oh no help!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gamikatsu

oh no help!!!

Post by Gamikatsu »

Shooting the Excalibur tonight and all of a sudden arrows are flying everywhere.... smallest group I can get is 4 in at 20 yds. With field tips Muzzy, rage practice, or montecs. I brought it in and checked it over and all the screws were loose dealing with the scope mounts. Seems its vibrating them loose. I tightened them down and groups shrank but still not what it used to be... any ideas? I checked and tightened all the screws I could see bit nothing...
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
crazyfarmerHD

Re: oh no help!!!

Post by crazyfarmerHD »

the scope coming loose wouldnt have thrown the bow off.. you may be just wore out so go back and try again tomorrow;)

u can just a small drop of lock tite (medium) on those if you want. Mine came loose before also. Just re sight it in after you get it a break.. when things go wrong, we get paranoid and its not what they seem to be. If you cant get 1-2inch groups with a solid rest tomorrow let us know
aka crazyfarmer
Deer Whisperer
custom cowwackerz
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

You're using a rope cocker, right?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Generally when they start shootin all over like that its scope/rings/mount problems
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

Rope cocked yes. I rested for two hours. Going out to shoot some more now. Switching to different arrows just to rule those two I practice shoot with. I'm anal and the bow shop only had fire bolts in yellow FL etching and not orange like the rest.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
cowfish

Post by cowfish »

Got to shoot my vortex today and mine that was making an od sound semms to be fixed scope never came lose though thinking about loctiting all the screws now.Hope all goes well!
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

tightened everything, back to stacking arrows. thank goodness. i was scared. a lot of twang/rattle is dissepated as well. guess i get to blue loctite everything. i did learn, that it does NOT like Firebolts tipped with Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr. sprays them like a shotgun. if i use a Lumen arow (lumenok branded arrows) with a brass insert it punches them very tight. guessing a FOC issue with the light weight firebolts.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Gamikatsu wrote:tightened everything, back to stacking arrows. thank goodness. i was scared. a lot of twang/rattle is dissepated as well. guess i get to blue loctite everything. i did learn, that it does NOT like Firebolts tipped with Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr. sprays them like a shotgun. if i use a Lumen arow (lumenok branded arrows) with a brass insert it punches them very tight. guessing a FOC issue with the light weight firebolts.
Blue loctite all the way for me. That means all hardware except for the scope rings.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

hankenhunter wrote:I know the feeling. It's like your bow is one of your kids. When some thing goes wrong, it's panic time. At the very least a strong show of concern. Am I Right everyone? :wink: Hank
No panic here as I know my bow.
Pretty easy to track down the annoyance on an Excal. 8)
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

if i could only get firebolts to shoot muzzys... i think i'm going to take one, and pull the insert out... replace with a brass insert... and see how it shoots.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Never Panic its an Excal! Someone will knowed what to tell someone who needs help wid them. Some of the Folks on here have had Excals long as they been sellin them
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

i would have paniced too. when you have something and it going great, then when it doesn't, makes you wonder what heck happened.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
crazyfarmerHD

Post by crazyfarmerHD »

I tried to pull the inserts out of mine and pulled half the carbon out with them.. They use some string glue in those firebolts

but yes the FOC can cause issues and thats probably it.. I could get muzzys to group well with any arrow combo though but others have good luck with them. Muzzy was the only one I used for years and years but had to switch.
aka crazyfarmer
Deer Whisperer
custom cowwackerz
Dash

Post by Dash »

Glad you sorted it. Once you get to know your bow well, any change in sound/vibration is a sure sighn something is loose or not right. Its then just a matter of feeling around and isolating the culprit giving you trouble.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Gotta ask, why not just use Boltcutter bheads w/ your Firebolts? They were designed to go together...........
"Eze 18:21"