Question on Boltcutter Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

6x6elk

Question on Boltcutter Broadheads

Post by 6x6elk »

I am new to the Excaliber Crossbows. I have a Vortex that I bought 5 months ago and wondering what Broadheads have worked best for Deer Hunting with your Excaliber Bows. I see that the Boltcutter is the Broadhead that Excaliber sells,but my concern is the small cutting diameter, compared to other Broadheads. I know the smaller diameter will reduce planing with a fast bow, and give better accuracy, but what kind of on game performance have you seen over the years? So far I really like the accuracy of the Vortex, but won't get a chance to hunt with it till October. Thanks for the help.
Dash

Re: Question on Boltcutter Broadheads

Post by Dash »

Welcome,
They don't seem so big, but with good shot placement they'll drop anything. I prefer heavier broadheads and this is one of the few available in the heavier range.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

What arrows do you have? The Boltcutters [150 gr] are better suited to the Firebolts than the GT L II's [brass insert]
"Eze 18:21"
goosesmasher

Post by goosesmasher »

I'm far from an expert but I did shoot four deer with the boltcutters last fall with excellent results. All were pass through's and none went more then 100 yards. The broadheads were all still intact and undamaged and the blood trails were easy to follow.They shot to the same point of impact as my field points too so thats a bonus. I was using firebolts shot from my exomax.

Goose smasher
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

If you want a good B.H. with a bigger cutting area and good flight/ groups check out slick tricks I shoot the 175 grain with aluminum inserts and love them they are strong,and have preformed great on deer.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
6x6elk

Post by 6x6elk »

Thanks for the replys, I am going to give the Bolt Cutters a try this Fall.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

i just got my boltcutters today in the mail. i bought 6 of them. i put 4 on my arrows with lumenoks on. and the other 2 are for the targets.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

There has been a lot of game posted on this forum that has fell to a boltcutter bh, they get it done

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

i bought a six pack last year one deer a two turkeys later.and i don't think i will have to buy broad heads any more just blades. :lol: