Climbing Treestands and Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Horizontal Hunter

Climbing Treestands and Crossbows

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

What do you guys recommend for a climbing treestand that is Excal friendly. I am leaning toward the Summit Viper or Goliath and i am interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,
Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Normous

Re: Climbing Treestands and Crossbows

Post by Normous »

Bob,you are correct with those two choices.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Tennessee Rebel

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

TREEWALKER. Ilove mine!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

enormous wrote:Bob,you are correct with those two choices.

X2

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I have a Big Buddy Ladder Stand that is a few years old and I like it. It needs a few modifications as far as I am concerned, I just haven't done them yet, but hopefully will do it this year in the next few weeks before I put it out. I am not planning on buying a tree climber stand nor can I afford to anyway but I was just wondering about the health part of it. I have heard that you need to be in good physical shape to use a tree climbing stand is that correct or is it a bunch of BS?
Thanks,
Raymond
roly

Post by roly »

With your back Bob , you could have
your hands full
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Tennessee Rebel wrote:TREEWALKER. Ilove mine!
I have a friend that has one the "teeth" are too aggressive and do too much damage to the tree to suit me. There has been more than one land owner that has had an issue with this in my area.
Raymond wrote:Hey Folks,
I have a Big Buddy Ladder Stand that is a few years old and I like it. It needs a few modifications as far as I am concerned, I just haven't done them yet, but hopefully will do it this year in the next few weeks before I put it out. I am not planning on buying a tree climber stand nor can I afford to anyway but I was just wondering about the health part of it. I have heard that you need to be in good physical shape to use a tree climbing stand is that correct or is it a bunch of BS?
Thanks,
Raymond
I had a lot of misconceptions about them until I actually tried one. Much easier, safer, and far more stable than I ever thought.
roly wrote:With your back Bob , you could have
your hands full
I will definitely have to be careful. I tried a friends Summit Viper and it was pretty easy to manage. I just have to let my legs do the work.

Much of the town lands in my neck of the woods are starting to require portable tree stands for the hunts these days. This is an effort to sooth the worries of someone getting shot with an arrow they are requiring tree stands, proficiency tests and other nonsense.

One piece of property requires a portable stand from 8' to 20', harness, florescent orange, a proficiency test, a background check, and limits the hunting hours from 4:30 AM to 1:00 PM. Crazy stuff.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
rayman

Post by rayman »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:One piece of property requires a portable stand from 8' to 20', harness, florescent orange, a proficiency test, a background check, and limits the hunting hours from 4:30 AM to 1:00 PM. Crazy stuff.
Around here you either pay a ton of money to be in a stupid club or you hunt the public land with the rest of the wack jobs. I'm fortunate enough to have some private property to hunt.

I started using two-seater ladder stands almost excusively a few years ago. Comfortable and much safer than climbers or hang-ons. Can take my son with me too. Still use my old man when the need arises. :)
gab

Post by gab »

Despite having over 40 years of hunting experience, I have never owned a tree stand until recently. I did a lot of reading and decided on the Summit Viper. However, last week when I was on vacation and went to the Cabelas in northern Washington state (nobody carries them on Vancouver Island where I live) they had no Vipers and only one Goliath. So I bought the Goliath. It is rated for 350 pounds so I can afford to gain 200 pounds.

Several questions now come to mind:

How high in general do people hang their stands when hunting deer?

Am I supposed to use the safety harness as I am climbing up the tree or wait until I have climbed to the desired height?

What about the cocking of the crossbow. Do I cock on the ground and raise the crossbow cocked via rope or try to cock it while up a tree?

I decided on a climbing tree stand because I hunt on forest land where there is a lot of hunting and other recreational activity and was concerned with someone stealing the stand.
strum

Post by strum »

[quote="gab"]Several questions now come to mind:

i have been known to go 30 even 40 ft..but its all up the situation. on flat terrain 12 -20 works pretty good..
Am I supposed to use the safety harness as I am climbing up the tree or wait until I have climbed to the desired height?
I used to never use mine till i was up there..but now i hook my harness and slide the strap as i go..it takes a little longer(not much) but its much safer ..most falls happen accending or decending

What about the cocking of the crossbow. Do I cock on the ground and raise the crossbow cocked via rope or try to cock it while up a tree?
You can cock your bow on the ground and then rope it ..alot of folks do that..I have no problem cocking mine in the stand.I use a summit viper.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

I have a Summit Razor and like it. I always use my safety harness. I put it on at the truck, hook it to the tree before stepping into the stand, and stays on until my feet hit the ground. I take the arrow off my when pulling the bow up, but do leave it cocked.
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

strum wrote:
gab wrote:Several questions now come to mind:

i have been known to go 30 even 40 ft..but its all up the situation. on flat terrain 12 -20 works pretty good..
I used to never use mine till i was up there..but now i hook my harness and slide the strap as i go..it takes a little longer(not much) but its much safer ..most falls happen accending or decending

You can cock your bow on the ground and then rope it ..alot of folks do that..I have no problem cocking mine in the stand.I use a summit viper.
Just make sure if you cock it 0n the ground that the bolt is removed and the safety is ON before you pull it up LOL
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

strum wrote:
gab wrote:Several questions now come to mind:

This will be my first time hunting out of a tree stand with a crossbow also, My wife bought me a Summit Titan for Fathers Day. How do you cock your crossbow in the stand?

Also reading the instructions They say practice with a responsible adult present so my wife has volunteered to be out with me when I practice.

Randy, The Birddog.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

In a treestand (unless you have a cocking aid) it is sort of backwards from doing it on the ground. While in the seated position, after grabbing hold of the server and placing your foot in the stirrup, bend the knee of the stirruped foot drawing it up. Keep your arms straight on the server and then just straighten out that stirruped leg letting it do what your arms/back would normally do on the ground. You may (depending upon length of pull) have to bend your arms some to get the server to catch the latch. Viola!
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

Thanks MarkMarine, I'll have to try that and if it works for me I'll practice it when in the stand at home.

Randy, The Birddog.