wanted: the truth about 2" vanes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

wanted: the truth about 2" vanes

Post by jody5252 »

ok xbow gurus considering switching to 2" vanes, i use magnus stinger heads (125 gr.) was thinking about switching to the 2" using the arizona ez fletch? is it worth my time and effort? don't fix what is not broken? what got this started was, i want to start using arrow raps, so i can see my arrow in flight. any info will be appreciated. i already use white, yellow, orange, 4" vanes. still cannot see the arrow going...
Last edited by jody5252 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Boo

Re: wanted: the truth about 2" vanes

Post by Boo »

jody5252 wrote:ok xbow gurus considering switching to 2" vanes, i use magnus stinger heads (125 gr.) was thinking about switching to the 2" using the arizona ez fletch? is it worth my time and effort? don't fix what is not broken? what got this started was, i want to start using arrow raps, so i can see my arrow in flight. any info will be appreciated
Wraps will not help you see your arrow in flight. Brighter fletchings will. If you are looking for a better fletching tool look at the Arizona Easy Fletch Bolt. It puts lots of off-set and is shorter/easier to use.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

I see that you use Easton tracer nocks, do they not improve seeing your arrow flight?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Wraps will not help you see your arrow in flight. Brighter fletchings will. If you are looking for a better fletching tool look at the Arizona Easy Fletch Bolt. It puts lots of off-set and is shorter/easier to use.
That's my answer. I've found the Blazers shoot better, esp w/ the 'Bolt' fletcher.
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

2" vanes fletched right n tight tuff to beat even in this Heat, later Gator A/C is callin my name
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
masboy

Post by masboy »

I shoot the 2 inch blazers fletched on a Arizona bolt and Magnus stingers and on the right arrow they shoot as good as any I,ve shot.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I know the 2''vanes shoot very well, but I 've gone to the 2'' rayzr feathers, may want to give a look see.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I shoot 2" blazers with onestringer white arrow wraps. The blazers helped to make my slicks shoot to poi of my fieldtips.
Can't say the wraps helped me with arrow flight...but it's a hell of a lot easier finding them after i put one through a critter. :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

You can't beat Blazers. No gimmicks, just great flight from the arrows they get glued too.

Bohning makes a special jig called the Tower especially for the Blazer. It has a very aggressive offset for the shorter vane. AZ EZ Fletcher also has one (as was stated) with a very aggressive helix. To get the most out of these shorter vanes, whatever one you decide on, you should invest in a jig made for the shorties to get the best performance you can from them.
In the Wind.......
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Blazers seem to do the job for me , very durable - have blasted 1 arrow thru different 3d targets more times than I can remember and the vanes are still in good shape . Had put them on with Bliz jig but is near impossible to get a lot of helix on the vanes . Switched to the Arizona easy bolt . Does a good job fast and there is plenty of curve in the vane .

Have been using Blazers since they 1st came out - have been using Magnus Snuffer 125 grain broadheads for a few years now. With Blazers ,the snuffers and a 2216 aluminum arrow ( or a Beman Thunderbolt ) My Exocet 200 and Relayer Y25 will hit a golf ball at 35 yards consistently. for me this combination is hard to beat .
wabi

Post by wabi »

Already a lot of good answers and I agree with the 2" blazers and a LOT of helical being a good thing.
I tried Slick Tricks on several different arrows (alum & carbon) but they would no group with field points for me. Tried switching to an 8º helical on my arrows and the Slicks grouped right with field points!

The advantage of 2" blazers for a crossbow is that the short length allows a lot of helical without rubbing the slot in the rail. 5" vanes will not clear at 8º, and 4" vanes are so tight they could cause problems.
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I've found with the right set up you don't need a lot of helical, most problem's start with bh's, you can shoot a raw shaft with fp and nock pretty straight, a lot of helical makes it spin faster, noisier and slows the arrow down a little, it's fun to test and you learn for your self what works .

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

enormous wrote:I see that you use Easton tracer nocks, do they not improve seeing your arrow flight?
yes... on my hunting arrows only. to expensive but for all of my arrows... $10-$11 a piece... thank you. also, want to be able to see without tracers...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Short vanes work best for me on high FOC arrows - like 18-20%-and short 4 bladed heads like Slick Tricks. Have been using Blazers in my Excalibur bows, on GT Laz II. However, the old version scraped the bottom of the groove in my Cyclone.
(I understand they have changed most recently made ones). I use 3" Fusion vanes in that bow. I see no difference in POI with same arrows that are fletched with 2" Blazers of Fusion vanes. Both are quality vanes and tough as nails.
I too USE the AZ Bolt jig. Fast, inexpensive and more precise than the other two sets of arms I have for it made for longer vanes. Does a very nice helical in no time flat. You can buy the arms only for around $15. if you already have the jig.
BTW, do yourself a favor and try the Gorilla brand cyanoacrylate (super glue, blue top bottle). It's latex fortified so don't crack, and, being a runny gel, is easy to apply.. Has a re closeable tip too...that actually works. Compared it to 5 or 6 bow brand glues, works better at less than 1/2 the price.
Best luck
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
crazyfarmerHD

Post by crazyfarmerHD »

blazers are the best;) I just used a 3-4degree offset on mine and they seemed to fly great. To much offset could cause issues in flight.

wraps dont help you see the arrow in flight, they just help you find it after wards. Plus I use my wraps to sorta guage how good the hit was based on blood.
aka crazyfarmer
Deer Whisperer
custom cowwackerz