Hello From a Newbie

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bayman1975

Hello From a Newbie

Post by bayman1975 »

Hello, my name is D.A. Davis. I am a 55 year old longtime traditional archer and amateur bowyer from NE Arkansas. I'm a husband of 35 years, father to two daughters, and grandfather to four grandsons. I've been involved in archery since 1977 when I bought a Bear Whitetail Hunter from the local Walmart and started bowhunting. I joined the local bowhunting club, and started shooting tournaments when I wasn't hunting. I took up the traditional bow in the mid-80's after battling a severe case of target panic (I'm sure none of you have ever had to deal with that, huh?) for the past couple of years. I fell in love with the longbow, eventually learned to build a couple bows, which were hybrid longbows. However, I'm forced to give up my passion due to deteriorating shoulders (2 surgeries on one, and needing surgery on the other) and failing eyesite. I have decided to join the ranks of the crossbow hunters of the world, and continue to enjoy my time in the woods chasing whitetails, and whatever else might take my fancy. I've been researching the crossbow industry heavily for the past few months searching for the right bow for me. And, I've found it. The Excalibur crossbow is exactly what I'm looking for. The recurve limbs, and the flemish strings, which I can free-hand make. The simplicity and durability of the bow is what I'm looking for. I haven't purchased my bow yet, but will at the end of the month with my incentive bonus (quickly before the wife can find something to spend it on).

But, I need to clear the air about my past affiliations. There was a time when I was against the introduction of the crossbow in the archery season here in Arkansas. Not really that I was against it, I was in the position to not be for it, so to speak. Here is a post from another forum where I got involved in the continuing drama surrounding the crossbow hunting across the country. I hope you can see the position I was in, and accept the fact that I am not an elitest in any form, and believe hunting in whatever form is worth fighting for, and most definitely passing on to the next generations that follow us. Here is what I have to say:

I'd like to make a comment on the crossbow issue that for some reason continues to strive across the country. I was there in the beginning of the crossbow issue. We, Arkansas, was one of the first two, if not the first, states to legalize crossbows statewide for hunting. I don't remember the exact year, but it was in the early 1980's. I was president of a local bowhunters association and was involve in the fight against crossbows. I, myself, was neither for nor against crossbows, but as an officer of the Northeast Arkansas Bowhunters Association, I represented the opinions of the group as a whole. I stood in front of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, as well as other groups across the state, and urge them to stop the crossbow epidemic spreading across our state and country. I sat there and listened to argument after argument on the issue. Some even escalated in to physical confrontations where punches were thrown, and people had to be separated. In the end, the crossbow was legalized for hunting for the whole state of Arkansas during the entire five month archery season we enjoy. Before that, there was a two week season held in parts of two counties in the north part of the state because a local group had requested it, and their season was scheduled during the state gun season. Unfortunately, the crossbow fight is still going on across the state in some form, or fashion.

Like I said, I was neither for nor against the crossbow. I've always had a "live and let live" attitude. The whole idea of deer management in Arkansas is to allow for the maximum amount of recreational use of the state's whitetail herd without damaging the resource. Did the crossbow send us skittering over the top of damaging our resource? No. Did the crossbow cause wounded, or gut-shot deer to be found scattered across the ridges and bottoms of Arkansas? No. Did the crossbow cause the success numbers, or kill ratios, to suddenly inflate to some ridiculous number? No. Did the crossbow put more hunters in the woods? Yes, but is that necessarily a bad thing? We as hunters are a small group compared to the non-hunters across the country. The time will come when we will all have to stand together as one to fight for the survival of our sport.

I've only shot a crossbow a couple of times, once back in the early 1980's, just to see what the all the commotion was about. I didn't shoot it off-hand. I shot it off a rest while kneeling. I put three arrows into a quarter size smiley face at thirty yards. It was easy to shoot, but it was like walking around with a loaded handgernade, if you kept it cocked. I saw that it had advantages, but it also had disadvantages. I recently had one in my workroom that belongs to my best friend. He traded for it, and I went through it, clean it up, put a little camo on it, mounted a red dot scope on it, and got it ready for him to hunt with. I shot it like I did the last time; three arrows off of a prop at thirty yards, with the same results; three arrows in a quarter sized spot. My buddy had the same results when he shot it the first time.

In summary, the battle over the crossbow is going to continue for a long time. If your state is just now planning on starting a crossbow season, then plan on the argument continuing for many, many years to come. The crossbow did not hurt Arkansas' deer herd. It did not shorten seasons. It did not inflate the numbers. It did introduce more hunters to early and late season hunting. It did allow younger hunters to hunt with adult supervision and become successful. All of which, helped the local economy as hunters bought equipment, supplies, food, gas, and lodging to pursue their sport. The elitist’s will continue to be elitist’s. The average hunter is going to continue to find a way to get into the woods, no matter what equipment he has to carry.

I place myself before you searching for acceptance by this group of dedicated, and knowledable shooters and hunters of the crossbow mystique.

D.A. Davis
Bay, Arkansas
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.
Normous

Re: Hello From a Newbie

Post by Normous »

You are most certainly welcome here Mr. Davis. I'm sure you will make frinds here. We have some characters here from Arkansas as you will soon see.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Bayman it sounds to me that you got here the hard way, I personnaly welcome you to the forum, You will find a multable group of knowlageable, members
on this forum, not to mention helpfull /careing/ genorus/and understanding
down to earth good people. Once again Bayman Welcome :D

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome to this forum friend, and congratulations like many have said there is a great group of people here willing to be friends and answer any questions you have. Make this your own home also.
Raymond
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Welcome from 15 miles out of Mena! I have a Phoenix and a Y-25 [Exocet] c'mon down and we'll shoot a few!
"Eze 18:21"
bayman1975

Post by bayman1975 »

Thanks guys. I've studied on it pretty hard, and of course I'm wanting to get the most for my dollars. Hey, I'm a State employee. My bonus won't be that big. Even though it's a left over 2011, I'm going to go with one of the Exomax Brown Bear packages that are out there. Probably the Shadowzone package at American Archery. If I decide I can't live with the plain brown, I'll probably dip it myself and camo it with something like NatGear or Pedator Brown Deception. Anyway, it'll be the end of the month before anything happens.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

before you put your hard earned money on the table be sure to check with Danny Miller at HORIZONTAL ARCHERY- 740-483-2312 in Sardis OH. As you will soon discover,he is a legend on this sight. One phone call and I knew I had the right person to handle all of my archery needs.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum bayman!!! :D :D
You will find no ill will here, we welcome everybody. :wink:
This forum is full of good people willing to help with advice & support.
Some of us came to the dark side willingly, some for medical reason's and some kicking & screaming! :mrgreen: But we all have a common bond...a love for the outdoors and a deep respect for the animals we hunt.
If ya got questions fire away...someone will chime in. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D welcome aboard. you have made a great choice of getting an excalibur, which one you pick, you will really enjoy it.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Trapman

Post by Trapman »

Welcome!

That was some first post.

It would take me all day to type that many words. :D
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

Welcome welcome welcome,,,,,, I am a recent member to this forum, but have owned my X Cal for a few years. I had wanted an X-bow since I was a kid, but they were not legal to hunt with in VA. I couldn't justify spending the money on it, and not being able to hunt with it. So I went the compound bow route. Finally several years back, the state legalized X-bows. I was not one of the many that ran out and bought one. Then one season, my shoulder was hurting during the early season, and only got out twice, I decided then , that I wanted an X-bow, but which? Then I was up late one night, and "Spirit of the Wild" was on. Ted Nugent was using the E Cal and and did a review, I knew then that I wanted one. Never looked at another X-bow. I sold my compound (a Parker) to help pay for it. Nice decision on the E-Cal, now you just need to figure out which one will fill your needs.
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
strum

Post by strum »

Interesting post Bayman ..welcome to the forum.
I never told these guys for fear of being shot :D but there was a time i snubbed my nose at crossbows..never got into any public arguments just had a personale dislike for em..
I got transformed!! Now i like em all :lol: cept maybe a few brands i wont mention 8) i wouldnt wont to horton anyones feelings :lol: dang my spelling needs some work barnett i mean darnit
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

strum wrote:Interesting post Bayman ..welcome to the forum.
I never told these guys for fear of being shot :D but there was a time i snubbed my nose at crossbows..never got into any public arguments just had a personale dislike for em..
I got transformed!! Now i like em all :lol: cept maybe a few brands i wont mention 8) i wouldnt wont to horton anyones feelings :lol: dang my spelling needs some work barnett i mean darnit
Too Good Strum :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. see what I mean Bayman :wink:

Dave :roll:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
lswoody

Post by lswoody »

Welcome to the Excal forum!!! I too at one time wasagainst hunting with a crossbow, but a bum shoulder changed my mind. I originally wanted an Excal but i settled for another brand for lack of funds to get an Excal. But i just bought a Phoenix and could not be happier. Whatever Excal you get i know you will be happy!!!! Good huntin!!!!
Proverbs 3:5-6
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum. Lotsa good folks here. Happy hunting and safe shooting to you. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads