Women in the Outdoors... with Crossbows!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Women in the Outdoors... with Crossbows!

Post by VixChix »

The NWTF held their Women in the Outdoors event near Aylmer this past weekend: http://nwtfcanada.ca/news/?page_id=111

Participants could attend many fun and educational events over the course of the weekend. TPM & I had the opportunity to share our love of crossbows with several groups of great ladies.

Set up and waiting for the women to arrive:

Kath had suggested some hunting shooting set-ups so Jason supplied a blind for us and we brought some turkey gear as well:

Looking back toward East Elgin Sportsmans Assn's brand new club house:

The first ladies begin to arrive:

Although not all were able to cock the bows on their own, many were pleased to discover they could it themselves:

The ladies had no end of questions:

"What do you do if you're in the woods alone and shoot a deer?"
"How do you gut a deer?"
"Can you hunt with the pink camo Vixen?" :D
"How much is the crossbow going to kick when I shoot it?"
"Does the arrow get stuck in the deer?"

Often women really do want to know everything before they try something new!

Even those who had previous crossbow experience enjoyed shooting.
Our forum's own FireArrow in the foreground:

The morning group with the buffalo they "killed" (fortunately we didn't have to serve it for supper! :lol: )

It was great watching ladies shoot the bow for the first time. Some were apprehensive at first, but once they pulled the trigger they had a great big grin on their face. There is something immensely satisfying about launching an arrow from a crossbow! :D

Of course all the shooting works up an appetite! This is just a portion of the hungry and thirsty women lined up for lunch:

It was a very hot day and this group brought their own chairs so they could hang out in the shade - smart!:

They went through a lot of water bottles in the afternoon!

I love this woman's t-shirt!

Among the raffle prizes for the weekend was an Excalibur Axion SMF - all day people told us that THEY were going to win that bow! :D

Those who know me, know that I get excited about anything that gets women into shooting sports and into the woods. The Women in the Outdoors event is WONDERFUL opportunity for women to enjoy new experiences in a safe & very FUN setting.

Kudos to the organizers for running event, and to Excalibur for being such strong supporters!

Thanks to Kath, Jason and Ken for giving us the opportunity to be involved!
Last edited by VixChix on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Normous

Re: Women in the Outdoors... with Crossbows!

Post by Normous »

I just called Patti over to look, we both think your weekend was Super Cool! Thanks Vix for being a Excalibur Spokeswoman.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
subneural

Post by subneural »

Great job Vix! Thanks for sharing the photos. My wife is beginning to show interest, so hopefully she will find her way to next years' event.
Boo-strung, GroundPounded and Varizoned Phoenix, sold.
PSE Brute X pushing Easton Flatlines topped with Rage 3-blades.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

It's great to see more ladies' events like this out there! There was a one-day all-ladies event at Elmira Rod & Gun this weekend too, and I think the Georgian Bay WOW had one up near Midland as well.

I wish these had been around 20+ yrs ago when I moved from the west and had no idea of how to carry on hunting in S. Ontario. These events are great!

It was also cool to see groups of sisters and mother & daughter groups attend! What a way to make memories together! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
lscha

Post by lscha »

What a great ambassador Excalibur has in you! I hope this is just a start. Can't think of anything 'funner'!! :D
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Looks like a good time had by all!!! :D :D
Good on ya Vix for helping blaze the trail for women in the out doors. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
TPM

Post by TPM »

I've heard rumours that VixChix and lsha are going to be holding "Men With Pink Nails In The Outdoors" crossbow clinics at BooFest this summer.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

TPM wrote:I've heard rumours that VixChix and lsha are going to be holding "Men With Pink Nails In The Outdoors" crossbow clinics at BooFest this summer.
Wont we all look like the strangest bunch with PANK nails and little bitty boot prints on our backsides!lol
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

VixChix wrote:It's great to see more ladies' events like this out there! There was a one-day all-ladies event at Elmira Rod & Gun this weekend too, and I think the Georgian Bay WOW had one up near Midland as well.

I wish these had been around 20+ yrs ago when I moved from the west and had no idea of how to carry on hunting in S. Ontario. These events are great!

It was also cool to see groups of sisters and mother & daughter groups attend! What a way to make memories together! :D
I have to agree with you VixChix. Saturday was a great day for Women of the Outdoors and everyone involved with shooting sports.

I had the opportunity to introduce crossbows to approximately 30 women at the Elmira Rod & Gun event Saturday.

http://www.facebook.com/elmirarodandgun
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Outstanding Vix!! Great pics and it looks like the event was a huge success! Great job. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
doublelung911

Post by doublelung911 »

Excellent job Vix!! It's people like you that make the outdoor community great!!
Keep smiling :D
DL911
They're there if you can get em'
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Bowster wrote: I had the opportunity to introduce crossbows to approximately 30 women at the Elmira Rod & Gun event Saturday.

http://www.facebook.com/elmirarodandgun
You got to go to the Elmira one! AWESOME!!!!! Great to hear it was a forum member! I'm sure those ladies at Elmira had a BLAST!

Guys - one of the things I really love about THIS forum is the incredible amount of support for getting women and youngsters involved. Over the years I've run into plenty of guys who told me that women shouldn't be hunting - but NEVER on this forum!

You Excalibur men have my respect & appreciation for how you treat women in this special spot in the web!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Great job MO, you do us all proud, :) Men-Women-Boys-girls-Young and Old, Will benifit from your efforts. :D

You go girl :wink:

Dave :D
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
TB

Post by TB »

VixChix A lady from work was at the event and was just telling us about it. She had a great time and she says she Loooooves big guns (she sure has the bruises to show for it ) She won the trap shoot. Two hours of shooting for somone who had never held a gun before I'm impressed. I asked her if she'd go again. Of course I would, but next time she wants to try the crossbow. I believe you met her at the end when you were packing the bows up. She might be converted.

Tim
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Tim - I met her! She was looking for Kath. :oops:

And by-the-way Tim, sorry for shooting your buck! :wink: :D