That's a Wrap for Ontario Turkey Season 2012

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DirtyGun

That's a Wrap for Ontario Turkey Season 2012

Post by DirtyGun »

With forecasts of 5km winds, sunny skies and time to kill on the morning of May 14th, I headed out to a property close to my in-law's place where I hadn't been so far this season, but had scouted frequently before the season due to the landowner's insistence that my father-in-law and I do our best to take a couple birds this Spring, as they have been a bit of a nuisance due to their numbers lately.

As I walked to where I wanted to set up at 4:45am, everything was quiet...dead quiet. There was no wind, so every footstep into last season's corn stubble sounded like a bomb going off. I set my bobblehead hen decoy on the edge of a wheat field, leading into a freshly groomed field, where I knew the birds were coming due to my father-in-law's road scouting efforts the past week or so.

As the sun came up...nothing. Absolutely nothing. No gobbles...no hen talk...just the songbirds singing away. Lack of turkey chatter is always frustrating to turkey hunters and many get up and leave, thinking that no birds are in the area. On this morning, scouting ahead of the season paid off. I knew the birds were there and since Dad had seen them recently, I was going to wait them out and see if they'd come to where they had been seen.

Soft purrs and clucks were all I used. At around 7:00am, a lone hen entered the field, stretched out her wings and began to give herself a dust bath. Using some soft voice box calling, I was able to entice her to come within 40 yards of me, where she was more than happy to dust herself, peck around and give me some entertainment while I waited for one of her boyfriends to show up.

She was milling around the same spot for around 15 minutes and I was paying so much attention to her that I didn't even see three jakes come out 40 yards to my left and mill around my hen decoy. I caught movement in my peripheral vision and that's when I saw them...three targets acquired.

I hemmed and hawed about taking a jake to close the season, but, remembered the instructions from the landowner...and that made the decision easy. I put the reticle of my Leupold turkey scope on the head of the larger of the three jakes, waited for him to separate himself from the others and sent a load of Hevi Shot #6s his way to drop him where he stood and end my season.

Not a bad size jake:

17lbs
6" beard
1/4" spurs

He would have made a great 2-year-old next year, but, after dropping by the farmhouse after the hunt and sharing a coffee, a high five and one of the jake's breasts with the landowner, I once again have permission shored up for next year.

Good luck to all who are still heading out to try and bag their first or second!

How many days until turkey season 2013? :mrgreen:
MADMAX2

Re: That's a Wrap for Ontario Turkey Season 2012

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!! A nice bird & happy land owner is a great combo!!
The best things in life are not things!!
rayman

Post by rayman »

Sounds like you were Johny-on-the-spot and played it out right. I've left my decoy after an hour or so of nothing, eased around a while, and came back to get the decoy only to find a tom strutting around it. One of my decoys has a skinned up head because I left it in place once and when I got back it was leaning over and all skinned up. I NEVER leave a decoy standing anymore, and almost always pre-scout a good spot and stay in the set-up until late morning.

To me, turkey hunting is like deer hunting. Its about the hunt, the experience, and all that goes with it, not just about waiting for a new record trophy.
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

Congrats on a Fine Bird, and a Great Story!!!!!!!!!!
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

People have got to remember they are hunting for a gobbler not just the gobble .
Congrats once again :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats on another nice turkey DirtyGun. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads