Got My Arrow Fletched & Ready To Go

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

Got My Arrow Fletched & Ready To Go

Post by Big58cal »

After tinkering with my bow over with winter, I'd been putting off getting it back out and resighting it in because I was going to start making up my own arrows. I used to "roll my own" back many moons ago when I shot vertical bows, but with all of the advancements, I needed to update all of my stuff. I've been slowly aquiring all of the pieces and parts needed. Got one of the Arizona EZ Fletch jigs for the Blazer vanes back in December, got a dozen GT Lazer II's in January, wraps, vanes, glue, points, grain scale, etc spaced out between February and a couple of weeks ago. Finally had a chance to put everything together yesterday. :twisted:

Don't know how they shoot yet, but if nothing else, they look cool! :lol: Got a little higher FOC than what I wanted though. These are sitting at 19.35% FOC with 125 grain points. I could back it off a little, but I'm planning on shooting 125 grain broadheads this fall, so I think I'll leave it. These I put aluminum inserts into the backs, but the hunting arrows I make will have Luminocks in them. The aluminum inserts weigh 20 grains, a Luminock I had laying around from a Firebolt weighed 30 grains. I think I read somewhere that the ones to fit the GT Lazer II's weigh 27 grains. Either way, that should lower the FOC a little off the 19.35% on the hunting arrows. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Limbs and Sticks

Re: Got My Arrow Fletched & Ready To Go

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I see Mindy hooked you up right with those wraps, if they came from one string, looking good

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Big58cal wrote:After tinkering with my bow over with winter, I'd been putting off getting it back out and resighting it in because I was going to start making up my own arrows. I used to "roll my own" back many moons ago when I shot vertical bows, but with all of the advancements, I needed to update all of my stuff. I've been slowly aquiring all of the pieces and parts needed. Got one of the Arizona EZ Fletch jigs for the Blazer vanes back in December, got a dozen GT Lazer II's in January, wraps, vanes, glue, points, grain scale, etc spaced out between February and a couple of weeks ago. Finally had a chance to put everything together yesterday. :twisted:

Don't know how they shoot yet, but if nothing else, they look cool! :lol: Got a little higher FOC than what I wanted though. These are sitting at 19.35% FOC with 125 grain points. I could back it off a little, but I'm planning on shooting 125 grain broadheads this fall, so I think I'll leave it. These I put aluminum inserts into the backs, but the hunting arrows I make will have Luminocks in them. The aluminum inserts weigh 20 grains, a Luminock I had laying around from a Firebolt weighed 30 grains. I think I read somewhere that the ones to fit the GT Lazer II's weigh 27 grains. Either way, that should lower the FOC a little off the 19.35% on the hunting arrows. :wink:
the arrows look awesome! wish i had the patience and talent to do my own. ........love the wraps!!
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Real nice job you did on those arrows. I love the just passin thru wraps!! Very nice. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:I see Mindy hooked you up right with those wraps, if they came from one string, looking good

Wes
Yep. :wink: I had been drooling over some of their designs for a while wanting to order them, but didn't see the need in it until I got closer to getting ready to assemble. Took a while to finally narrow things down as to the design. :?

Deaf jeff wrote:wish i had the patience and talent to do my own. ........love the wraps!!
Actually, it's not hard and doesn't require a lot a talent. Heck, if I can do it, anyone can! :lol: The hardest part was putting the wraps on, but that wasn't really hard. Peel the wrap, lay it on a flat surface, position the arrow next to the wrap with the ends as flush as you can get it (eye-balling it), get your shaft aligned with the edge of the wrap, and then roll. I rolled it about a 1/4 turn and then slowly worked it the rest of the way on with my fingers to keep out any air bubbles and such.

Thanks for the compliments folks! :D I'm rather proud of my first attempt at it with the wraps, Blazers, and EZ Fletch jig. :wink: The wife didn't seem to share my enthusiasm though. :roll: :lol: :lol:

It's supposed to storm this afternoon, so it's looking like tomorrow before I'll get to see how they shoot. :cry:

Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Mark,
Them there are just beautiful. The only thing that would make them prettier would if I was shooting them there arrowsa, :P :) . They look great. You done a great job on them. Congratulations now we want to see some blood on them, :) . Thanks for showing us they are nice arrows.
Thanks,
Raymond
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Just curious...why the wraps? They look cool, but when I shoot quickspin/quickfletchs (the ones with the shrink wrap) out of my Vortex I get a little bit of that "wrap" left on the rail.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

nchunterkw wrote:Just curious...why the wraps? They look cool, but when I shoot quickspin/quickfletchs (the ones with the shrink wrap) out of my Vortex I get a little bit of that "wrap" left on the rail.
Greater visibility...... and they look cool. :wink: :lol:

Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Big58cal wrote:After tinkering with my bow over with winter, I'd been putting off getting it back out and resighting it in because I was going to start making up my own arrows. I used to "roll my own" back many moons ago when I shot vertical bows, but with all of the advancements, I needed to update all of my stuff. I've been slowly aquiring all of the pieces and parts needed. Got one of the Arizona EZ Fletch jigs for the Blazer vanes back in December, got a dozen GT Lazer II's in January, wraps, vanes, glue, points, grain scale, etc spaced out between February and a couple of weeks ago. Finally had a chance to put everything together yesterday. :twisted:

Well done buddy.
TFS
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Very nice really eye catching, do it to it my friend!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Thanks folks! :D Still haven't had a chance to shoot the things yet. :( I'm hoping this weekend. :wink:

Michael.stogre

Post by Michael.stogre »

Nothing wrong with that FOC. Read Dr. Ed. Ashby's
2008 Study update, Part 6 for some interesting
facts and observations. For example: "Earlier testing...has shown that from 19% FOC upwards
there is a measurable gain in arrow penetration."

MJS
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Nice arrows! I agree w/ the above post on higher FOC.......
"Eze 18:21"
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I was shooting for around a 15% or so FOC. The 19% to me just seems a little high. :? This fall I'm going to fletch up another dozen for hunting and will use the same components, with the exception of adding Luminocks in the back. That will add an addition 7-10 grains to the back. That will bring it down a bit from the 19.35% but probably not much.

Still haven't gotten to shoot the things yet! :x :x Got out of work early yesterday, but had to start getting the garden in the ground. Worked on that until dark. Got up this morning and started on the garden again until my boss came out to the house. He brought his daughter out her to the house for me to teach her how to shoot some "real" guns. She's in JROTC in high school, but they only let them shoot pellet guns and was interested in shooting something with a little more power. :wink:

4 hours later, I got done with them and started back in on the garden. Finished up on the garden just as it started raining. :x Hopefully sometime this week I'll get to see how well these beasts fly! :D

awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You'll barely be able to tell the diff in 15% and 19% FOC. What will show up is in your bheads.

I was a fan of higher FOC's until I shot a Boo arrow while he was here. It was fletched w/ newer AZ-EZ 'Bolt' setup. My Slick hit 1" high at 30 yds. It had 2" blazers.

I don't know what arrow it was, but it hadn't a brass insert.
"Eze 18:21"