Deer Targets

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Deer Targets

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I have the Excalibur bag target, I bought that back in 2008 when I bought my first crossbow the Phoenix, It was getting to the point that there has been pass through's and sometimes the arrows were buried in the bag and also up to the vanes after a year and a little more of shooting. I have the 18-1 Rinehart target, it is an awesome target and is still in really good shape because my shooting has been limit due to some illnesses, but am looking forward to doing some shooting this summer as long as everything goes well. Someday I would like to be able to purchase a deer target, it definitely won't be anytime soon that's for sure. But my questions is, do they stand up well enough to the crossbows to bother owning one? And if so, what is the best one when shooting at them with a crossbow? Here in Nova Scotia crossbows are just becoming established within the last 4 years so there is still a lot off questions and answers that I do not know and others like me.
Thanks,
Raymond
maine hunter

Re: Deer Targets

Post by maine hunter »

hi raymond, i have a big buck shooter, and i really like it. it is held in the ground with 2 rebar, the legs have holes in them and they slip over them when you hammer the rebar in the ground. it only cost 90 bucks new. i have alot of shots in it. you can buy the replacement core or 30 bucks. but the arrows pull out hard. blame that on the hard hitting excal.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

I had the same problem with my bag target, even with a vertical bow. I just "fluff" the bag every so often to move the insides around. Still holding up strong, even with the X-cal hitting it. As for a deer target, can't really help you there. I used to have one years ago, but it was pretty worn with just the vert bow, then the dog decided it would make a better chew toy. I will have to watch this thread, and maybe buy another 3D target.

On the 18 n 1, how hard is it to remove the bolts?
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

[quote="Roadrunnr72"
On the 18 n 1, how hard is it to remove the bolts?[/quote]

I found when I first started using it, the arrows were hard to pull out. I have a set of Danny Miller Arrow Pullers now and I would suggest buying a set of those to everyone. They work real well, arrows pull out easy with those. I might suggest some arrow lube called Arrow Snot also, works really well buy applying some along the first inch of the shaft, not very much it goes a long ways.
Raymond
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I have the Rinehart Rhino block which is made of the same material and I have no issue's pulling out my bolts, I do not even need my Miller pliars, and with a little of that snot they really pull out easy.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Dbl. Post. :oops:
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I use a paper life-sizer deer picture pasted to cardboard and stood in front of my bag target. Cost $4.00. Works here.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... LoBEPICMAM
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!