Ordered a new Rifle, What Scopes?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Limbs and Sticks

Re: Ordered a new Rifle, What Scopes?

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Trx480Ryan wrote:Right now im looking at this one? Anyone have any experience with this Burris?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/810122 ... icle-matte

I only have one leupold at this time but have owned many with no complaints,I prefer Burris just as good as any with clear glass and same warranty as leupold and the price is right. The link below has a 2x7x35 camouflage burris, this is where I get mine.

Wes

http://enews.opticsplanet.com/newslette ... 3578a9d74c
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers

Post by newbie »

Take a look at the Redfield Revolution, i purchased one last yr in 3x9x40 and put in on top of a x-bolt 30.06 and love it. Made by Luepold in their plant in Oregon since they purchased the Brand. Full lifetime warranty. I paid 188.99 last fall but i see they went up this year to 255.72. the revolution is the only one made in the U.S.A their new additions are made offshore. Its basically a vxI.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Trx480Ryan

Post by Trx480Ryan »

Thanks for the info guys, im going to keep my eyes open, be a couple weeks before i get the Rifle!
2011 Excalibur Equinox With Quiver and Varizone
Remington 870 With Camera Mount
Ruger 10/22 With Scope and See through Mounts
2004 Trx450r with a little work.
1995 Ranger with a little work.
JohnDoeHunter

Post by JohnDoeHunter »

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-R ... -P608.aspx

For the money, probably the best 3x9 out there. I have a friend that has one and it is as good as a VX-III 3.5x10 and a lot less money. Well worth the $400 they ask for them.
John
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

When my step dad passed away, I inherited a bunch of different rifles from him, some with and without scopes. There's quite an awray a scopes in the safe right now.

I'll second what the majority has said about Leupold. I've got several and they're tough as nails, hold their zero, and can take the recoil from bigger guns. Burris is also a good brand that is often overlooked. Another that doesn't get much press is Simmons Aetec. The lower model Simmons are junk, but I've had good luck with the Aetec.

A good general rule of thumb on buying a scope is to pay as much for the scope as you do for the rifle. Cheap glass is just that, cheap glass.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

If your heart is set on Leupold, be cautious where you buy it if you live in Canada. Korth group (Leupold Canada) is not warrantying the scopes if they are bought at the big stores like Bass Pro. They are protesting the import laws the big stores skirted by by-passing Korth.
It's the name (and the gold ring) you pay for. The Redfield is made in the same factory from the same parts, and for skipping the gold ring you will save a whole lot of money.
The Vortex line is worth looking at too, some claim it is a better warranty. Vortex allows over the counter swaps opposed to sending it away, that is a big plus in the warranty world. The optics are very clean as well.
But, like everything else in the world, it will depend on what "you" feel is best. Everybody's eyes are different, pick the scope you see the best through.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Trx480Ryan wrote:Right now im looking at this one? Anyone have any experience with this Burris?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/810122 ... icle-matte
I have a Burris Full Field II 3x9x40 with a ballistic plx reticle and prefer it over the Elite 3200 because it's clearer at lower light situations which is is a big factor for hunting. I have also compared it side by side with a 4200 and it's just as clear but at a better price.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
mitch

Post by mitch »

I got 2 Leupold 1 on my 308 and 1 on a 22 mag. made specially for 22 rifle.I am very please with bot of them.
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

Ryan you can't go wrong with burris thier warranty is one of the best in the industry ,life time and great customer service, still have an original fullfield 3-9, 20 plus years on my sako finnbear .270 clear as a bell shoots lights out, i also have acouple of var 3's leupolds like them a lot also . I've got more rifle and scope combos than than a person needs, i match em for thier intended use.That being said if the other half insisted in a nasty way clean out the war room ineed a laundry room, that wash board and creek don't work fer me no more, ya kin keep one long gun; it would be the fullfield and finnbear all day long....
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
Trx480Ryan

Post by Trx480Ryan »

Im definitely think it will be the Burris E1 With illum, recticle,

Decent price and seems to be a performer, we will see, but i've been really eyeing them up, have to check one out in person before i seal the deal on one
swalsh

Post by swalsh »

Have you looked at Nikon yet? I just bought a prostaff 3-9 x 40 with bdc reticle. The glass is clear and it didn't cost a fortune, under $200. I don't think the addage of pay as much for your optics as you did for your gun holds true anymore, not with technology today, a middle of the road scope today is probably as good if not better than a high end scope was 15 yrs ago. By the way I put the nikon on a Tikka T3 lite 300wsm shoots excellent.
Sean
I Hunt, I Fish, I Am
Trx480Ryan

Post by Trx480Ryan »

Yupp i also looked at the Nikon with the BDC, its vary comparable to the E1 Reticle... the only reason im leaning towards the Burris is i can get the illuminated retcicle, wich was the only complaints of the BDC stlye reticles i've found in the reviews online,

Time will tell,

Ry
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

I haven't been super impressed with Burris scopes. I had two break on me. Of course Burris replaced them with no questions asked, but still the fact that the reticles kicked loose bothered me.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

What caliber rifle were your scopes on?
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Bullzeye wrote:What caliber rifle were your scopes on?
Yeah, been looking at Burris for a pistol scope on a .454 Casull. The last thing I want is for that bugger to start rattling around on me. :shock:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.