hunting tool than a shooting hobby; shooting like I do, I doubt that the serving on my crossbow will need much attention this year, but I could be wrong about that.

I'll tell you that cocking the crossbow after 25 shots feels MUCH easier and smoother than my first two times. Keep that in mind and don't judge the crossbow just by the first time you try and cock it. If you think of the crossbow as a hunting tool similiar to a rifle that you check the p.o.i. of before the season, than I can't see how the 225 lb draw would be any deterrent at all; even de-cocking my 200lb Y25 with the string cocking aid is a breeze, and I'm below average in physical strength for a typical man of my age.

The way that I read the Excalibur trajectory/arrow performance tables, it looks clear to me that a variance in arrow weight has much less affect on trajectory than draw weight; in other words a flatter and hence, less critical on the distance estimating, trajectory comes with the high draw weights.

Just my thoughts.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

strum wrote:am i correct in thinking you won a string and dont have a crossbow :shock: ..now thats funny right there
Gotta start somewhere I guess. Hold one end in each hand and pull the center back with your teeth? I gotta see pictures.
dsal

Post by dsal »

I personally went with the vortex, but really, any of the 175 pound crossbows will kill pritty much any north American big game we have. If you want to go higher poundage its just your personal choice. I wanted to try the thumb hole stock for a change and have no regrets. Just had to get adjust using the safety, but no big deal.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

Walkin wrote:

The way that I read the Excalibur trajectory/arrow performance tables, it looks clear to me that a variance in arrow weight has much less affect on trajectory than draw weight; in other words a flatter and hence, less critical on the distance estimating, trajectory comes with the high draw weights.

Just my thoughts.
now thatsa what i'm talk'n bout................... :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.