Best Target For Broadhead Practice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

budman

Best Target For Broadhead Practice

Post by budman »

Any suggestions at to the best target for broadhead practice? My bolts with broadheads are sailing through my Morrell crossbow target. The target is fairly new with not a lot of use on it, I'm practicing at 20 yards, max range in my back yard. My bow is a Vortex with the factory string shooting 150 gr Boltcutters. My old bag target will stop them, but it is a pain dragging/untangling the broadhead back out of the twisted mesh inside the bag. I'd prefer some type of foam target, however I'm not concerned with replicating hunting situations with a deer target. Any suggestions?
Boo

Re: Best Target For Broadhead Practice

Post by Boo »

These are top of my list http://www.rinehart3d.com/products/
The Block family of targets are good.
http://www.blocktarget.com/Products/Block-Black.php
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i use the rinehart 18-1 for bh. i shot a ton of bh out of for over a year. just about ready to get another bob
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

the rinehart will stop them with no problem,but you better have one of Danny Miller's arrow pullers to get them out.The bolts are almost welded into the self sealing foam.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have the 18n1 Rineheart and it will stop an 2216 arrow with a magnus snuffer from 5 feet away ( shot from my Y25 relayer ) . Have had no trouble removing broadheads from this target.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Just trashed a 7yr old block last yr, got a block fushion good to pull bh's out, fp's sometimes a little tight, if this one last as long I'm about 1200.00 to the good, never owned a rineheart so can't say. there are old post on this topic

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

I shoot my sharp sticks into a block black crossbow target. stops them dead... not 4-6" in. even with broadheads. this is with my vortex shooting 325 fps. g5 montecs slice up the outer layer of foam pretty bad. when the outer foam is desetroyed i will tape paper over it until the risk of pass throughs become a reality. i am 95% impressed with the block black. i don't like how destroyed the outer foam face gets tore up but it happens i guess. not a rinehart self healing but pretty good.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

UPSMAN wrote:the rinehart will stop them with no problem,but you better have one of Danny Miller's arrow pullers to get them out.The bolts are almost welded into the self sealing foam.
Strange, I have no problem pulling out field points or broad heads from my Rinehart Block , infact the broadheads come out easier than the field points.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Walkin

Post by Walkin »

I'll tell ya what I do; whether because it's a cheap alternative or just habit over the years but I use two square hay bales.

There is always someone around close to town who is selling hay bales so I just pick up a couple of them and set them up somewhere either out on public land or at my sisters place because she has the distance for shooting on her property. When they get pretty shot up it's just another trip to the farmer and 5 bucks later I'll have a new one; they last really well thought.

I shoot a 575 grain arrow at 200 lb. draw so what I do is set up the bales on end, one directly in front of the other, with at least a 12 inch gap between them. The arrow will pass clean thru the first and be half buried in the second.

Cheap, at any rate.
wayne

Post by wayne »

Started with one of those crossbow block target for $99.00 for me I found it to be a waste of money, just did not last if you shoot alot.
Bought a Rineheart, & feel it's the best target for us, it's still going strong, found it to be very durable.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Rinehart 18-1 my opinion.
Raymond