I am one proud dad today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

redmandant

I am one proud dad today

Post by redmandant »

Well this season started with high expectations. Bird #'s are good in my area, my properties are holding birds. I got them patterned pretty good, and best of all my oldest son just got his license and would be an apprentice hunter this year. He has been going out with me for several years but having just turned 12 it was time to put the gun in his hands.

We went out opening morning and chased around 9 elusive Toms all morning before finally giving in to the hunger and heading for breakfast. Over the spring we went out numerous times always seeing birds but never quite sealing the deal. The days he would stay at home, I would go out and scout new areas and 3 times had birds in range, but when he came out, they just would not commit.

Then last week we finally had it all come together but unfortunately he missed. I was heartbroken for him and worried how he would deal with it. He was in the dumps but I explained that if it was easy, everyone would do it.

Well this morning, our 10th morning up and out at 4:30am, our last morning it finally worked. We went in early to a corner of a field that I set up on 7 Toms 2 days before with a new hunter but never got a shot.

Dawn breaks and my heart becomes heavy as we don't hear a single gobble. 2 days ago i was serenaded by at least 30 gobbles on the roost. At 6am we are treated to a lone hen that wanders out 300yds away and my subtle calling lures our live decoy into about 60yds before she has enough and walks out of the field. I was happy to see her because I knew that the Toms would not show till 7am or so and it helped pass the time for 20mins. At 7am I reached to pick up the boat paddle call and got busted by a hen at 20' the first chirp I made. 7:30 comes and we have to start making our way out because Matt had placement tests today at school. I slowly peek out into the field before going out to retrieve our decoy and spot a redhead coming right down the field edge about 50yds away. I was so proud as Matt got reset with the gun up at the ready and after a loooong 5 min wait, Mr. Turkey pops out at 10' in front of Matts Barrel. I whisper as loud as I dared.Kill Him and KABOOM!!!! The poor buggers head met a swarm of 20ga heavy shot #6's and Matts first bird is down without so much as a flop or funky chicken

I let out a hoot to wake the world, he hunted so hard for this bird. He put the heartbreaking miss behind him and was able to put it all together and make his ol man so proud.

He is already talking about deer hunting and how he wants his first deer to be with a bow, to which I am sure he will be more than prepared. But before that I tell him he has one final thing to do.... The Victory Walk....

Words can not describe the feelings I have right now. I am so proud of my boy and the man he is becoming. This is truly a moment that I will remember and cherish for the rest of my days.

Thanks for listening.

Proud Poppa RED
I know I can't spell but does it look like I CAIR!!!!!
VixChix

Re: I am one proud dad today

Post by VixChix »

What a great post! BIG CONGRATS to your son... and to you for taking him out.

The memory of that hunt with his Dad will last a lifetime, as will the lesson of dusting off and getting back in the game after his miss. Good on you both!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Congrats, great story and pics!
"Eze 18:21"
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

congrats to your son.I am sure he is hooked now. I started deer hunting when I was about his age but didn't get into turkey hunting until I was 40. I love deer hunting but I tell people all the time, if I could only pick one,turkey hunting would win hands down. Nothing like getting a big tom strutting and spitting at 25 yds. It's buck fever times 3. It's good to see young kids taking an interest in the outdoors.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

Congrats to the Young Man on a Great Bird!!!!!!!!!!!
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

A big CONGRATULATIONS to him (and you)!
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Kid stories are ALWAYS the best stories, congrats to your boy, and a big congrats to Dad too.
Those are the smiles that last a lifetime.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
goosesmasher

Post by goosesmasher »

I love stories like this one!! Congrats to the both of you for sticking it out till the end and getting it done!

Goose smasher
maple

Post by maple »

Don't that just wanna make you jump up and down!!!

Congratulations to a fine team.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Great story, and his smile says it all !!!
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

Congratulations redmandant to you and your son. I know the feeling well, when your children do well you too get to share in the spoils. Enjoy them because you deserve it for taking the time and effort to spend time in the outdoors with your children. So now go and do the chest pound of a proud father.

Randy, The Birddog.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

That's good stuff :wink:
A big congrats to your son & to you!! :D :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Way to go guys,this is a not A secret IT ONLY GETS BETTER, Kudos to you dad and good shooting young fell'a

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Congrats to the young man who has now became a man. Congrats to you dad for raising and teaching your son. Great hunt so many great memories to remember there.
Thanks,
Raymond
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrta's !! .... Beauty bird ! ... Awsome pic's and story !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "