fishing lake ontario

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

fishing lake ontario

Post by dutchhunter »

got out fishing on wensday started out at the shell pier in 100 feet of water and most fish came in 150 feet of water 80 feet down . we had to call it a day at 11 am as it was just to hot out ; ended uo with 5 fish for the day . here i a shot of the bigger one s
dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
masboy

Re: fishing lake ontario

Post by masboy »

that,s some nice fish! we were out lastnight livebait fishing and got 5 nice flatheads and had to leave early because of storms coming down the river.
G Skinner

Post by G Skinner »

DAM ! Ed
You keep this up I might get my boat back out and You will be at fault for making my Wife a " FISHING WIDOW ! "
Glen
GOOD LUCK AND PLAY SAFE !
rayman

Post by rayman »

Very nice! Wish we could catch salmon around here. About $10/lb at the store and quality is hit or miss.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Nice catch!
Been catching bluegills & bass with the fly rod here. Nothing big & CPR (catch - photograph - release) but still fun!
wabi
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

i like to release fish as well BUT theses bad boys are in the brine waiting to hit the smoker monday morning DUTCH :wink:
Hot Pepper Dude

Post by Hot Pepper Dude »

Very nice fish. I am going on a charter this Saturday from Port Credit. Hope to catch some as good as yours.
Regards, Erik.
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

Great fish , too bad you didn't release it . Any fish over 3 lbs. caught in Lake Ontario is not fit for eating ! Mercury , dioxins , mirex and other contaminates are in the meat. The LCBO has a book on pollution levels in fish onthe Great Lakes and the safe levels for consumption . I gave up fishing the Great Lakes for chinook , coho salmon , rainbow and lake trout because of the polluted toxins in their meat . Ray
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

the water has never be cleaner in the last 20 years . all fish are super clean with the odd eel bite .i have no problem eating a few fish from lake ontario . it is also a put and take fishery . no i would not eat it every day but to put a bunch on the smoker oh ya anyday . yummmmmy DUTCH
rayman

Post by rayman »

Not an expert on the subject but I wouldn't think the toxin level in wild fish from a large body of water would be any worse, or as bad for that matter, as the farm raised fish and shrimp that people get at stores and restaurants.
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

I worked in a Steel mill in Hamilton , oil , anti-freeze and other toxins were dumped into Hamilton Bay , DAILY ! Over 30 years I witness this dumping and its still happening ! I'm not talking 10 gallons , but 1000 gallons and more from each steel making department . Princess Point in Hamilton is an example of a polluted site. They were going to dredge it out , after taking a sediment core sample : they found the bottom was toxic ,tomore than 25 feet ! This polluted area is 15 miles from these Steel mills ! Windemere basin on Hamilton bay is the hotist polluted spot in Ontario ! These fish have tumors and deformities caused by Steel mill by -product dumpings . Ray
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Nice fish Ed did launch the boat at Bronte?I was thinking of going to 50 point.
The best things in life are not things!!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Wow, that is a good size fish. That will make some good size fillets. Thanks for giving us a look. Now that would make for a good fight I am thinking. How long did it take to land that fish?
Raymond
Tom

Post by Tom »

xbhntr wrote:Great fish , too bad you didn't release it . Any fish over 3 lbs. caught in Lake Ontario is not fit for eating ! Mercury , dioxins , mirex and other contaminates are in the meat. The LCBO has a book on pollution levels in fish onthe Great Lakes and the safe levels for consumption . I gave up fishing the Great Lakes for chinook , coho salmon , rainbow and lake trout because of the polluted toxins in their meat . Ray
I am sorry but you can not be further from the truth there xbhntr.

Yes there are chemicals in the fish, but you will also find that there are a lot more chemicals in "VIRGIN" lakes in Norther Ontario. Plus very little of the meat holds the chemicals. You will find these in the fatty parts, the latterial line (the dark meat) and close to the back bone. IF you fillet them and remove these portions you remove almost 90% of the chemicals in the fish.

Now since they say that you can eat 1 meal a week safely ( they assume you are going to consume all the chemicals when they say that), you will be really safe when you get rid of almost 90% would you not say.

Now you might be asking how I know this, well my family did run a charter boat business in Lake Ontario for almost 20 years. Things like this we needed to know and the MNR was very helpful. Yes we even had a box of those books at the boat for anyone that wanted one.

Would I eat a large Salmon from Lake Ontario, YES I would, but I do prefer smaller4 - 8 pounds as the meat is firmer ...... BUT Pickerel (Walleye for you Americans) and Perch are my top 2 choices.

Nice Catch ........ those pics did take me back to the days when we ran the boat.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

I'm going to add my" last two cents worth ", do you believe " The Government " ? If the truth is known then the loss of revenue would be financially enormous ! Ray