long distance practice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

masboy

long distance practice

Post by masboy »

I been doing some 80 yd shooting an learning a lot about trigger control and follow thru and it,s making me a better shot. you don,t get by with anything at that yardage . my poi was always different from the sandbags and when sitting with the bow shooting over my knee like I shoot most of the time.but like said by others on here there's is the same and now mine is too with better follow thru and trigger control.I guess your never too old too learn.I learned a long time ago with a compound that practicing at long range made me a much better shot and I also like too shoot at small targets and group much better than shooting at something like a pie plate. too bad them deer don,t have little dots on them .
rayman

Re: long distance practice

Post by rayman »

Since the old days of going to verticle bow 3D shoots on Saturdays and watching guys shoot as well at ranges over 50 yards as what I would shoot at 30 yards, I've had great respect for those who practice and shoot well at long ranges. Seems I never have time anymore to practice more than the basic of shots. Leading up to season, I practice heavy at 20 yards, some at other ranges, and then try to set up my stands so that I will likely get a 20 yard shot. Then try to wait for the shot I want.

Was into target shooting my 270 BAR at 200 yards for a while as part of trying to overcome a bad flinching problem. That's not very far for some guys, but it was for me at the time. Also shot for accuracy at shorter ranges, like trying to hit the same hole and so forth. It definitely forced me to learn better methods and highten my concentration. Also forced me to do other things like figure out what ammo shot the best and clean my rifle more often.

Great thread, thanks.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

rayman wrote:. Also forced me to do other things like figure out what ammo shot the best and clean my rifle more often.

I used to be anal about cleaning my firearms until I realized some of my rifles like to be a bit dirty and some like to be clean. I only now clean a barrel when it is no longer shooting good groups.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

There are a 100 theorys on barrel cleaning if you ask a 100 shooters. LOL.
I'm a trigger and glass man. You can take an average weapon of any type, (i.e. crossbow, or rifle), put a good trigger and scope on it and make it extraordinary in a lot of instances and absolutely better than it was in all instances. JMO.
In the Wind.......