BOWSTRING QUESTION

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BUD-FIELDS

BOWSTRING QUESTION

Post by BUD-FIELDS »

Hello Friends..

I am currently shooting an EXCALIBUR PHOENIX and I LOVE IT... It has enabled me to continue archery hunting after a number of injuries and corrective surgeries made shooting a "verticle" bow extremely painful.

I am needing to replace the original bowstring but I cannot remember if it is a "flemished" bowstring or exactly which string I ordered. How can I tell the difference?? The string looks be be two colors... a greenish tan.

Is one string better than the other as far as durability and shooting performance??

THANK YOU..
Bud Fields
Indiana
Boo

Re: BOWSTRING QUESTION

Post by Boo »

BUD-FIELDS wrote:Hello Friends..

I am currently shooting an EXCALIBUR PHOENIX and I LOVE IT... It has enabled me to continue archery hunting after a number of injuries and corrective surgeries made shooting a "verticle" bow extremely painful.

I am needing to replace the original bowstring but I cannot remember if it is a "flemished" bowstring or exactly which string I ordered. How can I tell the difference?? The string looks be be two colors... a greenish tan.

Is one string better than the other as far as durability and shooting performance??

THANK YOU..
Bud Fields
Indiana
This is the original string.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/catalo ... el_strings

Call Danny Miller at 740 483 2312 and buy a few of the. He's the guy that makes them.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
crazyfarmerHD

Post by crazyfarmerHD »

one thing about these bows is the ease to change a string... contact Danny

you may want to look at custom strings while you switching to something new also
aka crazyfarmer
Deer Whisperer
custom cowwackerz
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

Bud,

If the ends of your string look like they are woven and about 1-1/2” back from the ends of the strings you have a “fuzzy-wuzzy”, you have a Fast Flight String.

If the ends of your string look like they are wrapped with serving, you have a Standard Excalibur String.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

BUD-FIELDS wrote:Hello Friends..

THANK YOU..
Bud Fields
Indiana

Weren't you here once before :?: A writer of sorts I could be wrong.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
BUD-FIELDS

Post by BUD-FIELDS »

THANKS for your suggestions fellas... I just looked at the bowstring again and it appears to be served completely around the end loops and down approximately 3" and of course, it is served in the center...

I looked at a "flemished" string and those appear NOT to be wrapped around the end loops so I will assume mkine is NOT a "flemished" bowstring.

Sad thing is I used to make bowstrings back in my "recurve and compound days" YEARS AGO but would NOT attempt making one for a crossbow..

I might contact one of the people that has been referred to me. I am NOT opposed to getting a custom made bowstring as long as it is DURABLE and QUALITY made..

It is certainly GREAT to be able to talk with people here about questions... Some of the other forums actually "ran me out of town" for mentioning crossbows..

GOOD SHOOTING and SAFE HUNTING..
Bud Fields
Galveston, Indiana
willhunting

Post by willhunting »

After maybe few hundreds shots with Equinox, I can say the Flemish string looks like to keep better serving than the Excel.
Matrix 380 camo!!!!!
Excal Vixen black !!
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The Flemish string will be 10-15 FPS FASTER - using the same arrow - than the Excel string that you're using.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Dash

Post by Dash »

Both strings will do the job. But Flemish is far stronger around the loops by design. For example a 30 strand flemish has 30 loop strands. A 30 strand excel string only has 15 strands around the loop. Plus they look cool 8) :lol:
willhunting

Post by willhunting »

With my Equinox, I fund the Flemish string is louder and have more vibration on the bow than the original (excel). What about yours?
Matrix 380 camo!!!!!
Excal Vixen black !!
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

willhunting wrote:With my Equinox, I fund the Flemish string is louder and have more vibration on the bow than the original (excel). What about yours?
Like I said above, that's because it's faster. Faster string more noise, sorry but that's crossbows for ya. :?
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
BUD-FIELDS

Post by BUD-FIELDS »

Hey Wes.. Yes sir... I have made numerous visits to the forum here. To answer your question.. I am currently the outdoor columnist for the KOKOMO PERSPECTIVE newspaper in Kokomo, Indiana.

I got started using a crossbow in 2007/2008 and I LOVE IT... After some physical injuries and corrective surgeries and the onset of arthritis made shooting a "verticle" bow difficult and painful, I decided to swith to a crossbow. It has enabled me to stay active in archery hunting. REGARDLESS of what MANY "UN-EDUCATED, UNDER-INFORMED" people think... shooting a crossbow is FUN and ACCEPTABLE..

THANKS TO EVERYONE for your assistance... I contacted Danny Miller and I have some new strings headed to Indiana..

Bud Fields
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Welcome to the forum , BUD, !!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Dave :D
Last edited by papa bear1 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

BUD-FIELDS wrote:Hey Wes.. Yes sir... I have made numerous visits to the forum here. To answer your question.. I am currently the outdoor columnist for the KOKOMO PERSPECTIVE newspaper in Kokomo, Indiana.

I got started using a crossbow in 2007/2008 and I LOVE IT... After some physical injuries and corrective surgeries and the onset of arthritis made shooting a "verticle" bow difficult and painful, I decided to swith to a crossbow. It has enabled me to stay active in archery hunting. REGARDLESS of what MANY "UN-EDUCATED, UNDER-INFORMED" people think... shooting a crossbow is FUN and ACCEPTABLE..

THANKS TO EVERYONE for your assistance... I contacted Danny Miller and I have some new strings headed to Indiana..

Bud Fields
Welcome back Bud, I thought I recognize you, stick around this time and congrats on new job

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
BUD-FIELDS

Post by BUD-FIELDS »

Wes... I NEVER really went anyplace... Just NEVER had any issues with my EXCALIBUR until the string started fraying and some strands busted.

I have had ALOT of fun shooting with the Phoenix. I have taken about 15 deer since I started using it and to consider that I was told it would be better if I dropped out of archery hunting.. I am GLAD I made the decision to get a crossbow and continue hunting.

I have written MANY articles about the transition I have made from "verticle" bows to a crossbow and I have also been very instrumental helping other people make the switch when they also suffered some injuries, etc.

I am seriously considering adding the new cheekpiece to my Phoenix SOON. Wish they made a thumb-hole stock for the Phoenix... Lack of funds make it necessary to keep the Phoenix and it sure has "earned it's keep..."

Bud Fields