Some Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rej

Some Questions

Post by rej »

Hi all, first time on here and new Excalibur owner. Got myself a Votex with Shadow Zone kit. No regrets. Easy to assemble and sight in. Shot it for a while then got a Flemish string and cheek piece along with Boltcutters. Again no problems. I have a few questions.

I will go out in -15 or -20 to hunt. Is this too cold for the limbs, string etc.? How much kinetic energy do you loose using a mechanical broadhead? I like the idea of a double rifle case for transport. When limbs are remounted will POI change? These bows are very precision made and I cannot feel any movement when the assembly is backed in tight.

Learning lots of things reading on here so thanks for helping out a newb.
awshucks

Re: Some Questions

Post by awshucks »

X2 on what Hank told ya and,
How much kinetic energy do you loose using a mechanical broadhead?
I've never seen this asked here before [6 yrs]. You have plenty of KE, so don't worry about it............

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!
"Eze 18:21"
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on your vortex & welcome to the forum!! :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Congrats and welcome.
Raymond
bryman021

Post by bryman021 »

welcome to the best forum on the web!

I have taken the riser and limbs off the stock on my Ibex twice and my POI didn't change at all, or if it did it wasn't enough to be noticeable to me. The Excal's are so well built that your limbs and riser will mount right back to where they were. If you do take it down to transport I would just be sure to take a few practice shots before hunting, but I think you will find that it will still be hitting the same spot.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Vortex.
Happy hunting and safe shooting. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
rej

Post by rej »

Thank you all for the info and the greetings. Learned the difference between riser and limbs. Took the riser assembly off a couple times and saw no difference in POI. I find the cheek rest works well for lining up head to scope. Now that the Flemish string is stretched in and set right all I can say is WOW. The accuracy is remarkable. With a little practice I started clustering tight on the bull at 50 yd so now I use a different center for each shot. Arrows are kind of pricey. I was going to get a Phoenix originally. Being comfortably past three score in years I was concerned about being able to draw a 200 lb. bow. The cocking aid makes it easy. I am in the country so can practice all I want(yes I am waxing the serving) and having a lot of fun. Elk season is not that far away and I have no hesitation about taking a shot at one with this stringed cannon. Thanks again for the pointers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

OK lets talk n yak abit. Taking Riser assembly off n on won't change string brace ht. So nada change brace ht so no change in impact point of aim unless you change arrow weight! Welcome to the Forum & Excals crossbows
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmerHD

Post by crazyfarmerHD »

for travel you could take the riser and all off.. then just pop it back on

it will be fine and welcome here
aka crazyfarmer
Deer Whisperer
custom cowwackerz
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I would notwant to sacrifice any KE when going for elk. With an Excal, using a fixed blade is no problem. I would suggest a 2" blazer or fusion vane fletched with an Arizone EZ fletch Bolt fletcher. Should stabliize anything you want to shoot. You might want to consider the Motec heads (I like the CS), or the traditional Muzzy 3 or 4 blade.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Either (quality) fixed or mechanical heads like Slick Tricks mag or Spitfire Pro have more that triple the minimum kinetic energy recommended for deer and will give you passthroughs on elk at reasonable distances with your Vortex. An arrow weighing around 450 grs total will give you reasonable kinetic energy while retaining a flatter trajectory desirable for the longer shots. Shooting just such a rig with my Vortex I can easily hit an elk-heart-sized object at 50 yards.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
rej

Post by rej »

Thanks for the comments. with these and lots of reading on here learning plenty. one thing I quickly saw a lot of on here was the word "Boo". Went to his site and learned a ton so here is my plan and I welcome advice. I will do his polishing procedure as it is straight forward. Going to use an S5 kit with his mods and measurments. Have a couple ideas to reduce sound and maybe an enhancement to his S5 mod. I want to fine tune the Vortex. I will contine with standard firebolt and boltcutters as a constant. Do not yet have enough experience for the many offerings out there and I think ya get that by making them and doing a lot of shooting. Leaving the Excalibur Flemish string on and when I wear it out time for a Boo string and experimenting with bolt configuration. Having a lot of fun with this bow and awaiting hunting time.
rej

Post by rej »

Ooops! Just realized I was referring to STS, no S5 in last posting.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Welcome to the forum rej . Have had good luck with Magnus Snuffer 125 grain BH and Wasp Boss 4 blade . For mechanicals have used rocket Sidewinder and hammerhead . ( used Nap Spitfire when they first came out as a 2 blade with good results )
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

You might want to do a Google search on Swhacker broadheads - specifically for some Youtube videos showing tests of many mechanicals vs that head. I've not shot the Swhacker (yet) but the video is quite revealing on some other popular heads. I've had trouble with Rage 2 blades out of a Horton Legend on a big deer at very close range (10 yards maybe). KE was definately over 60 ft lbs but terminal performance was horrible. With the accuracy,consistency, and stability I get with my Excal, I see no reason to ever shoot mechanicals again. I tight group with fixed blades = well tuned (and well flying) arrows. The same cannot always be said of a tight group with a mechanical. My 2 cents.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><