Expandables for Excal?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

masboy

Re: Expandables for Excal?

Post by masboy »

with most broadheads today I think most all fly good on the right arrow and fletching combination and will do the job if placed where it should be. they all have blades just some small and some large . so I would just pick one I like and shoots well and go hunting! them mx3 muzzys shoot great from my vortex with my arrow combo but so do all other heads I,ve shot be it fixed or expandable.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Gamikatsu wrote:The rage 2 blade shoots dang well out of my vortex. Fly great.

x2!!
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Am new to xbow hunting and have not shot anything with my equinox yet. I have however shot several hundred bolts at my target and can say with confidence that the Swhacker head flies just like my field points.Shooting from a bench-rest I put 6 out of 6 Swhacker shots in the bullseye of my Rinehart target. Can't get much better than that, IMHO.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

i'ma nuther spitfire owner !!! 125gr 3-blade 1.5" cutting diameter.
they seem to fly just like my fp's. and do wonders on whitetail.....
jus wish they wud do'a TWANG-FLOP !!!! this ol'fella here hasa hard time
blood-trail'n in bama swamp crawlin brush :shock:
but i won't quit til there hang'n high in tha cooler-house :mrgreen:
kan't wait :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
wayne

Post by wayne »

I spent way to much money last year testing many brands of broadheads with the wifes & mine excal's, nothing specal in the testing, just how they flew, how durable when shot though different things, 1/4ing shots, how soon the blades opened on impact (if they opened every time upon hitting or if they opened in flight) and how much fuss they needed to be used, etc, etc.
For us it was the excal's X-act B/H's & the biggest test of all they did a number on the wifes buck last fall on a not so perfect hit.
But every person is different, kind'da why there is so many B/H out there.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Glad to hear about your results, x-acts is what I will be using for my first crossbow hunt this Sept.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

I use Excaliburs mechs
deadly accurate
i have shot 2 does
worked flawlessly
crazyfarmerHD

Post by crazyfarmerHD »

that new rage 2.3 inch cut looks insane!!! They have a chisel tip one out this year also which ill be using
aka crazyfarmer
Deer Whisperer
custom cowwackerz
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like the Rage is mighty popular and more importantly it works with the Spitfire close behind. My main concern with mechs and my experience with Jakhammers is what happens when it's not a perfect broadside shot? I've punched through more than a couple of shoulders that I wasn't aiming for. I am concerned with blades breaking before they do their job. But I think enough deer are killed each year with them that it's not a major concern. However along that line which model of Slick Tricks do you use? TC
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I won't buy any more Rage 3-blade heads because I didn't find them durable enough to re-use. Considering their cost, I would at least like to get the occasional chance to let one fly a second time. I found Spitfires to be very durable. I won't fault the Rage 3-balde for its effectiveness though. I haven't hit a deer with one yet that went more than 40 yards. For those that only take one or two shots a season, the price of a broadhead may not be an issue. I've spent $100 a season on them before not counting the arrows so durability and price do factor into my choice.

My current broadhead of choice is the Rocket Sidewinder 100gr with a 1.5" cut. It is banded closed so premature opening is not an issue and the chisel tip sticks far enough in front of the blades that it won't deflect on steep quartering shots. The best part is I can normally get a pack for $25 on eBay. The Rocket Hammerhead offers a 2" cut, but the tip is much closer to the blades. Steep quartering shots should be avoided with a Hammerhead for fear that a blade could impact before the tip. But when you hit them with a Hammerhead, WOW. The Hammerhead is appropriately named.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: