Paint

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Paint

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I am in need of some help to find some High Heat Resistant Black Paint. Hopefully some Flat Black Paint it is easier to hide some blemishes with it. Hopefully in Canada. Better yet in Nova Scotia. Tremclad and Rustoleom only has their largest sizes up to quart cans. I am figuring it would be much cheaper to either buy by the gallons or a five gallon bucket. I have seen some gallons of paint in the USA but by the time the shipping by UPS gets added, the shipping is as much as the cost of the gallon of paint and then there will most likely be other charges on top of that. So that is a bust. Any other ideas folks. What about the automotive industry do they have anything in the high heat resistant paints in the body shops?
Thanks,
Raymond
dsal

Re: Paint

Post by dsal »

Could try looking into heat paint for wood stoves. Auto paint for engines also. Question is what will the shipping cost you? Check local body shops or stove retailers. I'm sure they be able to get sum from their suppliers. May save you on shipping.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

There is a store that deals with stoves, I will try them and the auto body shops in the area tomorrow. There has to be something I can buy more local. I had an idea of doing that tomorrow, today was a slow day for me.
Thanks,
Raymond
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

maybe BBQ paint
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I just found a possible line on a paint called Rustoleum. It is sold by a few different stores in Nova Scotia. Closest one is a drive of 2.5 hrs but I do have a connection there. It is a Home Depot Store. I searched and searched and always before with Rustoleum it was a quart or a spray can. I found the direct home page and it sent me in the right direction. I will find out this morning if it is going to be a good connection. I f not I will go to see the body shop at Tusket Ford.
Thanks,
Raymond
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

You need a high heat paint, for like chimney paint or BBQ paint. Even a high heat manifold car paint. If you have a Kerr Smart Energy near by you, go talk to them. If they won't sell it to you I will get a phone call or fax sent out and they will then. Let me know if you do. But a 5 gallon jug will cost alot more than the whole smoker cost you.

But if you build it right you will be able to rent it out to recoup some money and perhaps some day make some money with it. I rent pig roaster every year for our motorcycle show and shine and it costs me $100. a weekend.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I think you will find that any heat resistant automotive high temp paint normally requires heat to set up.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Raymond:
You will have to remove all the old paint first and get down to bare metal.
Then prime as well for good adhesion.
Paint goes a long way and some need a primer and some don't.
A good primer will cost as much or more than the paint however you will end up using less paint.
I would buy a liter at a time as this will save the amount of paint you will have left over.

If you are going to spray paint then you will need a thinner as well.
HIH
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

You may also check into some paints meant for barn roofs. I don't know how hot a metal barn roof gets during the summer, but I do know that it's hot enough that you don't want to be near one! :shock:

It may turn out that the paint isn't high temp enough, but still, you don't know until you check into it. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Raymond you can get high heat paint in spray cans, this is what is use on my wood stove, like said look in to wood or coal burning stoves they should know.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wabi

Post by wabi »

Would "stove black" work??????
wabi
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Ray I welded a free standing fireplace for my brother 2 years ago I used Tremclad flat black spray paint I have also used it on commercial boilers as well
But I am not sure about it being compatible with food
hope this helps

Joe :D :D :D
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I have found the Tremclad Paint but only by the quart, if I buy 4 quarts they will sell it to me for $17 a quart which is equal to $68 plus tax. I found an industrial grade Rustoleum paint sold by the gallon which is cheaper than the Tremclad. I can buy that for $42 a gallon plus tax which is $29.90 cheaper. I will have to check into both of those.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Cool. Good deal. It will stick good to metal. Did you tell them it is going on a wood fired smoker and ask what's the warrenty on that?
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

wheelie wrote:Cool. Good deal. It will stick good to metal. Did you tell them it is going on a wood fired smoker and ask what's the warrenty on that?
No but I will ask them that question. Thanks Kevin.
Raymond