Ooops, I did it, anyone else?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Roadrunnr72

Ooops, I did it, anyone else?

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

No, not the dry fire question, but ya, I have done that too. Within a week of getting my bow. I have a Phoenix. I bought mine about two and a half years ago, and just found this forum. Was doing some other research and found this forum mentioned on another. So far, I am enjoying it, and have learned some too.
So back to the title question, yesterday I was shooting, went to draw the bow back with the cocking rope, got about half way up and found out what happens when you don't have your foot completely in the foot stirup. The bow comes flying up at you. LOL, lucky I saw it coming and moved out of the way.

Out shooting today at 20yrds. Shot 1 bolt then aimed at that one with the follow up shots. Came about as close as you can to "Robinhooding" without actually doing so. I heard the second bolt when it hit the first, after closer inspection I can see where I had nicked it once before, but this time, it it did a pretty good job on the nock, and the carbon bolt has a few splinters. Guess from now on, I won't be aiming at the nocks :mrgreen:
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Ont_Excal

Re: Ooops, I did it, anyone else?

Post by Ont_Excal »

The costs can add up pretty quickly.
Make sure you inspect the front of the arrow doing the nicking.
Carbons will splinter from both ends. Aluminum arrows are less susceptible to damage at the front end on a robin hood.
At one time our group here would hunt each others nocks for fun but not now with the accuracy of these bows.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Glad to hear no one got hurt and you're still having fun! :D :D :D

I prefer to wear my sturdy steel shanked hiking boots if I'm cocking my bow repeatedly, like for 3D. Makes it much easier and more secure.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Normous

Post by Normous »

A guy at my local shop told me his son recieved a bloody nose and chipped tooth by not planting his foot firmly. That must have hurt right down to his gut.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I'm a member in good standing of the dry fire club...but the butt stock in the chin club i can wait on! :mrgreen: Sounds painful :shock:
Might want to hold off nock shootin with an excal...gets expensive. :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Boo

!

Post by Boo »

That one always scares me. :shock: I put my foot well past the balls of my toes and I still stare at the bow like it owes me money! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I had a stirrup break when cocking the bow in a tree stand (no ground support), that didn't feel good. Also, after several direct hits, a near robin hood cost me a bow. Overlooked a nick in a plastic nock (one of my pre-excal bows :D ), arrow shattered upon firing; there were bow parts scattered all over my back yard. :( Lessons learned: No more 'shooting for groups,' check arrows for cracks regularly and particularly if hit by another, no plastic nocks.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome to the forum friend. Glad you were not hurt. You will learn fast not to shoot at the same place twice, :) .
Raymond
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

i have poked holes in my fletching on two arrows before at 40 yards ,i dont shoot at the same spots anymore.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Oh man! I can see how that would be very painful. Glad you didn't knock out any teeth. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Glad to have you on the forum Roadrunnr72. I had my foot slip out of the stirrup a couple of years ago while cocking. :shock: It's not fun! I was out after a rain and wearing sneakers. Wet rubber and steel don't mix well, especially if you don't have your foot all the way in the stirrup. :x Bruised the crap out of my arm and gave me a pretty good punch in the chest.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

I was lucky and wasn't at full draw when it slipped. It still came up to about chin hieght, and if I hadn't felt it starting to slip, I may not have gotten out of the way.

Thanks for the welcomes, glad to be a forum member, and look forward to reading many post here.
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals