I'm in the club

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

emptyfreezer

I'm in the club

Post by emptyfreezer »

I was target shooting at the cottage and my father in law asked me a question as I was cocking. Of course my brain immediately is overloaded (can't walk and chew gum) and I pulled the trigger only to hear that awful "thwack". The Axiom sucked it up like a champ. After a quick once-over I put one right back on target. So my father in law asked me how the negligible weight of an arrow can make a difference when you fire and why can a dry-fire cause so much damage on compound x-bows. I admitted I didn't know. Anybody?
Empty freezer and overloaded brain
georgiaboy

Re: I'm in the club

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the club!! :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Welcome to the club,,,,,,, :shock:
I think it is due to lack of resistance :roll: Not real sure, :roll: but somebody on here does, and they will get w/you.....

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

I am not an Engineer or a Physicist. But from a layman's point of view there are 2 factors. One, the compound bows are on the edge of blowing up on every shot. Two, Excaliburs are that good!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

well Kathy allmost became a member! as she can,t cock the bow i cocked it handed her the bow and was reaching for a arrow and turned back to give her one as i noticed her flipping off the safety and i said stop! theres no arrow and her reply was i never noticed
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome to the club. What an amazing product Excalibur has made. I will always be an Excalibur Hunter. Nothing but the best they are. I dry fired my Equinox twice in the same day and never damaged a thing. I learned three important lessons, first how great an Excalibur crossbow is and second how great a forum we have here, the people that makes this forum what it is today also, and third do not go practicing with your crossbow when you are not feeling well and do not have your mind in it.
Thank you,
Raymond
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Welcome to the club, I thought I would never do that as well but I was humbled one day myself. My Vortex also survived without even throwing a string.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
spike

Post by spike »

The arrow absorbs the energy created by the string moving forward as it is released. If there is no arrow, the energy is transferred to the limbs. It is possible to break the limbs this way. Excals are very good for withstanding that shock.

The dryfire is common especially to folks just starting (but experienced shooters do it as well). The factory string which comes with the bow is more forgiving and will stretch to absorb some of that shock. A string like Boo makes isn't as dry fire friendly and he will ask how much experience a shooter has before selling him one.

You have lots of company, including me.

Spike
ROGER
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Ditto What Spike said. its not much weight but the weight of the arrow and the force the bow uses to launch it is what prevents "dry fire type" damage every shot.

If you played baseball much its like taking a hard swing at a ball. When you connect it feels good and your swing stops relatively easily. when you miss you cork screw your self into the ground or wrench your back. That's the difference between transferring energy from the swing to the ball or absorbing it all yourself...

As always baseball explains everything... :D
strum

Post by strum »

Galgo wrote:Ditto What Spike said. its not much weight but the weight of the arrow and the force the bow uses to launch it is what prevents "dry fire type" damage every shot.

If you played baseball much its like taking a hard swing at a ball. When you connect it feels good and your swing stops relatively easily. when you miss you cork screw your self into the ground or wrench your back. That's the difference between transferring energy from the swing to the ball or absorbing it all yourself...

As always baseball explains everything... :D
good one Galgo :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
emptyfreezer

Post by emptyfreezer »

Thanks for clarifying the energy transfer situation. Great baseball analogy. I usually say "cock,lock,load" as I'm going through the motions, but let myself get distracted. Unfortunately, I know myself well enough that I'm sure it will happen again. As long as there is no venison in front of me, it shouldn't be too bad, thanks to the Excal. Thanks for all the replies. I know I'm not alone...
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

We're gonna need a bigger clubhouse soon! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

j.krug wrote:We're gonna need a bigger clubhouse soon! :lol:
All the cool kids hang out there! :D :D :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Me also, but not really...

Built some new arrows with the new nockturnal nocks for crossbow, and experienced my first dry fire. Exocet 200 is about 6 mos old, and this is the first for me.

Have the S5 dampeners on it, using an older flemish dacron string (like it cause it adjusts nicely for the S5 and it's safer I guess for this very situation). Anyway, it seems my limbs are fine and the string seems ok.

The design of the nockturnal with the smaller protruding button/switch to turn the light on provides for a much smaller nock surface, and my string just slid under the arrow upon firing, stripped off the cock vane, and wham, what a weird sound.

I'm sending the nockturnals back to maker with letter of non recommendation for crossbow. I did read on another forum where a ten-point owner experienced the exact same situation.

So, lumenoks, I'll just have to stay with your more conventional, simpler design.

Larrie